Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799156 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3720 on: January 29, 2019, 12:54:45 pm »

Folks we have a 40k thread in General Discussion for this stuff. Go there. Why grown men can't RP women Space Marines is not relevant to the resurrection or reburial of Chapter Master.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: January 29, 2019, 02:41:48 pm »

please stop

You have no idea what you're talking about and almost everything you're saying is demonstrably wrong

signed, a lawyer

Yes please do demonstrate - we've had this before on other topics (and possibly this one before) where you've come in and say 'no I'm a lawyer and that's not correct' and then don't really say anything that backs it up other than your interpretation. Give me UK case law that backs up why what I've said is wrong and I'll be happy to eat my words. As a lawyer, you'll have easy access to all of the UK's legal documentation and Hansard, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't claim to be a copyright lawyer, but I have been intimately involved in cases which involved creative and copyright disputes over software a number of times in the past. What I've said is true as I know it in the UK/EU, and I don't know what could be taken as being 'demonstrably wrong' - sure, some things you might disagree on to degrees (you may be convinced GW would grant retroactive copyright in certain cases for instance, or that courts are forgiving on not defending copyright) but I feel the points I've made are all generally accurate.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: January 29, 2019, 02:44:27 pm »

I guess you could say he handles the mantle of lawyer...

With zero gravitas?

Okay, okay, I'm leaving.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: January 29, 2019, 04:16:28 pm »

I'd say copyright is one of the very, very few times when the opposite is true. Companies almost never grant retroactive copyright, as the whole thing with copyright law is that you have to be seen to be defending your rights - if the company started allowing retroactive copyright for games/things that were 'good', then everyone would be able to claim 'well I was violating the copyright, but I believed my thing was good enough that they'd license it'.

you DON'T need to "be seen to be defending your rights." there's no way to lose your copyright outside of intentionally transferring to someone else, or time. the idea that you need to be seen defending your rights or you lose them is probably the most common copyright myth.

there isn't really a "case" to point to prove a negative. there's simply no way to lose your copyright.

Copyright is all about setting precedent.

no, completely the opposite. copyright protects a specific work for a specific period of time. there is no "precedent." it's either protected, or it's not. again, this is just what copyright is.

It's why you see all those ridiculous claims from game companies - they don't believe it either, but they have to show they're defending their copyright, otherwise the next time round the judge might say 'you obviously aren't bothered, so we're not going to rule' - it sounds bonkers, and it is.

again, false.

Once you've been given that Cease and Desist or a ruling has been made against you, you have to stop EVERYTHING to do with the product - no sly releases or putting out source code etc. If there is even a hint that you've been involved after that then it gets really messy. You can't un-ring the bell on it, so it's better for it never to happen.

I admit, you're merely being imprecise here, but you certainly have other options if you receive a c&d letter, like filing suit for a declaratory judgment (or whatever you call those cute retaliatory claims in the UK).

Something to make very clear:
They can't sue you immediately unless you've made serious profits/you were trying to sell counterfeit goods etc. whilst the line varies, none of that would be an issue here.

in the US, this is absolutely 100% false. they can immediately sue you. there is no legal requirement that you send the alleged infringer a c&d first. this is why you shouldn't be giving out this sort of advice; you might know a little bit from first-hand experience in the UK, but you were talking to someone in Nebraska.

You'll get that C&D warning first, and they have to say exactly what you've violated. They can't just say 'idk space marines or something' - they'll have to say what and where you've violated their copyright. If you change it, you can go back to them and say 'here it is, does it violate anything now?' and they can't just say 'no but we don't like it so stop'. Many people just stop because it's not worth the hassle for them to change things, which is why I've kept on banging on about making it something that can be modded easily and uses different lore/assets/etc.

you seem to be confusing copyright with trademark/trade dress/product identity. here, and particularly in your first paragraph about being "seen enforcing your rights", you're talking about maintaining product identity based on likeness, not copyright. again, common mistake, but you're not a lawyer, so i would just ask you to stop expounding on something where you can't even get the basic apples versus oranges right.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: January 29, 2019, 04:41:50 pm »

no, completely the opposite. copyright protects a specific work for a specific period of time. there is no "precedent." it's either protected, or it's not. again, this is just what copyright is.

