Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Dwarven Jail  (Read 1943 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Best Dwarven Jail
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:39:31 pm »

I have never had a big reason to make a jail in a fortress before, usually I don't have any trouble until the fortress is big enough that I can afford to just hire a guard and have them beat the crap out of unruly dwarves. However, in my most recent fortress half of every migrant wave comes in miserable and starts tantruming upon arrival (it seems to be due to proximity to a necromancer tower or evil biome, they all say they were attacked by the dead). And in .40, it appears that breaking things and kicking animals while tantruming is punishable by dwarven justice, which makes everyone happier knowing unruly dwarves are being punished (and as a result helping to stop tantrum spirals). Thus far we have two dwarves in restraints and about 6 in the hospital, some of which may be from beatings, but are mostly from tantrum victims getting their toes stomped on or something.

Right now I just have a few ropes tied next to my food stores to make sure the prisoners don't die (and a hospital on the next floor to help the injured). What's the best way to make a jail? Maybe dropping dog corpses on them to desensitize them since they can't run, or putting wooden spear spike traps to make them train dodging while they wait for their sentence to end?

Keep in mind, this isn't dwarven daycare, these are citizens who will resume work once they are released. As a result, if it makes them go insane or die, it's a bad plan.

Sylterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Dwarven Jail
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:55:14 pm »

Make sure the prisoners have access to a well so they don't get thirsty. Otherwise masterwork chains and some food should keep them content til they get released. You could also engrave the walls/floor to make them happy.Cage traps to stop them from escaping maybe.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »

The spike based training system only works well with properly armoured dwarves. I doubt it would be practical in most circumstances. An exercise pump might be a good pick to train dwarves but you might need to be making effective use of the borrow system to prevent non-prisoners from visiting to occupy the pump.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:39:03 pm »

I like to jail people in the dining/meeting hall so they can hang out with their friends and stuff :) putting one chain in each corner is nice for asthetics.

Also good to put a bed within the range of the restraint (1tile) so they can take naps as needed.

Its also fun to blame children for all crimes as they seem to be immune to sentencing.

That and a *gold chain* never hurts bonus points if its got lots of decorations :).

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:30:53 pm »

Your chain (don't use non-metal, it's a bad idea) is surrounded by 8 squares:

1-2) Food stockpile, 1x2.
3-4) Booze stockpile, 1x2.
5) Bed, set as bedroom owned by prisoner, covering the whole room.
6) Table.
7) Chair (next to table).
8) Well (backup in case of mess up with booze).

Put it in a room that's fully engraved by your best engraver.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:39:20 am by blue sam3 »

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:18:31 pm »

I think the saying, "The beatings will continue until morale improves" should be implemented in a fort.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »

I think the saying, "The beatings will continue until morale improves" should be implemented in a fort.

The great part is that in Dwarf Fortress, that's a valid plan of action that might work.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:27:11 pm »

That can actually work if you have a good enough healthcare system and/or flimsy enough guards, since dwarves get a happy thought from having justice dispensed now

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:36:50 pm »

That can actually work if you have a good enough healthcare system and/or flimsy enough guards

Noted! I'll implement this should my dwarfs become pissy dissidents.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 05:49:48 pm »

Alternatively, you can give them the treatment I gave my annoying vampire mayor with his annoying mandates: Designate a chain in the centre of your Colosseum of Armok for (j)ustice. Unleash the shaft-enlightened gobbos FBs bronze colossi training partners. 

Your chain (don't use non-metal, it's a bad idea) is surrounded by 8 squares:

1-2) Food stockpile, 1x2.
3-4) Booze stockpile, 1x2.
5) Bed, set as bedroom owned by prisoner, covering the whole room.
6) Table.
7) Chair (next to table).
8) Well (backup in case of mess up with booze).

Put it in a room that's fully engraved by your best engraver.

But really this +1
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:59:31 pm by Skullsploder »
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 02:35:51 am »

From one of my old fortresses, Banefrightened, in 34.11.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jail at bottom center. Everybody gets food, beer, table, chair, bed, and a well. And a pretty green glass door.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 08:19:09 am »

Set the bed as a barracks and draft your prisoners into a penal legion.
That way they can train in their free time and get hardened by their time in prison.

Also, I seem to recall chains not restricting movement along z-levels. Giving prisoners access to a staircase could expand their options.