Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799093 times)

xxxhalo4lifexxx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3690 on: January 26, 2019, 01:18:22 am »

The itch.io is down, did The false Emperor already fail us?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: January 26, 2019, 02:59:04 am »

What the hell, this user has been here since 2013, but has only ever said this. What an amazingly dedicated fan of Chapter Master!  :o
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: January 26, 2019, 03:40:40 am »

Total time spent onlime 29 mins.

Weird. Weird if it's a real user, weird if it's a deep umdercover bot
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: January 26, 2019, 02:20:32 pm »

What the hell, this user has been here since 2013, but has only ever said this. What an amazingly dedicated fan of Chapter Master!  :o
That's what you call a lurker. General tech estimates is that only a tenth of your site viewers post, so it's not strange if a regular lurker might have incidentally made an account after coming around the first time, but not had anything in particular to contribute until now.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: January 26, 2019, 02:23:47 pm »

That's no lurker. That's the lurkerest.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: January 26, 2019, 02:23:54 pm »

Or we are seeing a deep GW undercover agent unravel a long time conspiracy.

I just have to say one thing: "In the name of The Emperor, finish this!".
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

xxxhalo4lifexxx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: January 26, 2019, 03:00:18 pm »

That's what you call a lurker. General tech estimates is that only a tenth of your site viewers post, so it's not strange if a regular lurker might have incidentally made an account after coming around the first time, but not had anything in particular to contribute until now.
I am not an agent of the Ordo Chronos, this post is accurate.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:19 pm »

I wonder if TheEmperor will recognize that they have fulfilled the prophecy? That we are doomed to watch as a never-ending succession of false emperors rise, demand our worship as befits The One True Emperor, castigate our skepticism in the face of their majesty, and then fall silent and disappear as each false emperor has before them? Will they, like so many before them, blame we, the faithless, for their fall from grace?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: January 27, 2019, 02:59:03 am »

I wonder if TheEmperor will recognize that they have fulfilled the prophecy? That we are doomed to watch as a never-ending succession of false emperors rise, demand our worship as befits The One True Emperor, castigate our skepticism in the face of their majesty, and then fall silent and disappear as each false emperor has before them? Will they, like so many before them, blame we, the faithless, for their fall from grace?

In order: No, no, and yes.

Chapter Master's never coming back. As has been said up-thread, it can never make anyone money or even serve as resume fodder because it's illegal, so it's out of the question for anyone with the skill set to complete the project -- and, while open source can do a lot of things, games strain its capabilities given the diversity of talents required and the concomitant cat-herding to get all the pieces working together. Again, the people who can do this have better things to do.

This has been true since the original version, and it's only gotten more obvious as the failures have piled up. At this point anyone trying to resurrect it has to believe they're better than everyone who's tried and failed despite being in the same general boat vis-a-vis more worthwhile projects, and they've also got to think they're going to outmaneuver GW's lawyers besides. Such people do not generally take skepticism well.

However, now we have been promised an open-source version. Behold:

If the project is to fail for whatever reason, the source code I have written is commented and pretty well laid out, and I will release all assets that can be released without copyright issues so people can just insert stuff that was paid for unity things.

I can hardly wait.  :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:10:51 am by Trekkin »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: January 27, 2019, 12:45:22 pm »

Chapter Master's never coming back.
I mean, people said it would never be made for like two years or something before Duke went and did it. I'm not holding out high hopes of anything, but stranger things have happened.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: January 27, 2019, 06:21:09 pm »

Do you write for the Black Library!? I feel you should narrate our struggles to crown a True Emperor - The Bay12us Heresy.

I'm going to give this latest appearance a bit of time - one week really isn't that long, especially if they're wanting to release something more substantial to assuage our doubts. Whilst I don't think we really reacted out of form, I imagine they didn't get the reaction they were expecting either - no one enjoys posting into lots of negativity.

Chapter Master's never coming back. As has been said up-thread, it can never make anyone money or even serve as resume fodder because it's illegal, so it's out of the question for anyone with the skill set to complete the project -- and, while open source can do a lot of things, games strain its capabilities given the diversity of talents required and the concomitant cat-herding to get all the pieces working together. Again, the people who can do this have better things to do.
The one thing this has going for it is that some people are VERY passionate about w40k. Have you seen some of the fan vids?? They're insane. More than that, you could do all of the portfolio/asking for money/etc. if you just changed it to 'Legion Leader' and included modding capabilities.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: January 27, 2019, 07:03:16 pm »

Well, you know what they say.

Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. (At least in the real world, that shit is HERESY in 40k.) And with GWS's licensing wing these days, they'd greenlight a game written in BASIC as long as it printed a reasonable enough rendition of the Imperial Aquila to the screen :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:05:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

xxxhalo4lifexxx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: January 27, 2019, 07:16:13 pm »

I'm going to give this latest appearance a bit of time - one week really isn't that long, especially if they're wanting to release something more substantial to assuage our doubts. Whilst I don't think we really reacted out of form, I imagine they didn't get the reaction they were expecting either - no one enjoys posting into lots of negativity.
The thing is though that he took down the website, what reason would he have for doing that other than because he quit?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: January 27, 2019, 07:36:56 pm »

Looks like we have performed exterminatus on this project thanks to our well intentioned, but rather stern, quite very stern indeed (oh, so stern) advice.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:16 am »

The thing is though that he took down the website, what reason would he have for doing that other than because he quit?

I hadn't realised. That's...not a great sign. Still, 

Well, you know what they say.

Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. (At least in the real world, that shit is HERESY in 40k.) And with GWS's licensing wing these days, they'd greenlight a game written in BASIC as long as it printed a reasonable enough rendition of the Imperial Aquila to the screen :P
I'd say copyright is one of the very, very few times when the opposite is true. Companies almost never grant retroactive copyright, as the whole thing with copyright law is that you have to be seen to be defending your rights - if the company started allowing retroactive copyright for games/things that were 'good', then everyone would be able to claim 'well I was violating the copyright, but I believed my thing was good enough that they'd license it'.

Copyright is all about setting precedent. It's why you see all those ridiculous claims from game companies - they don't believe it either, but they have to show they're defending their copyright, otherwise the next time round the judge might say 'you obviously aren't bothered, so we're not going to rule' - it sounds bonkers, and it is. Once you've been given that Cease and Desist or a ruling has been made against you, you have to stop EVERYTHING to do with the product - no sly releases or putting out source code etc. If there is even a hint that you've been involved after that then it gets really messy. You can't un-ring the bell on it, so it's better for it never to happen.

Something to make very clear:
They can't sue you immediately unless you've made serious profits/you were trying to sell counterfeit goods etc. whilst the line varies, none of that would be an issue here. You'll get that C&D warning first, and they have to say exactly what you've violated. They can't just say 'idk space marines or something' - they'll have to say what and where you've violated their copyright. If you change it, you can go back to them and say 'here it is, does it violate anything now?' and they can't just say 'no but we don't like it so stop'. Many people just stop because it's not worth the hassle for them to change things, which is why I've kept on banging on about making it something that can be modded easily and uses different lore/assets/etc.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 288