Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adding limbs, and weapon sizes?  (Read 1807 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Adding limbs, and weapon sizes?
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:45:42 pm »

I've been thinking of making a bronze colossus-esque creature, but bigger, with more limbs. If I started adding more arms and hands, could I use more weapons? Do weapons ever get too small to wield? Also, what tag in the hydra lets it his multiple times per turn?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Adding limbs, and weapon sizes?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:50:14 pm »

More grasping parts would allow you to hold more items, yes. It's specifically body parts with the tag [GRASP]

Weapons do not get too small to wield, but there may come a point where the wielder is so large that they would do more damage by using their natural attacks instead of the weapon. Not quite sure what that point is, but I'm sure that a colossus-sized creature would be past it. At least for vanilla weapons, anyways.

The tag that makes hydra bites more effective when used to multi-attack is [ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK]

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:52:46 pm »

Okay. Thanks. So a bronze colossus would better serve punching something than picking up a two-hand sword? Even if it was master-legendary skill area? And what if it was punching something bigger?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:55:25 pm »

I may make it it's own weapons then... I'm planning on making a few variations of them, not sure how many extra limbs yet, but I know they'll be called "[insert metal] Deity". Like Iron Deity, Bronze Deity, Golden Deity, Silver Deity.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »

You can probably make bigger weapons, scale em with the creatures. If you use them in the entity files you could probably get them as an adventurer for your starting gear (towns seem to be all human size items last time I was adventuring :) )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:51:03 pm by YAHG »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:14:02 pm »

I very much doubt a sword meant to be two-handed by a bronze colossus could be carried by fifty humans.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:16:42 pm »

If it could though, imagine fifty guys charging down at a gate, with their giant "stabbering ram"! Goodbye dragon.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:30:02 pm »

You need to name the colossus swords "Stabbering Rams" now. There's no going back.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:46:15 pm »

If the colossus raw says humanoid, can I just put in :6ARMS: somewhere in there?

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 09:56:04 pm »

Take a look in the body_default file, you should be able to do a search for 6ARMS, and, if it's not there, it wouldn't be too hard to mod it in
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:57:19 pm »

Okay, I'll look for that.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 12:24:24 am »

Making weapons bigger for bigger creatures doesn't really work, because while size increases strength, it only increases strength in combat. Meaning that colossus will have the same carrying ability as a human unless you increase their base strength stat, and even then scaling a weapon directly from human to colossus size will probably have that colossus' speed as an adventurer register as 0.000000001.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:43 am »

Making weapons bigger for bigger creatures doesn't really work, because while size increases strength, it only increases strength in combat. Meaning that colossus will have the same carrying ability as a human unless you increase their base strength stat, and even then scaling a weapon directly from human to colossus size will probably have that colossus' speed as an adventurer register as 0.000000001.

Uh.. Nope.

Equation from 0.34.11 (not yet verified in 0.40.xx)
Carry capacity = size/10000 + strength*3/100
i.e. average human 70000/10000 + 1000*3/100 = 7 + 30 = 37
average dwarf (60000, 1250) = 36
colossus (20000000, 1000) = 2030

Weapons do not get too small to wield, but there may come a point where the wielder is so large that they would do more damage by using their natural attacks instead of the weapon. Not quite sure what that point is, but I'm sure that a colossus-sized creature would be past it. At least for vanilla weapons, anyways.

For vanilla weapons, anything larger than a minotaur (i.e. over body size 250000) does more damage with its body parts than with the weapon.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 03:14:09 am »

So I could make a giant sword for a colossus sized creature? Or something twice as big?

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 02:03:25 pm »

So I could make a giant sword for a colossus sized creature? Or something twice as big?

I think you want to change the SIZE, if your going for reasonable, you might want to up the contact areas.

If we assume the larger weapons have the same relative dimensions, the contact area will increase with the [length(not a tag but something to remember)]^2 and the volume(SIZE) by length^3  8)

(NewSIZE/OldSIZE)^(2/3)=(NewContactArea/OldContactArea)

But then again with a creature designed to be easier to win with this might not be as important to you :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:07:00 pm by YAHG »
Pages: [1] 2