Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Quinnspiracy Scandal  (Read 17030 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Quinnspiracy Scandal
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2014, 05:33:52 am »

Anyway, can someone fill me in on what the scandal actually is? Because at the moment all I'm seeing is a a game developer using "copyright infringement" as a reason to have criticism about her game silenced, and everyone's complaining about it because she slept with someone?
She has (allegedly) slept with 5 people in her industry capable of advancing her interests (possibly to do so) while also using (alleged) morale high road to garner SocialJusticeWarrior support to suppress bad media because 'Am Feminist/Female in Game Industry". Then using connections to shut down discussion of all topics pertaining to this that could be reached. Possibly tried to destroy charity game development (so says the organizer, who is still going strong with 4Chan /v/ assistance), it then was hacked (likely SJW's as they hate 4Chan and are rallying against Quin's perceived enemies). There is also murmurings that her own Game Jam is a scam (for further infos check my recent post history [I'm sorry for lazyness but this takes a while to type and there are definitely already many replies]).
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2014, 05:34:32 am »

Go ahead and report what I've said- if I deserve a mute, I should get one. I'm ducking out anyway. Getting too angry at people like OP is not healthy for me.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2014, 05:39:00 am »

Go ahead and report what I've said- if I deserve a mute, I should get one. I'm ducking out anyway. Getting too angry at people like OP is not healthy for me.

I appreciate it. :)
I Love Bacon

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2014, 05:39:39 am »

I desire this thread update with info when available! Even if Magic's motives and info is suspect it is corroborated elsewhere in the internets. If this is a conspiracy to keep Zoe down I wish to know! If she's running a conspiracy I wish to know! If any of this info has effected more than 1000 people before I read it and has consequences in the future I WISH TO KNOW!

I ask you to cease all hostilities.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2014, 05:43:22 am »

Anyway, can someone fill me in on what the scandal actually is? Because at the moment all I'm seeing is a a game developer using "copyright infringement" as a reason to have criticism about her game silenced, and everyone's complaining about it because she slept with someone?
She has (allegedly) slept with 5 people in her industry capable of advancing her interests (possibly to do so) while also using (alleged) morale high road to garner SocialJusticeWarrior support to suppress bad media because 'Am Feminist/Female in Game Industry". Then using connections to shut down discussion of all topics pertaining to this that could be reached. Possibly tried to destroy charity game development (so says the organizer, who is still going strong with 4Chan /v/ assistance), it then was hacked (likely SJW's as they hate 4Chan and are rallying against Quin's perceived enemies). There is also murmurings that her own Game Jam is a scam (for further infos check my recent post history [I'm sorry for lazyness but this takes a while to type and there are definitely already many replies]).

Oooh. Also, her social media accounts were supposedly hacked by 4chan (tho they didn't turn into shock sites nor filled visitors' machines with malware), as were those of Phil Fish's company (Why go after the company of all things?! It's Fish being the idiot; this makes no sense), and had personal data leaked. Again the website wasn't turned into a monument to Khorne and Slaanesh nor gave people computer-herpes.
There's discussion whether the company website was actually hacked as well, since it's supposedly hosted (Phil Fish said it's just doing caching, not hosting) by CloudFlare, which requires two step identification with a separate device.

Edit: hilariously, 4chan of all things is supposedly bringing the matter to the FBI, which lends credence to the site's userbase not being the perpetrators of the hack.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:01:31 am by Something Evil »
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2014, 06:25:57 am »

I can only assume the FBI hates the hacker, too. The enemy of my enemy?

Imagine a movie involving an anthromorphic 4chan in a cat and mouse game with an anthromorphised Tumblr whilst they're both chased by the FBI.
I Love Bacon

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2014, 06:47:05 am »

So, 4chan is chasing tumblr which is being chased by 4chan AND the FBI, whilst 4chan is, itself, being chased by the FBI too?

Or the FBI is after Tumblr and 4chan, 4chan is after tumble, and tumblr is running around trying to avoid everything?

Well I was thinking something like 4chan is chasing Tumblr, whilst Tumblr is chasing 4chan and the FBI is trying to catch both out.
I Love Bacon

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2014, 06:58:43 am »

And then they have to band together to defeat the evils of the Youtube Comments Section.

Anyway, see you guys, have fun. This whole topic is a poisonous pile of conjecture, half-truths, and guesswork. I will have no part in it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2014, 06:59:20 am »

>4chan
>a singular entity

lol

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2014, 07:13:24 am »

You can talk about 4chan as a singular entity. It's just that the singular entity has every mental disease out there, and severely suffers from each and every one of them.

I imagine it as having a combination of tourettes and severe, crippling autism, with the brief sudden shining moment of genius, brilliance and compassion.