I admit, you're merely being imprecise here, but you certainly have other options if you receive a c&d letter, like filing suit for a declaratory judgment (or whatever you call those cute retaliatory claims in the UK).

in the US, this is absolutely 100% false. they can immediately sue you. there is no legal requirement that you send the alleged infringer a c&d first. this is why you shouldn't be giving out this sort of advice; you might know a little bit from first-hand experience in the UK, but you were talking to someone in Nebraska.

you seem to be confusing copyright with trademark/trade dress/product identity. here, and particularly in your first paragraph about being "seen enforcing your rights", you're talking about maintaining product identity based on likeness, not copyright. again, common mistake, but you're not a lawyer, so i would just ask you to stop expounding on something where you can't even get the basic apples versus oranges right.

This is exactly the same as all the other times you've claimed you're a lawyer - 'im a lawyer and you're wrong' -> 'prove what is wrong' -> 'here are my thoughts'. Unless you have case law to back you up, then I'm afraid I'm going to call bullshit on all of that.

To dismantle a few specific points though. First and foremost, GW is a UK company and has all of the legal issues that are specific to here to deal with as well as the ones in the US. Whilst they could technically sue immediately, it may be difficult to get the wheels turning if they made no contact beforehand - especially when it's a product that isn't being actively sold and is very small scale. Even GW may feel that's a bit OTT. More than that, lets take a brief look at what the UK Copyright Service has to say about this (https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p05_copyright_infringement): 'The first step is to make the infringer aware of your objection and put forward a reasonable settlement and time scale to reach the settlement.' Now they can still claim for damages, but I'd say it is unlikely to get through - again if you have actual case law, I'm willing to listen.

Second point. In terms of 'precedent' it's something called 'sleeping on rights'. As you're in the US you might be interested in this one: https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverherzfeld/2013/02/28/failure-to-enforce-trademarks-if-you-snooze-do-you-lose/#44dd15196c22. You'll find plenty of other items on that term to back that up. Again, it's not clear cut (nothing in the law is), but it's one of the reasons why companies are so jealous about protecting their rights. Again, case law to prove otherwise or it didn't happen.

Thirdly, if an indie developer making a non-profit game as a hobby wants to try to counter a lawsuit from a huge corporation then...well...I mean go for it I guess?!?

I'm well aware of the many elements of legalese that make up the different strands of product enforcement - I used the term copyright from the point of view that it's a well known term, and it's one everyone 'gets'. Lastly, I agree you shouldn't take legal advice from a forum (and certainly not from someone without any sources...) but I'm just putting forward what I believe to be true from my experience and backing it up with what I have. If you want to dispute with case law or past rulings I'd be happy to debate, otherwise...

Case closed.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: January 29, 2019, 05:05:05 pm »

You two realize that you are fundamentally in agreement: AKA, you both agree GW will sue. Right?

Now you might proceed with your pissing contest
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: January 29, 2019, 05:39:28 pm »

You two realize that you are fundamentally in agreement: AKA, you both agree GW will sue. Right?

Now you might proceed with your pissing contest

Sort of - the issue is that there's become this sort of weird myth spring up that if you make anything even vaguely related to 'angry men in space with lots of guns' that GW will sue you into oblivion - I think that's very unlikely if you don't copy anything directly, and I've been trying to steer new creators towards doing something that doesn't infringe. Our last false Emperor also came in and said that they wouldn't get in trouble because they weren't charging and that they might give them retroactive copyright - both of which I believe are very unlikely and I tried to explain why.

