Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Panic at the Depot  (Read 2525 times)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
Panic at the Depot
« on: August 22, 2014, 03:03:09 pm »

So the first thing bad that happened was that immigrants came with a baby whose mother refused to carry him. Second weird thing was that he was fully clothed.

Finally, said baby died from dehydration/starvation because mother wouldn't care for her one-year old. The baby died right in front of the Depot, and it scared the bejeezus out of the merchants and pretty much everyone else. At the least, the baby gave everyone novice discipline. Which I thank him for. But... now the merchants won't leave because their wagons are "missing."

I copied the save I had before that immigrant wave came, but I'm concerned it might not work. This fortress is too ideal for me right now... so much good stuff is was going on. Will they eventually leave when other merchants come?

Do y'all have any advice on what I should do?
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Panic at the Depot
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:07:10 pm »

Best thing to do would probably be wall the merchants in before they go berserk and let them starve once the madness sets in.

Not a perfect solution because their ghosts can still be an issue, but better than letting them rampage unchecked.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:08:05 pm »

Merchants can starve??! I had no earthly idea.

Oo... what if I deconstruct the depot? Would that have any effect?
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:09:30 pm »

Worked for me in one game where the merchants got stuck in the depot.  I'd give it a shot.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:10:31 pm »

Well technically they go berserk and kill each other.  But starvation sounds so much nicer than having a pit brawl to the death between madmen.

Less cool, though.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »

Worked for me in one game where the merchants got stuck in the depot.  I'd give it a shot.

Alrighty! I'll give it a go. Worst comes, I just abandon and reclaim it. It's not the dorfs I care about, it's the Fort!

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 03:13:35 pm »

Well technically they go berserk and kill each other.  But starvation sounds so much nicer than having a pit brawl to the death between madmen.

Less cool, though.

Aye, starvation is a hell of a way to go. But as you said, less cool. I'm going to save scum and try removing the depot. If that doesn't work, I'll wall the poor dorfs in, let them go mad, and... have at it. Then I'll pillage and plunder their corpses. :)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:27:37 pm »

Ok, so removing the Depot fixed things and I got all their stuff. They left in a hurry too.

The only bad thing was that while I was so concerned about getting those dang merchants out, my only military dwarf out patrolling the entrance got eviscerated by a polar bear.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »

Worst comes, I just abandon and reclaim it. It's not the dorfs I care about, it's the Fort!

Though I agree with your sentiment, I'm not sure if this will work in the new version.
If you leave them miserable, won't they just migrate back in as miserable and go berserk on the new occupants ?

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 03:44:26 pm »

Worst comes, I just abandon and reclaim it. It's not the dorfs I care about, it's the Fort!

Though I agree with your sentiment, I'm not sure if this will work in the new version.
If you leave them miserable, won't they just migrate back in as miserable and go berserk on the new occupants ?

I've never had that problem before. I'm wasn't retiring it, I was abandoning it. But now that everything is peachy, I'm okay :)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 05:13:21 am »

Not if you kill every last one of them
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 12:21:18 pm »

Not if you kill every last one of them

That's the spirit!