Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798000 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3165 on: May 01, 2016, 01:03:46 am »

It's a bit of a tight deadline, but I'm about halfway through regiment creation screens and hope to have them up by this Sunday. For now the content will be fairly slim as far as traits, preferences and scripts go, but that will obviously expand as the project goes on. For now I will likely just include a single trait, a single script and a single preference to test things out with and showcase the system.
Excellent. If you need help with those, I'm happy to textdump further.

If the chapters stay in the showcase as the game moves further, it's worth noting that the Space Wolves, Salamanders, Black Templar, Grey Knights and Dark Angels all have some special-snowflake chapter design which might push the boundaries of the flexibility of your system.
(The original CM was awful at accommodating these.)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 01, 2016, 02:18:49 am »

What horus heresy mod for interstellar army sim looks like?

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
  • 91st Special Action Regiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 01, 2016, 04:07:35 am »

Those look great. Could you chuck me an email with the base files and what theyre intended to replace for current files?

They weren't really intended to replace anything, as most of them are only coloured files except the Ultramarine, so the idea would be to instead appear on your marines when you chose certain chapters (with regards to the colours and symbols) or be special armour options (with regards to the Ultramarine Armour). I don't know how difficult it would be to implement that though, hopefully it should be easy!

Any favorite chapters for custom armours?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:21:47 am by Guardsman111 »
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 01, 2016, 06:07:59 am »

Those look great. Could you chuck me an email with the base files and what theyre intended to replace for current files?

They weren't really intended to replace anything, as most of them are only coloured files except the Ultramarine, so the idea would be to instead appear on your marines when you chose certain chapters (with regards to the colours and symbols) or be special armour options (with regards to the Ultramarine Armour). I don't know how difficult it would be to implement that though, hopefully it should be easy!

Any favorite chapters for custom armours?

Oh even better! I have the perfect place for them. If you can send em over ill try to get them in for tonight.

It's a bit of a tight deadline, but I'm about halfway through regiment creation screens and hope to have them up by this Sunday. For now the content will be fairly slim as far as traits, preferences and scripts go, but that will obviously expand as the project goes on. For now I will likely just include a single trait, a single script and a single preference to test things out with and showcase the system.
Excellent. If you need help with those, I'm happy to textdump further.

If the chapters stay in the showcase as the game moves further, it's worth noting that the Space Wolves, Salamanders, Black Templar, Grey Knights and Dark Angels all have some special-snowflake chapter design which might push the boundaries of the flexibility of your system.
(The original CM was awful at accommodating these.)

Each custom regiment currently has a description field that could do with filling, if you fancy doing that? Just a general overview of the them, like a blurb.

It should be possible to fit in the unique structures fairly easily. it won't include them in today's version as I likely won't have time, but I'll try to put up a guide or make a small tool to generate the scripts within the next week or so when I get some time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:11:43 am by Flow »

veryangryenglishman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: May 02, 2016, 10:23:57 am »

Is the cap of sub-units going to be permanent? If it's not possible to do it so it'd be more down to the players choice, that's fine, but it really hits at how flexibly the armies can be made

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 02, 2016, 10:44:31 am »

Is the cap of sub-units going to be permanent? If it's not possible to do it so it'd be more down to the players choice, that's fine, but it really hits at how flexibly the armies can be made

The limit was actually imposed purely graphically to avoid ugly scroll bars or tricky interfaces. Strictly speaking, you can have more than 10 subunits for any given unit, it just won't show beyond 10 and as such they're inaccessible in that particular menu.

Generally speaking we figured that 10 subunits and 10 soldiers maximums would still allow for infinitely large and complex armies, they might just need to be broken up further.

Say you want a space marine chapter with 10,000 marines in it. Well you could split that up into 10 batallions, each batallion has 10 companies, each company has 100 marines, etc. It gets trickier when you want specific nubmers - ie this chapter wants exactly 17 companies and no more, no less - well in that case it might be reasonable to have 8 main companies, each of which is "1st & 2nd", "3rd & 4th" and so on, containing two subunits that is each a company.

Ultimately the engine can handle near-infinite numbers depending on how slowly you want to play and how powerful your machine is, but it's difficult to elegantly display such compositions in a way that doesn't require each and every game to have a custom-designed layout.

The four additional top-level subunits were added to facilitate support staff for the larger unit (so in this case a chapter). The boxes are smaller, and less visually appealing, but we felt it was important to allow for non-combat subunits of the top-level unit that can be filled with medica, technicians, priests, and so on. These would obviously represent the Reclusium, Apothecarion, Librarium and Forge for a chapter, but could just as easily be a mage corps or stealth teams or similar for other games.

Hope that clears things up a bit :)

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 02, 2016, 03:12:00 pm »

10 000 Space Marines isn't a Chapter, it is pretty much a Legion.

And considering there are around 1 000 000 Space Marines in the whole galaxy any chapter holding such number would be attacked by every other.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 03, 2016, 02:50:38 am »

Dont black templars have like 10000 marines?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:17 am »

Dont black templars have like 10000 marines?

Somewhere between 5 and 10, yeah. They get around the "codex compliant" issue by exploiting a loophole on Crusade Recruiting
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 03, 2016, 06:15:33 am »

Yeah, about that...

Not that it's something that can't be ignored.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: May 03, 2016, 07:18:01 am »

Last night I dreamt that SEGA was spying on chapter master and the big news today were about a official Chapter Master game and they hired Duke and Flow as game designers.

Alas was but a dream.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:14 am »

Last night I dreamt that SEGA was spying on chapter master and the big news today were about a official Chapter Master game and they hired Duke and Flow as game designers.

Alas was but a dream.

We can always dream :P

So a bug was found where only command squads would show changes to individual soldiers, its been fixed now and will be in next release.

Also working on a Secret Project with Guardsman, hopefully ready in a couple weeks or so. I'm hyped!

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
  • 91st Special Action Regiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 03, 2016, 01:07:03 pm »

Also working on a Secret Project with Guardsman, hopefully ready in a couple weeks or so. I'm hyped!

Awwh but this means I can't show the world my awesome yet!!!
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: May 03, 2016, 01:35:40 pm »

Yeah, about that...

Not that it's something that can't be ignored.

It seems odd that GW would come down so hard on a bit of fluff?! I mean I know the whole thing is that no company can become too strong and whatever, but it reallllly doesn't seem like a big deal...
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 03, 2016, 06:01:36 pm »

Remember, this is the company that went from Noise Marines having Chaos Guitars to what we have now, which is guys that scream. A company that happily let Our Spiritual Liege try and make every Chapter derivative of Ultramarines. Protecting and nurturing individual identities of the different sub-factions in their games does not seem to the 21st Millennium GWS's priority. Consolidation does.

Or maybe they just got tired of hearing "But the Codex Astartes says 1000 marines...." in relation to BTs and just decided to remove that point of contention entirely.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:03:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 288