Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I give syndromes though claws and skin?  (Read 972 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Can I give syndromes though claws and skin?
« on: August 22, 2014, 03:14:15 am »

I'm doing a mod that adds in a lot of new creatures, changes some current once, and makes new weapon potentials, alloys, and maybe even a new civilization. I want to make a poison dragon. I can figure out syndromes through bites, fumes, and it's stinger tail, but can I have touching it with bare hands be dangerous, and if it's claws touch you too? I may take away the fumes. Can I give it poisonous spit though? I'd love to give it poisonous spit, just I don't quite understand the natural abilities like spits and syndromes all the way. Creature sizes, aging, bodies, all that? I've got it down.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Can I give syndromes though claws and skin?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:19:57 am »

Not sure. Would having the skin and claws carry a contact syndrome work? I.e., defining the syndrome within the tissue rather than throwing it into a venom of some variety.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:22:08 am »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. There will be two poison dragons, one that induces fevers and dizziness, and then the Giant Poison Dragon, which induces paralysis and nausea.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:43:45 am »

Can I give it poisonous spit though? I'd love to give it poisonous spit, just I don't quite understand the natural abilities like spits and syndromes all the way.

Sure you can. Basically, you'll need to define like... three things. Or two.

One: You'll need to make custom spit. Most creatures that spit just do
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SPIT:SPIT_TEMPLATE]
so just add various tags to that.
There are four tags that declare how a material can inflict a syndrome.
SYN_INJECTED, SYN_CONTACT, SYN_INHALED, SYN_INGESTED
These are respectively: Through an attack that injects (your stinger tail and possibly fangs already do this), contact with the material (I'll get back to that in a sec), breathing the material as a gas (for fumes) and for eating/drunking the material (this probably won't happen.)
So basically you want to give your modded spit, defined in the creature, some contact syndrome.

Two: You want to give it an interaction or something to make it spit the spit. Let's just look at the copied one from dwarves.

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [CDI:ADV_NAME:Spit]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:NEGATIVE_SOCIAL_RESPONSE]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:TORMENT]
      [CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
      [CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPIT:LIQUID_GLOB]
      [CDI:VERB:spit:spits:NA]
      [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
      [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
      [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
      [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]

See the bolded part? That's where the material that is spit is defined - LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPIT.
And then you'll probably also want to change the usage hint to ATTACK or something - I'm not sure on this point.

As for contact syndromes on skin and claws - eh, I'm not sure. Contact tends to require prolonged contact, like getting liquid spatters on enemies. Maybe. I bought my lab coat, you see.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:45:25 am »

I smell some !!science!!. Care to upload the critter so we can test it?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:46:49 am »

You can't make the skin itself be poisonous, but you can make it secrete a poison from its skin which will have the same effect.
Just copy the secretion tag for sweat and replace SWEAT with the poison material and EXERTION with CONTINUOUS.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:34 am »

Whoa, that's brilliant. Thanks!
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:04:47 am »

Just a note though - if you have a custom creature in fortress mode that continually secretes something (I once made playable bog trolls that exuded a gross slime from their skin), the AI will break like a kobold egg and they'll spend 99% of their time running to and from the river to wash off, then get re-slimed, then wash off again, etc.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »

Oh, so my dragon would be washing himself? That's kind of dumb. I'll put the raw here once I get back on my laptop. I could use the fire imp's fireball attack, and replace it with spit.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:01 pm »

Wouldn't it be considered exertion in combat though? I'll do some !!science!! using arena mode once I get the dragon done, then put the results here.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 02:53:27 pm »

Just a note though - if you have a custom creature in fortress mode that continually secretes something (I once made playable bog trolls that exuded a gross slime from their skin), the AI will break like a kobold egg and they'll spend 99% of their time running to and from the river to wash off, then get re-slimed, then wash off again, etc.

remove this:
Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:CLEANING]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Clean]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_SELF]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_FRIEND]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:TONGUE]
[CDI:VERB:lick:licks:lick each other]
[CDI:CAN_BE_MUTUAL]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ALLOWED:TOUCHABLE]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:1]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:10]

Of course they will stay dirty, but its probably ok for a monster to be dirty :), prolly make you feel better about killing them :)).

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 03:33:13 pm »

Thanks! I may make my dragonic race playable. I doubt they'd be poiso- IDEAAAAAAAA!!!!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 03:34:11 pm »

His creatures were controllable in Fort Mode, and the problem was that they would continually cancel what they were doing to go to the river to clean themselves. It had nothing to do with that interaction, as what they were doing was normal behaviour for creatures that can perform jobs. If you were to give dwarves a constant secretion, they would behave the same way.

Though an interaction like that may help with the spam, as they would be able to clean themselves without having to find a water source. Or maybe not, as they would still freak out over being covered in slime. Plus it would also have the creatures continuously clean themselves, as they would be constantly secreting their substance. This could slow them down, as that cleaning interaction is not a free action, and will take a little bit of time to perform.

A creature that cannot take jobs will probably not attempt to clean itself.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:35:59 pm by BlackFlyme »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:53 pm »

Oh, okay.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ahhh

Thank you for the clarification :), the better part of error is its realization.

edit: punctuation