Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (TOURNAMENT ENDED)  (Read 26777 times)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (Registrations still open)
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2014, 08:44:02 pm »

What's the general strategy for Scrolls of Enchant Weapon/Armor? I don't like using them immediately, because what I find a better weapon to use them on later... but if I die before finding something, they're wasted anyway. Or if I find a randart, they're wasted, too.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2014, 09:07:33 pm »

Depends if i'm playing a 'strong' combo I save them for my 'goal' weapon type (evening star, war axe, long bow) and rebrand

However if you're playing non strong combo, I'd use them until you get your weapon to say +4/5, survival is key, you can always farm later

What's the general strategy for Scrolls of Enchant Weapon/Armor? I don't like using them immediately, because what I find a better weapon to use them on later... but if I die before finding something, they're wasted anyway. Or if I find a randart, they're wasted, too.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2014, 09:12:22 pm »

I usually wait to ID single (unstacked) scrolls for when I have a next tier weapon, i.e. morningstar from flail or war axe from hand axe. Then I just use ID all of them and put the enchantment onto my better weapon, and if I have 3 or more that early on I'll get the weapon to +2 or +3 depending on my background. It pays off I think. Later on I deposit all of my enchant scrolls into my stash and wait for a good brand to show up before blowing 9/10 of weapon enchant on it. If I ID enchant armor early on I put it on a cloak/hat/boot/glove since I probably won't be replacing them any time soon, but generally I save enchant armor for dragon armor or a poison resist ego so I can keep a jewelry slot free. In any case I think it's better to use most of them before a dangerous dive like vault 5 or shoals (before you're buff), and after you've cleared vault save them for that special something you're waiting for.

EDIT: What Tegga21 said.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 03, 2014, 09:30:00 pm »

Ok, makes sense.

Next question. Just how good does an item have to be to justify putting up with the annoyance that is *Tele without an Amulet of Stasis?

Because this war axe I found on D:6 on a HOFi specializing in axes w/ shields is really, really tempting:
+9 war axe "Ruegusei" {flame, *Tele +Inv Str+4 SInv Stlth+}

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 03, 2014, 09:39:48 pm »

Thats a good axe, but teleportitis is really, really bad (and really, really annoying). I would honestly stay away until you do find stasis (or enough enchant scrolls to make your own).

As for scrolls of enchant, depends. I enchant boots/cloaks/gloves/helmets asap, since a d:1 boot is endgame gear. Scrolls of enchant weapon depends on what I've found, but if I'm with okawaru or trog I'll use them asap. Every time I do hold on to them, I end up finding or getting gifted a highly enchanted/artefact weapon anyway and they all go to waste.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:43:49 pm by Rex_Nex »

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »

Thats a good axe, but teleportitis is really, really bad (and really, really annoying). I would honestly stay away until you do find stasis (or enough enchant scrolls to make your own).

Yeah... that's about what I came to. I used it for a few floors (still early enough that everything died with it) but I just flat-out got fed up, said screw it, and am currently using a +4 war axe (freeze) I partially found, partially got lucky with a scroll of branding.
Yeah... that's

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2014, 09:50:17 pm »

I'd hold on to it for hydras, though.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 03, 2014, 10:37:17 pm »

Yep, that was the plan.

As a sidenote, hitting the Orcish Mines with a HOFi of Beogh, with above 3-star piety, remains one of the most hilarious things ever. There's no fighting that goes on at that point. It's just recruiting an army.

EDIT:
Correction. It's recruiting an army if you don't lead them on a suicide charge through level 4. Oops.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:53:20 pm by Xgamer4 »

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 03, 2014, 11:08:51 pm »

If i found a weapon of speed +99 that 1shot everything in melee but had teleportitis I would not use it

Ok, makes sense.

Next question. Just how good does an item have to be to justify putting up with the annoyance that is *Tele without an Amulet of Stasis?

Because this war axe I found on D:6 on a HOFi specializing in axes w/ shields is really, really tempting:
+9 war axe "Ruegusei" {flame, *Tele +Inv Str+4 SInv Stlth+}

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2014, 01:17:20 am »

Yep, that was the plan.

As a sidenote, hitting the Orcish Mines with a HOFi of Beogh, with above 3-star piety, remains one of the most hilarious things ever. There's no fighting that goes on at that point. It's just recruiting an army.

EDIT:
Correction. It's recruiting an army if you don't lead them on a suicide charge through level 4. Oops.

Ugh. I don't know about all that. I got really tired of playing hill orc priests because of how much crap is always going on, spamming the spacebar to get rid of --more-- (still haven't been told how to get rid of that prompt), worrying about orcs dying, holding onto every branded weapon I see to gift it, etc. Having a squad of warlords is great though, it's true. But my priests ALWAYS die, I guess gift them big armor or a big shield? Or is it basically just warlords by the time you get to the depths anyway?

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2014, 02:54:08 am »

Bay 12 games has the longest streak in the tourney so far! Go us!

Centaur Hunter win! (6 in a row!)

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tegga21/morgue-Tegga21-20140904-075327.txt
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:55:39 am by Tegga21 »

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2014, 04:48:58 am »

Found a load of spell books, with a lot of the spells I've really wanted all game - in Zot 4.  ::)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 04, 2014, 05:06:19 am »

Looked at the currently winning team and it looks like they are only ascending random characters with random gods.
Jesus Christ.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:14:02 am by Mindmaker »

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2014, 06:25:06 am »

Looked at the currently winning team and it looks like they are only ascending random characters with random gods.
Jesus Christ.

Last tournament both Tolias and Yemark spectated my game when I was in hell, tolias told me I may have been too weak to be there and I was so scared...

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2014, 06:43:08 am »

Bay 12 games has the longest streak in the tourney so far! Go us!

Centaur Hunter win! (6 in a row!)

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tegga21/morgue-Tegga21-20140904-075327.txt
Wow, that is an amazing streak. Even with good characters I usually lose 4 out of 5 to my own stupidity in the early game.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23