Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (TOURNAMENT ENDED)  (Read 26778 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (Registrations still open)
« Reply #285 on: September 05, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »

I just found a piece of pearl dragon armour on Lair:2. I didn't even know that was possible.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2014, 05:47:02 pm »

Okay, so I'm considering going for the Slime Pits rune this run, since it's apparently a lot less dangerous nowadays. I'm running a Deep Dwarf fighter of Makhleb, dabbling in a few hexes and possibly some conjurations, and taking a bit of throwing since I found a good supply of returning javelins. I'm using maces & flails (Currently a +6 holy wrath mace that gives blinking), and I've found an amulet of resist corrosion. I'd post a chardump, but frankly, I haven't even gotten through the first few Lair levels yet. He's going to be vastly different once it actually comes time to raid the Slime Pits.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2014, 07:01:30 pm »

Okay, so I'm considering going for the Slime Pits rune this run, since it's apparently a lot less dangerous nowadays. I'm running a Deep Dwarf fighter of Makhleb, dabbling in a few hexes and possibly some conjurations, and taking a bit of throwing since I found a good supply of returning javelins. I'm using maces & flails (Currently a +6 holy wrath mace that gives blinking), and I've found an amulet of resist corrosion. I'd post a chardump, but frankly, I haven't even gotten through the first few Lair levels yet. He's going to be vastly different once it actually comes time to raid the Slime Pits.

yeah slime pits is quite a bit less dangerous to your long term game, but it is a bit more deadly without preparation.  Prepare to be fighting without your AC and weapon damage if you don't wear resist corrosion against the royal jelly.  Also make sure you clear out all of the escape paths you might take before dropping down to the last floor.  I made the mistake of not clearing out part of a level only accessible from a lower up staircase, and then made my escape up it to an unexplored room full of jellies.

Make sure you have scrolls of blinking and some type of speed enhancer so you can disengage and try again if you need to.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2014, 07:28:11 pm »

I'd say it's not so much that Slime is less dangerous, but that the alternatives (Vault 5 or Abyss) are more dangerous.

My advice would be that if you are tough, have good defences and primarily kill things in melee, then Vault 5 is probably easier, while if you are more fragile but have a powerful ranged attack like Fire Storm or even high powered fire/cold bolts, then you're probably better off doing Slime.

Edit: one way in which Slime is less dangerous, is that AFAIK Giant Eyeballs were removed so you no longer have to worry about being randomly paralysed.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2014, 09:28:40 pm »

Nemelex Combo win!  Deep Elf Warper!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2014, 03:27:05 am »

God fucking dammit.

I just lost my DDFi, probably my best character so far, because I hit the wrong button and summoned a hostile tier 1 demon (Don't remember what it was) instead on charging my Wand of Healing.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2014, 06:06:17 am »

Congratulations on that. DEWr has got to be a pretty tricky combo, as you start off with escape abilities but not a lot of ways to kill things, especially with DE's lousy aptitudes for weapons. At least until Vehumet's gifts start appearing.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 06, 2014, 11:46:54 am »

Deep elf master archers gets a double turn, shoots 4 arrows, all hit, 80 damage, bye bye High elf air elementalist >_>
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2014, 11:48:28 am »

Deep elf master archers gets a double turn, shoots 4 arrows, all hit, 80 damage, bye bye High elf air elementalist >_>

Yes these guys are so much stronger than the rest of elf 3, they have crazy EV too.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »

Code: [Select]
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0-16-gce31824 (webtiles) character file.

1410259 DrFeelgood the Eclecticist (level 26, 170/170 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist on Sept 3, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Sif Muna.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Sept 6, 2014!

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/DrFeelgood/morgue-DrFeelgood-20140906-165641.txt

Games won/played  2/2 (100.00%)

I was planning on going for a 15-rune win, but a few unlucky teleports in Zot caused me to panic and grab the Orb.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2014, 03:57:14 pm »

Congratulations on that. DEWr has got to be a pretty tricky combo, as you start off with escape abilities but not a lot of ways to kill things, especially with DE's lousy aptitudes for weapons. At least until Vehumet's gifts start appearing.

Died a few times then found a fire elementalist book then the best find I've had in any game +2 hat of the archmagi for 936 gold

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2014, 04:11:27 pm »

I never worked this hard for a rune before.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (Registrations closed! Come wish us luck!)
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2014, 09:16:26 pm »

The first two rings I pick up on my DEFE were a Ring of Fire and a Ring of Magical Power. All on D:1.

Granted, it's somewhat irrelevant because I tend to just splat spell users by being overly aggressive (something I'm trying to work on), but it's still a nice start.

EDIT:

Yep. Surrounded by a mob of orcs and died.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:45:36 pm by Xgamer4 »
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (Registrations closed! Come wish us luck!)
« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2014, 11:23:42 am »

<Henzell> Vactor the Charmwright (L7 OpSk), slain by Miauw's ghost on D:4, with 480 points after 4165 turns and 0:10:04.
welp

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2014, 12:01:45 pm »

Fuck arrows.
Maybe I could have made it if I read a scroll of fog first, although he probably would have moved one tile closer and shot me anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23