Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Personalities and Dreams  (Read 961 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Personalities and Dreams
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:48:33 pm »

Since we've seen the dwarves having lifelong dreams show up in their bios now, has anyone else come across a particularly interesting set?

One I just came across was "Urist McStonecrafter believes the idea of war is utterly repellent and dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world".

I'm going to put him in my first military squad to serve in the frontlines against the goblins that have been conquering my civilization. He who wants peace must prepare for war.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Personalities and Dreams
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:07:36 am »

I've had a dwarf who enjoyed the natural beauty of things, which bothered him since he dislikes nature... Something to that effect anyway
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Wacksonoff

• Bay Watcher
  • I just work here, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:26:11 am »

I've had a dwarf who enjoyed the natural beauty of things, which bothered him since he dislikes nature... Something to that effect anyway

Maybe he likes math. That's the language of nature.
This is an exceptional golden figurine of a Peregrine Falcon. All Maltese craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is studded with Baguette-cut diamonds. It is covered in black lacquer. The item is a masterfully designed image of a pointed cross. The pointed cross is the symbol of the Knights Hospitaller.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:01:40 am »

My civ "holds craftsdwarfship of highest ideals and celebrates talented artisans and their masterworks, greatly respects artists and their works, blah blah blah". Of course I have a lots of dwarves who disrespect art and crafters, so they are sometimes disturbed and conflicted by that. Similarly my culture values partying and merrymaking, but many dwarves don't like these activities (and of course I disallow parties anyway). So some conflicts are to be expected. But who cares, when they are happy or ecstatic?

Oh, and most of these dwarves dream about one of four things: creating a masterwork, or a great work of art, or raising a family, or failing in love - which is in line with the cultural preferences of the civilization.

What I find interesting is that only one of my 200 dwarves dreams about ruling the word, it's one of the initial seven. For comparison, the queen wants to create a masterwork and to gain immortality. I haven't checked that, but maybe such dreams are hard coded? (immortality for rulers, ruling the world for one of the starting ones?)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:51:00 am »

I love the new Dreams and Personalities!

What I find annoying though, is with dwarves with same sex attraction that have dreams of raising a family.

Only annoying, since there is no current way to accomplish this. I guess you could go into the raws but I'm not tech savvy.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:18:02 pm »

Since we've seen the dwarves having lifelong dreams show up in their bios now, has anyone else come across a particularly interesting set?

One I just came across was "Urist McStonecrafter believes the idea of war is utterly repellent and dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world".

I'm going to put him in my first military squad to serve in the frontlines against the goblins that have been conquering my civilization. He who wants peace must prepare for war.

I had one where the dwarf in question wanted to crush any sense of independent spirit, and another (you'll all love this I'm sure) absolutely hated nature and wanted to see it all burned to ash, or something to that effect.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:43:59 pm »

I had one where the dwarf in question wanted to crush any sense of independent spirit, and another (you'll all love this I'm sure) absolutely hated nature and wanted to see it all burned to ash, or something to that effect.

That's where you make him your militia commander and do everything you can to piss off the elves.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:01:51 pm »

I had a dwarf with "he wishes to see nature and [something else related to nature] turn to ash and the surface become a large mining pit". It isn't exact but it is very close. I think it is related to him making charcoal for nearly 3 years straight.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:02:31 pm »

That's where you make him your militia commander and do everything you can to piss off the elves.

The fort is long gone, but i I get another one like that, you can be rest assured that I will.

ETA:

I just got someone in the Nchardahrk TES mod who finds people who engage in trade and commerce to be disgusting.  I just found my new broker! :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:36:02 pm by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.