Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (TOURNAMENT ENDED)  (Read 26852 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (Registrations still open)
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2014, 06:53:54 pm »

+4 Slaying vs +6 AC?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2014, 07:31:33 pm »

found a +12 spear of profu with Pierce and Relec
next to a +8 chain mail of the failed coup STr+3 Int+2 Stlth++

........... did i mention i'm a claw using troll? the gods of RNG must be laughing at me

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:58:42 pm by Tegga21 »

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2014, 07:48:13 pm »

+4 Slaying vs +6 AC?

Slay if you're melee +4 to hit and dmg > the minor dmg less you'd take

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2014, 09:01:05 pm »

Don't forget to use Trog's Hand when something with a dangerous magical effect like paralyse appears - the buff to MR really helps.
My typical plan for that situation is to buff to the gills, pop a fear scroll to disperse the ambush, then run down one of the side passages so I'm in a defensible hallway/corner, pop BIA and fight like a demon. It is probably not an optimal strategy, but then again Vaults is usually my 4th rune unless I lack rMut for the Abyss.

Thanks to the three of you, I cleared Vaults:5 without much trouble! The combination of buff spam + trog's hand kept things dying fast enough that I didn't lose all that much HP, and fear got me away from the ambush very easily. Rune 3, get!

I'd like to grab another rune from Slime, but with no rCorr/Acid, I don't feel all that comfortable with it. Perhaps if I take it really slow? Not quite sure if I should bother.

BaronMunchausen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2014, 09:16:55 pm »

I'm in. You can expect very few games played and Chei-like pacing.
What's your crawl username? I'll add you to the nobles.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2014, 09:22:03 pm »

You need the following amulets for Slime
Stasis
Clarity
Resist Mut
Corrosion

I wouldn't wander in there without at least 3 of 4

And the ability to bottleneck/haste the royal jelly down

Don't forget to use Trog's Hand when something with a dangerous magical effect like paralyse appears - the buff to MR really helps.
My typical plan for that situation is to buff to the gills, pop a fear scroll to disperse the ambush, then run down one of the side passages so I'm in a defensible hallway/corner, pop BIA and fight like a demon. It is probably not an optimal strategy, but then again Vaults is usually my 4th rune unless I lack rMut for the Abyss.

Thanks to the three of you, I cleared Vaults:5 without much trouble! The combination of buff spam + trog's hand kept things dying fast enough that I didn't lose all that much HP, and fear got me away from the ambush very easily. Rune 3, get!

I'd like to grab another rune from Slime, but with no rCorr/Acid, I don't feel all that comfortable with it. Perhaps if I take it really slow? Not quite sure if I should bother.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2014, 09:45:29 pm »

So my MiFi was handed a Vampiric Demon Trident on D:9. Well, he was using a +1 Whip of Venom, with no training in Polearms, but if you insist, game.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2014, 10:09:42 pm »

Well I just lost my MiBe in one of the Zot:5 Orb lungs. There goes all my will to play. Sucks not getting a single source of Resist Fire (and only one source of rC) all game, as the one pip from pot of resist wasn't enough to comfortably tank OOFs. Should of popped tele earlier, but fatfingered the wrong key and wasted a turn. Still not used to not having the local tiles GUI.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:07 pm »

Well I just lost my MiBe in one of the Zot:5 Orb lungs. There goes all my will to play. Sucks not getting a single source of Resist Fire (and only one source of rC) all game, as the one pip from pot of resist wasn't enough to comfortably tank OOFs. Should of popped tele earlier, but fatfingered the wrong key and wasted a turn. Still not used to not having the local tiles GUI.

You're able to play online with tiles, just fyi. The games even count for the tournament. I don't know the links for all the servers, but for akrasiac it's:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#lobby

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2014, 10:28:17 pm »

I know that. The online tiles GUI is ages behind the local tiles - there is no on-screen inventory, mouse input, and a few other things. It's difficult to get used to. On the plus side, I've started to become accustomed to diagonal keyboard movement, which is a lot easier than clicking with the mouse.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2014, 10:33:24 pm »

I know that. The online tiles GUI is ages behind the local tiles - there is no on-screen inventory, mouse input, and a few other things. It's difficult to get used to. On the plus side, I've started to become accustomed to diagonal keyboard movement, which is a lot easier than clicking with the mouse.

Ah, ok. Sorry. I solely use the ASCII display and just ssh in, so while I knew tiles existed, I had no idea there were multiple versions.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2014, 11:45:18 pm »

Rex are you insane? You can't do Zot5 without fire res!!!! 

You can butcher a fire dragon / gold dragon for a hide and enchant it for rF (you killed 34)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:48:21 pm by Tegga21 »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2014, 11:52:56 pm »

Wasn't entirely sure if I should. Only had one extra enchant scroll by the time I was aware no rF spawned, and a PDA +9 vs GDA +0/FDA +0 is a hard decision to make just for the rF.

Anyway I could of done better. Should of buffed before entering, not when I saw the first monster, and I should have rebranded my exec axe to cold. And spammed BIA beforehand. And gone about the whole thing more carefully - but I was excited, since I hadn't won a game since .13.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:15 am »

yeah, 1 rF+ is worth the 10ac though, half fire dmg, those orbs tear things up
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23