Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798867 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3225 on: May 17, 2016, 03:27:56 am »

(:

kayosetsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: May 20, 2016, 01:55:00 am »

Been out of the loop for a bit but from what I've seen I summed it all up to this:

Journier poofed and now Flow is now our only hope, but progress is slow.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: May 20, 2016, 03:45:32 am »

I have faith that Journier will return.  I knew him from way back and don't think he'd flake.

His programmer may have flaked or something, but he'll probably come back at some point to share what he's got.

Keeping this ravening horde slaked with updates is a vexing prospect, he's probably ignoring the thread.  ;)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: May 20, 2016, 04:26:40 pm »

Been out of the loop for a bit but from what I've seen I summed it all up to this:

Journier poofed and now Flow is now our only hope, but progress is slow.
And Flow, despite being a decent enough game dev from what we've seen, doesn't know much about 40k or really understand why people wanted Chapter Master made in the first place.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: May 20, 2016, 04:33:19 pm »

I mean... I think many people have played Dawn of War but haven't actually bought miniatures from Games Workshop.  The concept has kinda spread outside of the dedicated hobbyists.  It's also good meme fuel.

So personally, most of my hype is for Interstellar Army Simulator or whatever.  I haven't bought hard into space marines(tm), just SPEHS MAHRINES.

IE Spartans.  Or anyone else in power armor.  Doesn't matter.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: May 20, 2016, 04:48:35 pm »

I love me some space studs in power armor, in the most heterosexual way possible.  Which probably ISN'T actually possible, so there it is.

What really sold me on the whole CM business was page one of this thread, with the picture straight out of 1987 Rogue Trader.  I'm not a huge fan of what the franchise has become, but that original imagery was just magical.

CM always felt a little bit classic in nature, maybe it was just how rough hewn the interface was, and how simple the graphics were.

Whatever it was about it, it really brought me back to 1987 and flipping through that book (on the school playground) with the diagrams of the Corvis "beaky" armor, and the lists of all the augmentations and organs that marines had.  And the color spread in the middle with the various paint schemes for each legion...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: May 20, 2016, 05:54:27 pm »

I love me some space studs in power armor, in the most heterosexual way possible.  Which probably ISN'T actually possible, so there it is.

What really sold me on the whole CM business was page one of this thread, with the picture straight out of 1987 Rogue Trader.  I'm not a huge fan of what the franchise has become, but that original imagery was just magical.

CM always felt a little bit classic in nature, maybe it was just how rough hewn the interface was, and how simple the graphics were.

Whatever it was about it, it really brought me back to 1987 and flipping through that book (on the school playground) with the diagrams of the Corvis "beaky" armor, and the lists of all the augmentations and organs that marines had.  And the color spread in the middle with the various paint schemes for each legion...

This is me, pretty much to a T. Which is why IAS doesn't really get my enthusiasm. I appreciate the work being done but 'generic' is pretty much the opposite of what brought me to CM in the first place.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: May 20, 2016, 06:14:15 pm »

Hm.  I actually feel like generic space studs in power armor was perfectly in line with Interstellar Army Simulator.  WH40K has an amazing amount of fluff which I do like, but it hardly owns the idea of power armored badasses.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: May 20, 2016, 06:50:10 pm »

Hm.  I actually feel like generic space studs in power armor was perfectly in line with Interstellar Army Simulator.  WH40K has an amazing amount of fluff which I do like, but it hardly owns the idea of power armored badasses.

The names, the structures of things, the conceits, the imagery. All these make it more than "generic dudes in power armor" to me. And they all happen to be the things that have to be changed for it to live without harassment. I guess what I'm saying is, without all the supporting ideas and flourishes dudes in power armor aren't really all that interesting. I said it back at the start of the thread: fluff and how it cleaves to the fluff is what makes CM so great. Without it, it's a spreadsheet game for the most part.

If it's a solid base to put all that stuff back on though, then hurrah, Emperor be praised, so on and so forth.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: May 20, 2016, 07:21:07 pm »

The names, the structures of things, the conceits, the imagery. All these make it more than "generic dudes in power armor" to me.
Totally agreed, it's a beautiful canon.
And they all happen to be the things that have to be changed for it to live without harassment.
Mostly, yeah, but look at Star Craft.  If Blizzard got away with that (and that was frankly bullshit, in my opinion) then clearly there is room for interstellar MAHREENS.
She/they

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: May 20, 2016, 07:43:36 pm »

Wasn't ever implying there isn't room for more. But for me? I don't play Starcraft because of the lore, because of the visuals. Because guys in power armor don't hold some intrinsic value for me, personally.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: May 20, 2016, 07:47:58 pm »

I meant that Starcraft stole practically wholesale from Warhammer40k.  Like, wow.  It's less obvious in Starcraft 2, of *course*, but in the original?  Sure they added some touches, but they very clearly started from an Eldar/Tyrannid/Imperium base.

Like it's actually one of the few things I get annoyed with my friends about.  It's blatant.

And yet, it wasn't judged any violation of copyright.  And thus, Interstellar Army Simulator can be (probably not even) that close and be okay.
She/they

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: May 21, 2016, 02:53:22 am »

I meant that Starcraft stole practically wholesale from

Hur hur:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:55:14 am by puke »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: May 21, 2016, 02:56:30 am »

It's a bunch of 'I'm an angry nerd' and none of the 'This is why you're so very wrong'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: May 21, 2016, 03:21:43 am »

Haha, no, you don't get it.  Rolan is exactly correct, and his assertion carries to blizzard's older 'craft property as well.

Blizzard has SAID as much.  It isn't a matter of nerd debate: they have copped to it.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 288