Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I wanna play Dungeons & Dragons.  (Read 702 times)

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
I wanna play Dungeons & Dragons.
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:51:39 am »

But what I want to know is, how should I get started? I've already bookmarked a starter guide to buy when I've got spare cash but I don't really know anyone who plays D&D/has the means to do so, as I don't have many friends. Could anyone explain to me how this usually works?
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: I wanna play Dungeons & Dragons.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:52:54 am »

I second this notion; that I was never against learning but never had 'that group' of friends.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:50:44 pm »

Ptw, will explain how it goes after work if no one else beats me to it. See my sig for details.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »

First off, do you really want D&D specifically or just a tabletop game? There's plenty of other good systems as well - FATE (for roleplay), Unknown Armies (for horror so horrific the characters lose sanity), BESM or Legend (for exaggerated worlds and characters), Mutants & Masterminds (for superheroes), Monsterhearts (for high school monster romance), Apocalypse World and its variants (for gritty games that you play in dark rooms that smell like cigarettes and alcohol).

D&D is great if you want a combat-based, classic fantasy dungeon crawler. Not trying to start a systems war here, but systems are specific to the kind of themes and emergence they try to create. If your main focus isn't dungeon crawls, D&D might not be the best system for you.

To actually answer the question, roll20 is a good place to start :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:17:21 pm »

Firstly, and least helpfully, this might be the wrong board. Maybe. I'm not entirely sure myself :P

More relevantly, there are a few ways. If you can find 3 other people to play, one of whom wants to try DMing, then you're set. it's worth asking, cause the kinds of people who would like to play is surprisingly varied once you pass the 'for geeks' stereotype.
Failing that, you could ask at a local tabletop gaming store - many - mostly in america, as far as i can tell, living in uk - run campaigns every so often, or have a list of local groups. There are also online communities that arrange groups (prefer my anonymity too much for that, personally) or online tabletops such as roll20.
If all else goes wrong, there're always play by post games in various forums, ours included. IMO they're best for absolute beginners, because there's enough time to go away and check the rules if you're unsure, but they go very slowly, so it's a matter of preference.

As for ruleset, there are many out there. However, DnD is probably easiest to to find a group for. DnD 5e has just been released, and it looks brilliant as well as less hack and slash focused, but on the other hand, most of the 3.5e material is available for free, which is a huge help (the 5e basic rules are free, and worth looking over, but perhaps not ideal if you have a newbie DM). It's more clearly set out in the PHB and DM's guide, but you can muddle thru without - depends on your spending power.
Starter set wise..... IMO, they aren't worth getting, with limited rulesets and a single adventure. On the other hand, I'm the kind of DM who prefers to make my own adventures, so it all depends. If you want a quick taste of DnD, and aren't prepared to acquire the necessary materials for a full game without prior knowledge, then the starter sets will give you that.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext