Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799618 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #4005 on: March 06, 2021, 03:39:05 pm »

Failure to save previously:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
  • 91st Special Action Regiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: March 06, 2021, 04:02:31 pm »

Game feedback and bug reports preferably on the discord, as that is it's primary purpose and I can use it easier on the go.

Any other discussion about it or sharing screenshots and stuff can be wherever, I don't mind it being openly discussed, or sharing customised gear and things for people to try out (though putting those on the discord is also great!).
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: March 06, 2021, 10:56:00 pm »

Failure to load:

Just checking, was the save from the newest version? I definitely broke save compatibility in this update.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 06, 2021, 11:17:41 pm »

Guardsman111:
I've submitted my application and email address, good luck with the dissertation.  I guess you need discussion mostly on the discord, or can you take comments from here as well?

ndkid: Looking forward to trying out the new build.

Don't suppose you two can collaborate in any way?

Part of the reason I made the project open source was so that people could chip in and/or steal as much of it as they wanted to go make their own thing. Given that guardsman is both trying to graduate university with his project and make money off of it, I imagine he's much more limited in how he could practically collaborate, and is in a position to devote far more time to his project than I am to mine.

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 07, 2021, 08:22:44 am »

Part of the reason I made the project open source was so that people could chip in and/or steal as much of it as they wanted to go make their own thing. Given that guardsman is both trying to graduate university with his project and make money off of it, I imagine he's much more limited in how he could practically collaborate, and is in a position to devote far more time to his project than I am to mine.

This is pretty true, however, I am only aiming to create a framework that other people can use to mod the game as they see fit. I want users to be able to create anything they want! At the moment, however, I am limited in what I can accept from other people, and who I can offer the game too. This is because I have to follow guidelines set by the university (to do with ethics and stuff); the people I send it out too have to be at least somewhat vetted and they are expected to test the game and provide feedback - pretty scary if you just wanna try it out to see if it's any good.

Once I have finished university, I will be continuing development until around September time, while creating a Kickstarter or another crowd funding solution, as I have 0 money and 0 financial opportunities (who wants to put money into a game like this except the players?). I find it incredibly hard to see any investors interested in this, but maybe that just my brain not allowing me to be hopeful.

Depending on how crowdfunding goes, I will either be clear to continue working until an early access steam release in 2022, or I will have to work part time on this and it becomes a project much like ndkid's.

What I do know is that once we get to July and I no longer have ethics requirements for my testers, this will be going up all over the place so people won't have to go to the discord or sign up for anything to check it out.

It's a scary time for me rn xD
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 07, 2021, 01:28:02 pm »

Failure to load:

Just checking, was the save from the newest version? I definitely broke save compatibility in this update.

Attempt to save was from the newest version, see the following post for the failure to save.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 07, 2021, 02:18:02 pm »

Failure to load:

Attempt to save was from the newest version, see the following post for the failure to save.

Yep, I looked at them both; unfortunately, neither gave a lot to go on. My guess, based on how you've described interacting with the program previously combined with the exceptions preceeding your attention to save, was that you hit a bug in the process of re-organizing your chapter that left the data in a bad state when it went to save. I'm a little surprised that the exception when trying to save left you with an unloadable save file. I think I'll make sure line numbers are turned on for exception logging in the next build so that I can get more useful diagnostic data from exceptions in future releases.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 07, 2021, 08:42:41 pm »

That was exactly what I was doing.  Of note, I also went to the planet screen and viewed the Chapter, clicking on various squads, some incomplete.

Also, when are we going to be able to get to promote a Master of the Apothecary, Librarian classes beyond Lexicon, and Forge Master?  I understand those components aren't fully implemented yet, but I'd like to at least get their command staff online.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 08, 2021, 10:29:52 pm »

Dunno if this helps, but bug report on failure to save:

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 08, 2021, 10:58:31 pm »

Finally got to do some chapter alterations that successfully saved!

EDIT: Safer photo.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 12, 2021, 04:18:16 pm »

If anyone is interested I've done a full Dev-log/play through of the current version of Special Space Force!

Check it out over here - https://youtu.be/es5HD9XRrlA

Have a nice day :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 14, 2021, 11:21:31 am »

Photo op with this month's Special Space Force Commander!

Guess who the commander is!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 20, 2021, 08:33:24 pm »

Quick note that Only War v0.5.4 is up at https://github.com/ndilday/OnlyWar/releases/tag/v0.5.4
Just a couple of adds this time around, really: the ability for the cults to ambush your Space Marines if they go nosing around a planet they're hidden on. Also, grenade launchers for them, since lasguns aren't known for their ability to break through Marine armor.
I also theoretically added slightly better debug data in the Windows version.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 23, 2021, 05:48:43 am »

For the Emperor!
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 288