Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799155 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3735 on: January 30, 2019, 12:36:37 am »

Praise the Toad-Emperor.

Now let's let this thread quietly die until the next time someone comes along with Chapter Master news. And talk about girl-marines in the 40K thread.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: January 30, 2019, 03:19:34 am »

-snip-

I found your first paragraph of cases quite interesting - I had no idea the US has such strong inherent protection on copyright and I've definitely learnt something today. It seems odd that there is such a push to defend copyright whilst also having such strong written protection.

The rest, I'm not even going to dignify with an answer. Even if you are a lawyer, I don't think that making jabs at someone's country is the right thing to do, and neither is the way you go about presenting your argument.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: January 30, 2019, 03:22:47 am »

Chill. There was just a mod intervention
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: January 30, 2019, 09:11:59 am »

Let's just hope no dwarf ever makes a pair of pauldrons painted blue with an engraving of a white inverted statue on them.

funny story, there was a company called ChapterHouse Studios that made minis for use with tabletop WHF and WH40k. Which itself isn't illegal, and nobody can stop you - you can't copyright the rules of a game, and you can't stop someone from saying "this figurine is intended for use with Company X's game but not made by Company X". The problem arises when your minis are too similar to existing minis, or they create confusion about the source or endorsement of the product.

So in 2010, GW sued them over whether their minis and accessories were infringing - 116 copyright claims and 92 trademark claims. At the end of the day, ChapterHouse actually won on most of the claims - either their designs were actually independent creations, or whatever infringement there was fair use. Still, they had to pay $25,000 for the infringing products, stop making/selling them, plus whatever it cost them to defend themselves in the case. Company shuts down.

But among the claims ChapterHouse won on: 17 pauldron designs! Ha!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:27:37 am by ZeroGravitas »

rincewind

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Purge the heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:35 am »

Disclaimer haven't been able to check this thread for a while, and haven't made it through all the posts but had a question. Is the internet lawyer consensus that a chapter master can never happen? follow up, would there be a way to get around copyright laws if it was described as a parody? IE text to speech device, make it a fan made game, no monetization and just change the setting slightly to a what if scenario? FYI I only know a little on US business law/employment law nothing on the EU or their recent copyright rulings.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: January 31, 2019, 02:48:00 am »

Won't happen as a indie hobbyist work of love format. Best is generic space army simulator. A parody cannot be declared, whether something is parody and constitutes fair use is for a judge to decide so you'd still need deep pocket for that if gw wants to challenge it and past indication is that gw is willing to. And even a clear parody could risk getting litigated on trademarks.

Even games simply inspired to the setting could be litigated. Not that gw would necessarily win, but it'll run the hobbyist financially.

There are many cases at this point, but gw isn't totally unreasonable. If you change course after the first cease and desist they don't go full postal, see for example alien assault

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: January 31, 2019, 02:54:29 am »

Disclaimer haven't been able to check this thread for a while, and haven't made it through all the posts but had a question. Is the internet lawyer consensus that a chapter master can never happen? follow up, would there be a way to get around copyright laws if it was described as a parody? IE text to speech device, make it a fan made game, no monetization and just change the setting slightly to a what if scenario? FYI I only know a little on US business law/employment law nothing on the EU or their recent copyright rulings.
I don't think the internet lawyers reached a consensus, or it was nuked by the Toad.  But I'll throw in my understanding.  Chapter Master has no budget and no revenue, so.  I don't think anyone is lining up to meet GW in court over this.  Making games is already a lot of time and effort, add a court case on top and its even harder.

So the question isn't "would GW win?" but its "would GW sue?"  And judging by their past actions the answer is yes.  So unfortunately being a parody is not going to be a good defense here.

