Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fixing accented letters in names  (Read 5283 times)

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing accented letters in names
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:24:08 am »

Some accented letters (è is the most common one) lack upper-case versions and look odd if a name starts with them. I realise this is a very minor issue, but it still annoys me to no end. Is there anything I can do to the tilesets/raws/whatever else to correct this?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing accented letters in names
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:22:26 pm »

You could remove the use of accented letters completely by modifying the language files. Many graphics packs do this.

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:33:02 am »

So there's no way to make the letters display properly other than getting rid of them altogether?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 12:19:00 am »

"Text will be Text" plugin for DFHack by Mifki allows multiple tilesets to override font and objects that normally use the same tile, but I'm unsure if there is way to direct an override of capital letters. I would suggest asking Mifki. Perhaps he could do something about it?

Edit: Fixed link.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:33:19 am by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 01:02:16 am »

Do they capitalize correctly when Truetype font is used? (Toggled by F12)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:08:41 pm »

Do they capitalize correctly when Truetype font is used? (Toggled by F12)
Just checked. Nope.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 08:30:29 pm »

Then yeah, the only way to fix this is with memory hacking, which means tools like TwbT.

This could be considered a bug though. If you file a bug report, maybe Toady will change it so that accented characters uppercase to their non-accented counterparts.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:49:51 am »

Then yeah, the only way to fix this is with memory hacking, which means tools like TwbT.

Which I fixed the link to above. Forum code is not HTML.. lol
Mister Adams,

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 03:02:45 am »

This could be considered a bug though. If you file a bug report, maybe Toady will change it so that accented characters uppercase to their non-accented counterparts.

I thought the problem is that accented letters don't have capital versions defined. The better fix would be to actually capitalise accented letters when appropriate - an encoding that can do the lowercase should be able to produce the uppercase versions as well: á - Á, ö - Ö, û - Û etc.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:45:55 am »

Edit: Nevermind. I was looking at the wrong tileset.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:48:35 am by Spectre Incarnate »
Mister Adams,

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:48:44 am »

I thought the problem is that accented letters don't have capital versions defined. The better fix would be to actually capitalise accented letters when appropriate - an encoding that can do the lowercase should be able to produce the uppercase versions as well: á - Á, ö - Ö, û - Û etc.
The problem is that only Å, Æ, Ä, É, Ñ, Ö, and Ü are defined in CP437 and thus available to DF (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cp437#Internationalization). Adding uppercase versions of other letters would most likely require rewriting DF's tileset support to allow more than 256 characters, which would not be easy.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 05:41:37 pm »

The problem is that only Å, Æ, Ä, É, Ñ, Ö, and Ü are defined in CP437 and thus available to DF (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cp437#Internationalization). Adding uppercase versions of other letters would most likely require rewriting DF's tileset support to allow more than 256 characters, which would not be easy.

That's what I thought! Then I was looking at the tileset correctly! Haha..

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:55:44 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
Mister Adams,

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 05:43:09 pm »

"Text will be Text" plugin for DFHack by Mifki allows multiple tilesets to override font and objects that normally use the same tile, but I'm unsure if there is way to direct an override of capital letters. I would suggest asking Mifki. Perhaps he could do something about it?

Well, characters that are present in the encoding should be displayed correctly with TWBT and appropriate tileset. Characters that are not present, like È... wait, what's displayed instead of it?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:53:53 pm »

You get the lowercase letters instead.

Yeah, i didn't catch up to that weirdness in the code page; seems my computer's automatically using a slightly less brain-addled one. It didn't occur to me that a codepage could actually have the lowercase types only of several accented letters; goddamn nerds, how do they work?

I guess it'd make sense to just use the nearest non-accented capital letter.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 05:54:59 pm »

Well, characters that are present in the encoding should be displayed correctly with TWBT and appropriate tileset. Characters that are not present, like È... wait, what's displayed instead of it?

Hello, thanks for stopping by!
Lower case è is displayed in all instances of a name, even when used as a capital/uppercase letter. Even if there is a tile for È available on the tileset to be used... it's just not used. Plus there's letters that don't have equivalent uppercase versions in the main vanilla tileset, so we would need a second tileset to do this?  :)

Mister Adams,
Pages: [1] 2