Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799500 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3900 on: November 23, 2020, 11:21:24 am »

... out of morbid curiosity, how is your little stint with the prediction market going, if I may ask?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: November 23, 2020, 03:09:42 pm »

... out of morbid curiosity, how is your little stint with the prediction market going, if I may ask?
Up about 25%, which is a reasonable ROI for what will likely be a 2-month investment period. Not as good as my 2012 returns, way better than the 2016 shitshow. This year, there are a lot of folks continuing to inflate the prices of low-odds results based on their ideology, so it makes more sense for me to stay in and do pseudo-arbitrage with basically no risk. I'd like to get a high enough ROI that it'll still be 25% after PredictIt takes their cut.

EDIT: With Michigan done, some of the ideologues are losing hope, so there's less volitility, but I'm up to about 36% ROI, so it'll clear my 25% after PI cut, and may bring 33% after PI cut within reach.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:18:52 pm by ndkid »

ej800

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: December 17, 2020, 11:11:51 pm »

Any news on the OnlyWar project?

DeepWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: January 07, 2021, 09:56:43 pm »

I too am looking forward to next update!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: January 07, 2021, 10:41:53 pm »

Huh, weird, I didn't see the request for update back in December. Apologies!
I've been letting it lie fallow for a bit; the prediction markets kept being crazy (I've moved from 25% up shortly after the presidentals to about 67% up now that the GA senate elections are done), and I've been playing a lot of Dead By Daylight. I didn't realize there were more than a couple of people keeping an eye on the project; now that I know that there are others interested in the progress, I'll dust things off and try to start putting time in again.

DeepWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: January 11, 2021, 12:06:51 am »

You're gaining attention in the community!

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: January 11, 2021, 08:00:09 am »

FWIW not only I'm interested in Only War, but the Linux builds are greatly appreciated as well. Not sure how much extra work is needed on your end to generate these.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: January 11, 2021, 09:48:10 am »

FWIW not only I'm interested in Only War, but the Linux builds are greatly appreciated as well. Not sure how much extra work is needed on your end to generate these.

Does that mean the Linux build worked! Unity makes that theoretically easy, but I don't have a *nix machine handy (or a Mac, for that matter), so I was hoping someone would report back that it actually worked! I take it it did?

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: January 12, 2021, 06:47:18 am »

Does that mean the Linux build worked! Unity makes that theoretically easy, but I don't have a *nix machine handy (or a Mac, for that matter), so I was hoping someone would report back that it actually worked! I take it it did?
I'm somewhat new to the game so I couldn't go very far on testing everything, but yes, it launched fine and all menus were in perfect order, I hadn't found any missing text or other bloops I used to find in Unity builds for other games.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: January 12, 2021, 11:28:45 am »

The Omnissiah was with you ndkid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: January 19, 2021, 08:35:16 pm »

Alright, quick update.
I'm slowly starting to rebuild some momentum, getting back into the habit of trying to write code every day after a few months off. I suspect I should really break up this single card "living universe Phase 1" ticket into multiple pieces, because it's getting pretty girthy. I should have the basic "hey, seed the sector with a couple of genestealer cults" this week, but then I'll need to figure out what a genestealer cult takeover looks like... it shouldn't be a bunch of Imperial citizens one week and a bunch of Hive Tyrants and 'gaunts the next. (And having a Hive Fleet invade the sector is tricky, since SM fleets aren't really meant for handling that, Imperial Navy is... well, insofar as anyone can handle a Hive Fleet.) So I'm thinking through those mechanics, and I'll need to build out the metadata for GC. I suspect as I dive deeper in, I'll figure out where to draw the .5.1 line.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: January 19, 2021, 08:44:29 pm »

By the time a Hive Fleet has been called in, you're looking at 4th - 7th generation hybrids in large numbers, lots of purestrain Genestealers, a Brood Lord and maybe a Magus actually on the ground making trouble. Genestealer Cults are playing the long game, and can be found at any stage of their development. But only established cults that have revealed themselves would really warrant the attention of Space Marines. Anything less than that tends to be the domain of the Inquisition or local Imperial authorities to figure out.

