Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Phill Fish Quits Gaming Again...May have lied about getting hacked...  (Read 1430 times)

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welp He quit again... Nothing to unusual

1.5GB of data relating to the company and Fez's game files Hacked and released...Wait What...

Hold On a second

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: For people who don't want to look at the png his Company's Website is hosted by Cloudfire...
People are starting to pick his story apart because of Cloudfire's security feature's
Cloudfire requires access from all of the registered devices to himself to be able to change the site.
The Best Hacker's Can do is a DDoS attack. However on the site was posted information about his employee's and game files to Fez. He Blamed /v/ for the hack. However /v/ claims a hack was never planned. It is shaping up that he posted the files and claimed to have been hacked...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:34:37 pm by ConsUme »
Goddamit SourceForge

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Phill Fish Quits Gaming Again...May have lied about getting hacked...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »

I always know I'm going to get the best information on an internet controversy from a long, low quality jpeg. This one is disappointingly short.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:42:59 pm »

is this the continuation of the dreaded 4chan vs tumblr episode or is it just general stupidity of a few "elites" who thought they were smarter than 10'000s of anonymous?
._.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 06:28:27 pm »

All the stuff in that image is bullshit. 2FA isn't some magic cure to internet security; if someone wants to hack you in a targeted manner and know what they're doing, they can do so if they've got a spare weekend unless you literally don't use a computer.

15 seconds is enough time for several GB of data, not just 1.5, so long as you've got a good net connection (like those the average university computing majors would have). And personal web servers are usually used for a lot more than just websites; most people who have them will also use them for game servers, cold storage of important stuff, ect.

And if I were a hacker out to get them, those are literally exactly what I would have done. Post to their websites, since their websites are known to currently be watched by the 4chan crowd, who would see the info instantly without the need to spread pastebins, and because it would add an extra cherry on top of the insult of the hacking itself. "Judging from previous examples" is crap, as a hacker will do whatever they want with the data they acquire.

The final stage in the attack would be done as simultaneously as possibly in order to avoid raising suspicion, prospects of failure, and potential of being caught, all of which would increase if the targets were aware they were being hacked (as they would be if the final stage was done one by one). You would want to complete this final stage as quickly and simultaneously as possible.

Or in summary, if they were hacked, that's exactly what it would look like.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 06:34:00 pm »

15 seconds is enough time for several GB of data,

No it's not. Those are gygabytes, while network speed is mesured in gygabits. So they'd need a ten gygabits connection, if the storage speed can follow, which it usually cannot do.

if someone wants to hack you in a targeted manner and know what they're doing, they can do so if they've got a spare weekend unless you literally don't use a computer.

Yeah, but that's above what 4chan can usually do.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 06:44:39 pm »

15 seconds is enough time for several GB of data,

No it's not. Those are gygabytes, while network speed is mesured in gygabits. So they'd need a ten gygabits connection, if the storage speed can follow, which it usually cannot do.
That's per second. For 15 seconds. So from a university, you could get around 2GB of data up in that time. And assuming you would immediately leave the system or whatnot, 15 seconds is more than enough. Not that there's even a source of said '15 second' figure anyway, so that's a moot point to begin with.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 06:55:48 pm »

The average desktop PC with the average home Internet connection cannot do that. Systems designed to deal with high data volumes should be able to move 1.5 gigabytes from point A to point B in under 15 seconds trivially. If they couldn't, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, the Internet wouldn't function because servers wouldn't be able to handle even small loads (thousands of users) without an industrial-scale data complex to spread it out.

EDIT: For clarity, I'm saying "It happened too fast, this is impossible" is not true. It indicates only that, if there was a hacker, the data was moved through good hardware and a good Internet connection.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:59:26 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »

I'm really disappointed this isn't called Fishgate. Unless that's been taken by a previous Phill Fish controversy.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 07:14:23 pm »

If 4chan did that, the first thing they would do is to change the password on his Twitter.

Except he totally posted that tweet about him getting hacked. So the password on twitter wasn't changed. So he wasn't actually hacked.
._.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 07:17:33 pm »

They're separate systems. They may simply have seen no point in doing so, especially if they wanted lulz at seeing a response from them.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 07:20:54 pm »

I don't see what's so lulz-worthy in releasing 1.5 GB of random company information without even posting a snarky comment.
._.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 08:43:18 pm »

How about watching someone get accused of hacking themselves pretty much solely because the internet doesn't like them? If I had orchestrated this situation, I would find it hilarious right now.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 08:48:53 pm »

Never grow up, Phil.
Never grow up.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: [1] 2