Now, if you stripped away all the 40k terms + names, and changed the outlines of all the graphics so that none of it resembled GW art assets, then yeah the code of Chapter Master could be used for something.  You'd have to ask the internet lawyers if that would be enough to get a lawsuit thrown out of court, but I'd damn well hope it is.  Unfortunately it couldn't be called Chapter Master and I'm not sure the appeal of the game would be that great without the 40k connection.  Also since CM has already been presented openly as a 40k fan work it would require a lot of modification to be "safe"; if the game had been presented from square one as an original IP I imagine it could cut very close to copying 40k and GW wouldn't care, lord knows plenty of other games are similar.

So basically: does anyone feel like putting a lot of work into a space game that's partly done but can't be set in the 40k universe?  That's the answer to your question.  (also not making money isn't a defense; most companies simply ignore fan works because it drives business their way.  GW is trying to maintain their monopoly on their own figures which is why they're assholes about this.  Parody is something else, you're allowed to make money off of a parody)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

rincewind

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Purge the heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: January 31, 2019, 05:11:08 am »

Damn, I was afraid that would be the answer. I had always wondered why GW seems to be so anti fan anything since it always seemed to be a plus to me, more traffic, more sales, more invested fans. But I can see the point with how hard they try to protect the figurine sales, even with the "Interstellar army simulator" split and it being all original code I can see the IP argument. That's really a shame because it's a better game than most of the licensed stuff GW has put out recently. Thanks for the answers

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: January 31, 2019, 10:48:31 am »

Without retreading everything again, it all comes down to if someone wants to make an interstellar army simulator game with mod support. That's absolutely fine - no one has really opposed that, although some of the previous False Emperors made the excuse that they were abandoning work due to it being too risky. There's no risk to creating a interstellar army simulator with nothing referencing GW, and I don't think any of the internet lawyers have disputed that.

If an interstellar army simulator was to be made, then Chapter Master 2 would would be a flavour mod away. The issue as stated is that it's hard work and there will be a distinct lack of interest until a Chapter Master mod becomes available which doesn't give people the attention that they need to keep on with such a project.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: January 31, 2019, 11:26:06 am »

It's not like you can't make an ad hoc analogue mythology that fits the bill... GW setting is hardly unique. Heck even in the field of role playing games there are many that follow similar templates (eg: Fading Suns, Renegade Legion, Battletech...). That's without going onto films, novels, or videogames (*atchoo*Blizzard*atchoo*)
- Insert a standard template galactic empire, feudal style.

Add
- generic hivemind aliens
- generic lovecraftian entities and cults (heck, you could use Lovecraft directly... he's public domain)
Etc...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: January 31, 2019, 11:40:04 am »

The Imperator
The Empire of Humankind
The Auric Chair
The Disorder Deities
Space Elfs
Space Black Elfs
The space locusts
Vacum Seamen
Empire Fleet
Space HugeGoblins / Sentient fungus symbiotes....

So many terms that could be used, and if the text can be taken from an indexed txt modding them would be really easy.

As for the looks, that's more tricky, but doable is you employ generic art and models and let them be replaced too. For easiness only make a single generic model/art of soldier, tank and ship, apply it for all factions. Then use the actual 40k art models you make for the game and release them as a mod, even if using a proxy to further avoid troubles.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:42:36 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: January 31, 2019, 12:01:02 pm »

Hah. We’re back to disorder vacuum seamen.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3747 on: January 31, 2019, 12:16:12 pm »

Space Black Elfs
It's Melanin Enriched Space Elves, thank you very much.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: January 31, 2019, 01:29:22 pm »

Pulling everything from a JSON file (structured text basically) would be really easy, and is one of the best ways in many languages to store objects.

I feel that the best thing that could happen with this is someone made a really, really basic, version which was open source and well commented. From that, I'm sure there would be more people willing to actively take up the mantle 

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: January 31, 2019, 01:54:05 pm »

I feel that the best thing that could happen with this is someone made a really, really basic, version which was open source and well commented. From that, I'm sure there would be more people willing to actively take up the mantle

What minimal feature set would you want in that version?
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 288