More than that, I honestly don't care for a pissing contest - I've given what I believe to be the right answer on this. What does piss me off though is ZeroGravitas wading into threads and rudely saying 'you have no idea what you're talking about I'M A LAWYER' without backing up anything, and when asked to do so just comes out with his thoughts on the matter - any lawyer I've met can bash me over the head with case law in seconds if I'm wrong, even if it's not their actual field of law.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: January 29, 2019, 06:51:16 pm »

This is exactly the same as all the other times you've claimed you're a lawyer - 'im a lawyer and you're wrong' -> 'prove what is wrong' -> 'here are my thoughts'. Unless you have case law to back you up, then I'm afraid I'm going to call bullshit on all of that.

Do you even know what "case law" is?

Case law is when there is some point of contention about what the law is, which is clarified and expanded upon by a legal decision (a case).

So pretty fucking obviously, if there is never a particular point of contention about the law, there won't be any case law on it.

For example, there's no case law that says, "It's legal to put cheese on your eggs," because nobody would ever argue that it's illegal to put cheese on your eggs. There's no legal basis to say that it would be.

I can give you a billion different cases that recite the black letter law that copyright is a purely statutory construction, and that the only rights and duties under copyright are those imposed by the copyright act (Wheaton v. Peters, 33 U.S. (8 Pet.) 591, 663-64, 8 L.Ed. 1055 (1834); see also Stewart v. Abend, 495 U.S. 207, 251, 110 S.Ct. 1750, 109 L.Ed.2d 184 (1990) (Stevens, J., dissenting) (stating that copyright is statutorily created); M. Kramer Mfg. Co. v. Andrews, 783 F.2d 421, 432 (4th Cir.1986) ("The right of copyright is a creature of federal statute, with its constitutional base in Article I, § 8, cl. 8."); Russell v. Price, 612 F.2d 1123, 1129 n. 17 (9th Cir.1979); Microsoft Corp. v. Grey Computer, 910 F.Supp. 1077, 1084 (D.Md.1995) ("Unlike contracts, copyrights and the rights flowing therefrom are entirely creatures of statute...."), and I can give you a link to the copyright act (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17), and then let you read the copyright act yourself, and see that there is no way to LOSE your copyright through lack of enforcement.

I GUESS you could argue that an untimely claim would be barred by laches (not that you know that is), but no, the doctrine of laches can't apply to copyright claims ( https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/12-1315_f20h.pdf ). So... if you want a case, sure. There it is. Petrella v. MGM.

To dismantle a few specific points though. First and foremost, GW is a UK company and has all of the legal issues that are specific to here to deal with as well as the ones in the US.

lol... what... do you mean? Do you even know what you mean?

I don't think you understand that whatever quaint rules the UK has for civil procedure, those won't apply in the US. UK law isn't going to govern anything about when a suit can be brought in the US. Moreover, in a copyright infringement suit in the US, US law is going to apply, not UK law. And vice versa, of course. The applicable substantive and procedural law is going to depend on where the alleged infringer is, because courts in the other country don't have jurisdiction on any activities in the other country.

Whilst they could technically sue immediately, it may be difficult to get the wheels turning if they made no contact beforehand - especially when it's a product that isn't being actively sold and is very small scale. Even GW may feel that's a bit OTT.

So which point were you dismantling here? The one where you said, "they can't sue you before sending a letter before claim" and I said, "In the US they can"? So that's settled, then?

More than that, lets take a brief look at what the UK Copyright Service has to say about this (https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p05_copyright_infringement): 'The first step is to make the infringer aware of your objection and put forward a reasonable settlement and time scale to reach the settlement.' Now they can still claim for damages, but I'd say it is unlikely to get through - again if you have actual case law, I'm willing to listen.

And again, as I said, in the UK, sure. Cute. But you weren't addressing someone in the UK. An American in America said, "better to ask forgiveness than permission", and you dropped an entirely irrelevant perspective on UK civil procedure.

More importantly, what you're citing isn't "law." If you want to cite the UK CPR, go ahead and do it.

