Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Lances of Gorging: A Civilization built from Year 2  (Read 725 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lances of Gorging: A Civilization built from Year 2
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:25 pm »

So I'm going to take another shot at a DF story. I'm going to be building several different forts, though several of the forts are going to be on islands so my civ never fully dies out.

In a time before time, Elephants ravaged Boatmurder. In a time before time, trees only rose a single level. In a time before time, a Dwarven civilization was dying out, and one of the Seven of a new Fortress was made King--and promptly tantrummed and slaughtered the entire fort--most of the remaining dwarves--only 6 months later.

In a time before time, several Dwarves from a dying race founded Vault-Tec, and swore that they would never again let their way of life die. Obsidian 1st, Year 1--Vault-Tec joined The Lance of Gorging. By the end of the first year, Vault-Tec gained the favor of the Queen, and she approved three Vaults to preserve the Dwarven way of life--by pick, by crook, and by steel.

And so it was declared that the three vaults would be constructed in The Feral Sea--Vault 101--the cheese and cloth capital of The Lance of Gorging. Vault Kickass--an armory that would house weapons to strike down any invaders, a trap system second to none, and a hospital the likes of which the rest of the world could only dream. And Vault Dumbass--the home of livestock, ensuring our Dwarven way of life will never die out because of lack of lye, leather, or meat.

Spoiler: Personal Raw Mods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Civilizations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Year 2-10 Goals: (click to show/hide)

Fortress 1: Vault Kickass

Embarked in an area with salt water and also has an aquifer.

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Grante 15: The Arches of Calling of The Lances of Gorging set out for Fortressfates the Family of Beards (AKA Vault Kickass)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:21:56 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
Re: The Lances of Gorging: A Civilization built from Year 2
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:26:26 am »

PTW.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:20:20 am »

Lets see how well this will go. :D

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:03:53 am »

This looks interesting.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »

Hematite, Year 2, Vault Kickass:

There is much dirt in the top few layers of the fort, and we are beginning to move everything inside. We have decided to temporarily cover the Magma in wood, and pave over with Stone when A) we are sealed in, and B) when the Vault is fully up and running.

The reason for this report is that we have begun military training early. The manuals they sent with me suggested training at a Weapon or Armor rack. Those Ratweed-livered bureacrats know nothing. I'm sending the miners and our military man up against the Kangaroo men that have been hopping around.

On the 3rd we killed the first, and on the 6th we killed the second. Four fled, and the seventh stuck around. The Blockaded Contingencies, our three-man military squad, has been bashing its head in with their fists for the last four days. One of our Miners are up to Fighter 3.

Their on-the-job training proceeds well, even if we cannot butcher the Kangaroo men for some strange reason.

But no matter.

Blood for the Blood God.

All glory to Armok.

Update: after 5 days, my Wrestler (one of the Miners) passed out from exhaustion. He was just punching the Kangaroo Man so damn hard. On the plus side, he started with no martial skills, and is now close to Fighter 4, Wrestler 3. We're up to 68 pages of nothing but the Kangaroo Man being punched in the head, his eyes destroyed, unconscious.

.....Ironically, while the Kangaroo man is covered in vomit, blood, and Dwarf Sweat, the Dwarves only have their own sweat on them.

Beating began on Hematite 23, at time of writing it is Hematite 28, and counting.

Update 2: about a second after I unpaused, the day ticked over and migrants arrived. The first person to arrive? A Surgeon/Spinner. I now have a Diagnostician and a Surgeon. SCORE.

Wrestler 3, Fighter 4; another is Fighter 2. Litast is closing in on Discipline 5

Got 2 people from the migrant wave--a Trapper (who has wood skills at 2 across the board except for crafts, and will be replacing Mistem--the Carpenter of the Seven who will be joining the military full time), and the aforementioned surgeon. But first, they will join in the beating as a "welcome to the Fort" bonus.

Migrant Wave 1: Summer Year 2

Mistem Respectchanneled
    Spinner Level 13
    Surgeon Level 1

Solon Dashgold
     Trapper 4
     Carpenter 3
    Bowyer 2
     Wood Cutter 2
    Trifle Pewter Battle Axe

Update 3: Malachite 13, Year 2.

The damn Kangaroo Man is dead, thanks to the help of the other three Dwarves that had not yet been assigned to kill the Kangaroo Man. They were ordered to grab whatever weapon was nearby and kill the Kangaroo Man, who was becoming an extremely dangerous, unconscious threat. The fighters that were ordered to withdraw and rest refused to do so, and kept pounding away. I grew worried that they would literally kill themselves fighting, so I ordered in the reserves. A few hacks with some iron picks and the beast was dispatched.

The day (or fortnight) was a success. Athel Fordeath is up to Fighter 5, Wrestler 4, Observer 8. Onget Grouptool is up to Fighter 3, Wrestler 3, Observer 7.

Now it is time for them to get some much-deserved booze, food, and rest.

and be ready to muster out their bruised and battered fists the next time an animal comes to visit.

The first Kangaroo Man Skeleton is sitting by the staircase on the bedroom level. It will remain there to help fortify our Dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:24:49 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!