Like your average idiot savant, really.
I Love Bacon

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2014, 07:19:49 am »

This thread actually seemed to be going pretty well before, well... you know. But hopefully it can get back on track now. I'd like to hear more solid reports from the 'Zoe camp'. I've read a lot of compelling stuff against, but the 'for' seems to be lacking? I haven't been following this too closely, but 'for' seems to be mostly focused on questioning the motives and/or character of the people who are 'against', rather than disproving the reports/evidence against her.

I'm particularly interested in the disparity between how sites handled the Max Temkin story, and how they are now handling Zoe Quinn's story. If the answer is simply "they're just giant hypocrites", I'd certainly buy that more readily than I'd believe there is some massive conspiracy. Else, what is the reason?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2014, 08:06:37 am »

You can talk about 4chan as a singular entity. It's just that the singular entity has every mental disease out there, and severely suffers from each and every one of them.
You really can't.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2014, 08:13:11 am »

(epithet removed)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:15:59 am by Toady One »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2014, 09:58:42 am »

Been following 4chan for the past few days, and this is just the best scandal I've ever seen on the net.  It just keeps getting more interesting, so far at least.

My take: There is a culture of nepotism in the games press that is pretty well balanced/managed by old school types (like Gerstmann who I love, not in any man-love kinda way though).  The young generation comes along with zero restraint and fucks everything up and puts the whole gravy train on the line.  Nobody can say anything without risking being outed as a huge hypocrite...

Yet, I do not understand why the sites in question haven't just cut the reporters and been done with it.  There is a MASSIVE silent majority (evidence by the views and upvotes on the Internet Aristocrat videos) in support of some kind of journalism-purge, god knows why the journalists don't take control of the situation and actually make one happen.  If they don't dictate the events, their hand will be force, I believe.  But hey, most of them clearly aren't that smart anyway.

In part, I feel bad for Zoe because she is just behaving, generally, as most young people do and it looks like she's been caught up in situation where her actions could have some nasty repercussions, which is a place nobody wants to be in.  There is ample evidence she has some psychological problems/scars and part of me just wants someone to sit her down and help/give her a grounding in reality.  On the other hand, she needs to take responsibility.

The more I hear about this, the more it sounds like petty attempts at 'slut shaming' with an undercurrent of 'women aren't allowed to want sex.' What? She cheated on her boyfriend? She had sex with several people? The nerve of her! Whatever is she doing outside of her man's kitchen! It all very much smacks of a lowest common denominator smear campaign.

Not the fact that the people she had sex with did not delineate between a personal and professional life, and that those people did not give any sort of disclosure on this fact?

I'm angrier at the journalists and their sites, more than anything else. I can't be angry at a person for using whatever they can in life to claw their way to the top, but a breach of what little journalistic ethical integrity they had on this level is disgraceful.
As someone in the game industry: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
but no seriously "journalistic integrity" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHAHAH
dude, that shit doesn't exist in games journalism; never has, never will.

Pretty much the attitude people have come to expect from games journalists and devs in the past week.  Stupid consumers for not realizing that before and for wanting to have journalistic integrity!  Let's laugh at them all some more.

You can vote for alway's comment by buying or not buying Star Citizen, as you see fit.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2014, 10:47:21 am »

Pretty much the attitude people have come to expect from games journalists and devs in the past week.  Stupid consumers for not realizing that before and for wanting to have journalistic integrity!  Let's laugh at them all some more.
Well... yes. Or, more accurately, "Why now?" Why this particular shitting upon journalistic integrity? Games journalism has had functionally zero integrity since... ever, to be honest, and in far more far reaching and pervasive ways than this little one. You get this weird uproar over a niche game, with frankly minor -- possibly even non-existent -- corruption* when every week for years we've been having systematic and practically standard shilling out of reviews for cash, early access, etc., so forth, so on. But this one, somehow, is special? Every response I've seen thus far trying to answer that involves ridiculous tinfoil-hat conspiracy nonsense and a great deal of attempts to redirect the conversation back to being somehow incensed.

This is why people are laughing when others are waving the "journalistic integrity" flag around -- it sounds like a bullshit excuse for other action when the state of integrity in gaming media has been in a sump far deeper than a bit of possibly a little sleeping around and maybe some PR spinning for a long, long time.

Don't get me wrong, folks're welcome to want more integrity in gaming journalism, it's just that jumping on this particular bandwagon is an incredibly odd way of going about it. The issues involved in it, to the extent there are any, aren't really the notable issues that gaming journalism is dealing with re: integrity.

*If there's anything of genuine note in this whole kerfluffle it's been one of potential mod overreach, but even that is mitigated a lot by the fact that a great deal of the people they're squishing are being utter jackholes, often to the point of outright breaking laws. Just as boss toad, quite rightfully, kills entire threads and bans discussions on certain topics when they're noted to draw particular forms of behavior, so can other moderators, yeah?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9