Second point. In terms of 'precedent' it's something called 'sleeping on rights'. As you're in the US you might be interested in this one: https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverherzfeld/2013/02/28/failure-to-enforce-trademarks-if-you-snooze-do-you-lose/#44dd15196c22. You'll find plenty of other items on that term to back that up. Again, it's not clear cut (nothing in the law is), but it's one of the reasons why companies are so jealous about protecting their rights. Again, case law to prove otherwise or it didn't happen.

Remember when I said, "you're confusing trademark with copyright?" The problem, as I said, is you fundamentally don't understand what you're talking about.

Thirdly, if an indie developer making a non-profit game as a hobby wants to try to counter a lawsuit from a huge corporation then...well...I mean go for it I guess?!?

Sure, this is a legitimate problem. You "win" a copyright defense case, and you get nothing. In the US, you can't even get your legal fees back. Even if you win, you don't win. I agree.

That said, you're generally going to get a settlement out of a huge corporation, too. Why? Lawyers are expensive. You're a small indie developer. You have no assets. They aren't going to "get" anything from you. Except that they want you to stop infringing, change whatever thing they think is wrong with it, or even sign a licensing agreement to make it all legit.

I'm well aware of the many elements of legalese that make up the different strands of product enforcement - I used the term copyright from the point of view that it's a well known term, and it's one everyone 'gets'.

rooooooofffffflllllll

These are incredibly technical and specific legal terms. Copyright is a specific set of rights that attaches to specific things at specific times. IT IS NOT interchangeable with "trademark" or "passing off" or any other form of IP (including patents and trade secrets). Hence the apples and oranges comparison I made earlier: "well, everyone 'gets' what an apple is, so I used that to talk about growing oranges and other citrus fruits, because both grow on trees."

Specifically, you say, "You have to defend your copyright" and the answer is, no, you don't have to defend your copyright. Do you have to defend your trademarks? Sometimes. Hence why you can't just swap the terms back and forth.

Lastly, I agree you shouldn't take legal advice from a forum (and certainly not from someone without any sources...) but I'm just putting forward what I believe to be true from my experience and backing it up with what I have.

so literally "no one should listen to me, but i'm talking anyway." cool.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: January 29, 2019, 07:10:13 pm »

What does piss me off though is ZeroGravitas wading into threads and rudely saying 'you have no idea what you're talking about I'M A LAWYER' without backing up anything, and when asked to do so just comes out with his thoughts on the matter - any lawyer I've met can bash me over the head with case law in seconds if I'm wrong, even if it's not their actual field of law.

I kind of assumed I had done this, but actually, I don't think I ever posted in this thread before? I searched for my name in this thread, as well as any post where I said "lawyer" or "attorney."

Maybe you're thinking of a different thread?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: January 29, 2019, 07:47:36 pm »

For example, there's no case law that says, "It's legal to put cheese on your eggs," because nobody would ever argue that it's illegal to put cheese on your eggs. There's no legal basis to say that it would be.

Don't hebrew dietary laws ban eating eggs and dairy together?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: January 29, 2019, 07:52:28 pm »

Don't hebrew dietary laws ban eating eggs and dairy together?

no. eggs are pareve, not meat (assuming no blood spots). so you can mix eggs and dairy.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3731 on: January 29, 2019, 08:16:53 pm »

(somebody suggested to me that a spirit of calm and cheerfulness and such should descend upon this thread, and that sounds like a wholesome thought)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: January 29, 2019, 09:38:56 pm »

(somebody suggested to me that a spirit of calm and cheerfulness and such should descend upon this thread, and that sounds like a wholesome thought)
That means you are going to finish Chapter Master? :D
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: January 29, 2019, 09:48:47 pm »

That means you are going to finish Chapter Master? :D
Praise the Toad-Emperor!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3734 on: January 29, 2019, 09:53:29 pm »

Let's just hope no dwarf ever makes a pair of pauldrons painted blue with an engraving of a white inverted statue on them.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 288