Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idea! Idea! Idea! Castes? Idea!  (Read 3121 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Idea! Idea! Idea! Castes? Idea!
« on: August 22, 2014, 03:39:50 pm »

I'm thinking of making a draconic race, playable and all. Four questions:
A) Can I give them different domestic races than dwarves? Like replace dogs with wolves, sheep with draltha, stuff like that?
B) Using castes, I could have, say, five different controllable draconic creatures all under one civilization? Like one who's bigger than the rest, still works, but is slower? A smaller one with wings? Stuff like that?
C) How les hell do I even set up a new civilization?
D) Can I make certain ones more rare? I'd like to make one type be very rare, with a pair of common ones, then some uncommon, then one rare. Can I set that up?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea! Idea! Idea! Castes? Idea!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:46 pm »

A) Limited a bit in the raws. There are tags that control what creatures are available to a civilization, but it is not precise enough to specify certain creatures.

I believe that these are most, if not all of the pet tags.
Code: [Select]
USE_ANY_PET_RACE
USE_CAVE_ANIMALS
USE_EVIL_ANIMALS
USE_GOOD_ANIMALS
COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT
COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK
COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET
COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL

B) Yes, castes can vary as wildly as you want them to, while still technically being the same creature.

C) Create an entity. Here's a list of entity tags. It may be easier to copy an already existing entity and just alter it to suit you.

D) Give all of the castes a [POP_RATIO] tag. For example, if one caste has [POP_RATIO:100] and another has [POP_RATIO:1], then there will be roughly one-hundred units of the first caste for every one unit of the second caste.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:58:07 pm »

Thanks! Fire breathers and quadrupeds will be rare. Thanks! 
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:59:36 pm »

Stone buildings are fire safe, right?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:04:11 pm »

Most stones are, yes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »

So basically don't make their buildings out of fuel. Can I make it so they can't build buildings out of wood? And how would I add stone beds to the mason? I'm considering getting rid of wood crafting for them.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 05:24:09 pm »

You cannot restrict materials or remove wood-crafting entirely, as those are hardcoded. Though you can remove the labours from their entity so that they cannot be assigned those labours.

You cannot add reactions to the mason's workshop, unfortunately. You will have to make a custom reaction for a different workshop.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:36:38 pm »

Damn... Ohwell. This'll take a lot longer than I thought, but it'll be worthit in the end. I'll release my dragons and draconic race in my mod "Draconic Soul Set", then the others in the "Stagnant Creatures Set". There's a lot of them. Can reactions make life? Like say I made a custom forge to pump out Bronze Colossi?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 05:41:31 pm »

Not in the present version until DFHack and the spawn script are updated. Or if you are willing to jump through a few hoops using interactions.

Though you could also use a reaction that produces a cloud that transforms nearby creatures into what you want.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 05:46:22 pm »

Hm... I like that idea. The worker "gives his life" to become the creature. Can you make a cloud really small and fast to disappear?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »

I don't think you can control cloud behaviour, but it doesn't expand too far from a workshop anyways, and it's normally gone pretty quickly.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 05:54:43 pm »

Okay. I'll look into it. Thanks for telling me. Some loops may be needed... I don't know. Loops make a more stable and working mod.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »

A) Can I give them different domestic races than dwarves? Like replace dogs with wolves, sheep with draltha, stuff like that?
Quote from: BlackFlyme
A) Limited a bit in the raws. There are tags that control what creatures are available to a civilization, but it is not precise enough to specify certain creatures.

You can specify what an entire world uses, though. If you just want to be able to play with wolves as dogs and don't care if the other entity civilizations use them as well, mod the wolf to be domestic or make a new type of domestic wolf in a new file and they'll be available to buy at embark and brought along in caravans. I added tortoises to my embark for consistent access to shells and cause tortoises roaming mossy pastures is just too cute! And if you only want wolves to be trainable, remove train tags from dogs. Or if you don't want both wolves and dogs in your world, remove dogs completely.

Quote from: Stagnant Soul
B) Using castes, I could have, say, five different controllable draconic creatures all under one civilization? Like one who's bigger than the rest, still works, but is slower? A smaller one with wings? Stuff like that?
Quote from: BlackFlyme
B) Yes, castes can vary as wildly as you want them to, while still technically being the same creature.

Yeah, they can practically be different species, but it might be better to consider them more as breeds/types as you have here, because they will still mate/breed. (Mates mate and breeds breed to breed breeds... >_>) The resulting child will be based on the pop ratio, not the parents. For instance, I had a centaur civilization at one time and it had Heavy, Medium, and Light stallion and mare castes. A Light and Medium married couple could bear a Heavy breed, so a little suspension of disbelief toward genetics is required if you're going to make different types.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:08:49 pm »

Oh yeah, I consider all the Draconians to be different breeds of one race. Just some get different abilities than others. One's average, barely bigger than a human. One's the same size, but has wings. One's bigger, stronger, and slower. Then, the two rare, super draconians: **** and ******! Secrets for now. All but the bigger one are 875 and a few zeroes, 25 percent bigger than a human. But all fireimmune, scales instead of skin, great smell, and claws and bite are main attacks.
Pages: [1] 2