Typically when the Genestealer Cult is fully realized, it's already brought most wings of government under its sway, or they are the first to be taken out when the uprising happens. So you could also include lots of citizenry and Planetary Defense Forces using actual imperial weaponry. The Genestealer Cult itself is largely an insurgency force. But what it can eventually take control of is an entire planet worth of armies and weaponry. Really a question of how complete their takeover was, how much the resistance cost them and what remains after the dust settles and the Space Marines arrive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:51:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: January 19, 2021, 09:09:18 pm »

Oh boy seeing activity back on the Only War Trello, looking forward to seeing it in action again!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: January 19, 2021, 11:31:58 pm »

By the time a Hive Fleet has been called in, you're looking at 4th - 7th generation hybrids in large numbers, lots of purestrain Genestealers, a Brood Lord and maybe a Magus actually on the ground making trouble. Genestealer Cults are playing the long game, and can be found at any stage of their development. But only established cults that have revealed themselves would really warrant the attention of Space Marines. Anything less than that tends to be the domain of the Inquisition or local Imperial authorities to figure out.

Typically when the Genestealer Cult is fully realized, it's already brought most wings of government under its sway, or they are the first to be taken out when the uprising happens. So you could also include lots of citizenry and Planetary Defense Forces using actual imperial weaponry. The Genestealer Cult itself is largely an insurgency force. But what it can eventually take control of is an entire planet worth of armies and weaponry. Really a question of how complete their takeover was, how much the resistance cost them and what remains after the dust settles and the Space Marines arrive.

To be clear, I am planning for the long game, because Space Marine Chapters strike me as entities that should be very much about the long game. Before I'm done, I may switch to a pausable-tick system (a la Paradox titles), because I can imagine there being weeks that go by without anything interesting, and that could be a lot of button clicking. I don't want to hand-wave the training of entire new companies of space marines... I want the idea of sacrificing a squad to save a planet to be a painful acceptable loss. (Rather than either being so painful people savescrum around it or so trivial that people burn through space marines like they're IG.)

All of that to say: the idea that a GC uprising on a planet happening a 100 years after the start of the game, due to a single genestealer starting things off on turn 1... I totally want that to be a thing, and I want the 5,000-ish game turns required to get there to be something the game and player can both handle comfortably, while still allowing the time granularity to avoid the Civ-style "a battle takes a year" stuff.

From my recent (8th ed? 9th ed? I don't remember) research GC appear more often armed with mining equipment than anything else... probably at some point in the future, I'll care enough to try and tailor the armament of GC forces to the type of planet. For now, though, they'll all have the same types of squad loadouts.

When I get to requests in a release or so, my hope is to flesh out planetary and IG-Army leadership sufficiently that they occasionally send out general calls for assistance, or specific pleas to the player's chapter. That will sometimes include requests that seem more suited to an IG regiment or Inquisitor, because, hey, if Emperor's Children want to come solve the problem, instead, why not? And things I've seen in fluff, like the idea of a mining expedition at a planar pole accidentally deicing a carnifex that starts rampaging seems like a not unreasonable situation for calling in the Marines.

I also just like the narrative through line of something like "remember 50 years ago, when the governor of that planet sent out a request for investigation of several high-ranking generals disappearing, and we thought it beneath us to respond? Well, guess it must've been Lictors, because that planet is being overrun with Tyranid now, and the Guard forces on planet are being decimated... should we do something now?"

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:33:52 pm by ndkid »

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: January 20, 2021, 10:33:15 am »

ndkid, do you intend to add all the features Duke had implemented before stopping the development of Chapter Master? I always thought it was a shame CM died so early in it's development considering what we got was already a pretty alright game. A lot of things still needed to be fleshed out, like politics, ground and space combat, etc. but you could still spend hours just hopping around cleansing words of xenos and exploring ruins that would more often than not have 1000x CSM.

Thanks for your work.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 288