Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799591 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3975 on: February 13, 2021, 06:01:28 pm »

Yay!

EDIT:I'm not sure what is supposed to happen during a battle.  My viewing area had a scroll bar and nothing displayed.  Kept hitting continue, nothing happened.
Since the game currently is an army organizer, some quality of life things that would help is if the squad that I am moving a soldier from remained open instead of switching to the squad that the solder is moving to, and if it were possible to move multiple troops at the same time.  In an advance campaign, I'm sure that I'd be more likely to move troops individually, but for the starting chapter I pretty much need to move everyone from the 9th Company into the 8th Company so that I have free squads to promote qualified Scouts into Devastators.  A "Promote Squad" feature could also be useful.

EDIT2: I'm wondering if large numbers of transfers might be bugging out the system, since I seem to see the buttons disappear ending turn after doing large numbers of transfers, yet they do not disappear if I do no transfers.  Or maybe it has nothing to do with large numbers of transfers but instead is related to the save system, since I usually save after such.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: February 14, 2021, 04:32:44 pm »

Yay!

EDIT2: I'm wondering if large numbers of transfers might be bugging out the system, since I seem to see the buttons disappear ending turn after doing large numbers of transfers, yet they do not disappear if I do no transfers.  Or maybe it has nothing to do with large numbers of transfers but instead is related to the save system, since I usually save after such.

And still nothing in any of the player logs afterward?

DeepWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: February 14, 2021, 10:35:29 pm »

How customizable will chapter creation be? Appearance wise, I suppose.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: February 14, 2021, 11:08:51 pm »

How customizable will chapter creation be? Appearance wise, I suppose.

Any sort of visual build-a-marine a la http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smp.php is so far down the to-do list to not even make it on. Graphics are not my forte, and I am unlikely to take the project in a direction where I would be showing high fidelity soldier images.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: February 15, 2021, 08:40:27 am »

Eh, graphics just get you in trouble anyways.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: February 15, 2021, 01:00:11 pm »

You want a dwarfSpace Marine? There's your fucking dwarfMarine. You want some better graphics? Fuck you. DwarvesSpace Marines can do lots of stuff. Like firing bolters one handed. Can you do that? Hell no. Play Dwarf FortressChapter Master.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: February 15, 2021, 06:39:40 pm »

You want a dwarfSpace Marine? There's your fucking dwarfMarine. You want some better graphics? Fuck you. DwarvesSpace Marines can do lots of stuff. Like firing bolters one handed. Can you do that? Hell no. Play Dwarf FortressChapter Master.

Heh. I'm hoping to not go quite the ASCII route, either. Maybe something a little more Atari 2600... "wow, my red square totally obliterated that green circle!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:56 pm »

That, but render out just chainswords.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: February 15, 2021, 07:03:28 pm »

Maybe old NES graphics?  My Knight icon smashes the Bug icons.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: February 15, 2021, 11:37:32 pm »

You could go with small sprite graphics like Dominions does. When I was (okay and occasionally still am) thinking about doing something CM-esque, that was the zenith of my own graphical ambitions. Admittedly, as the person who sprited an awful lot of NationGen, even if there was a lot of derivative work there, I'm biased as to the ease and practicality of this course of action. But 64x64 or even 128x128 isn't pixel-level while still being somewhat accessible even if you're not a Real Artist...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: February 16, 2021, 11:00:48 pm »

Yay!

And still nothing in any of the player logs afterward?

I think I misunderstood what you were looking for.  I thought there would be a log titled ERROR.  I do have player logs.  I'll boot it up, fiddle till I get a crash, and paste the log.

EDIT: The log exceeds the character count.  I'll paste part of it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That last paragraph part seems to repeat several times, maybe each time I hit continue?

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:15 am »

That last paragraph part seems to repeat several times, maybe each time I hit continue?

Ah-ha! That took me a minute, but I found the bug. I'll upload the code fix now, but probably won't get a new release out until later today, so if you can replicate the problems you've seen with save button or reorganizing your men before then, I can probably wrap other fixes in, as well.

EDIT: Bugfix version v0.5.2.1 is now up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:24:10 pm by ndkid »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: February 18, 2021, 11:43:02 pm »

When I clicked on the Archive, the screen loaded but I wasn't able to return to the other tabs. I had to end turn. Then it kicked me back to the Chapter tab.

I saw a planet to the side of the Chapter tab, so I clicked it and it took me to the planet details. I couldn't click back to any other tabs. Then I noticed two x's in the upper right that said sector data. I clicked the top X, and the game crashed.

There a crash dump I can give you or log I can give you?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: February 19, 2021, 07:20:53 am »

When I clicked on the Archive, the screen loaded but I wasn't able to return to the other tabs. I had to end turn. Then it kicked me back to the Chapter tab.

I saw a planet to the side of the Chapter tab, so I clicked it and it took me to the planet details. I couldn't click back to any other tabs. Then I noticed two x's in the upper right that said sector data. I clicked the top X, and the game crashed.

There a crash dump I can give you or log I can give you?
Yep, should hopefully be something in the player logs.
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/ObstiNate Games/Only War The Next Chapter/Player.log
macOS: ~/Library/Logs/ObstiNate Games/Only War The Next Chapter/Player.log
Windows: C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\ObstiNate Games/Only War The Next Chapter\Player.log

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: February 20, 2021, 08:41:04 pm »

My attempt to load a saved game failed, partial log in spoiler, hope it helps:
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 288