Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 800347 times)

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3060 on: April 09, 2016, 05:25:14 pm »

Mind if I send you a partial list for now? It's midnight over where I am. Also handicapped by phone.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: April 09, 2016, 05:42:39 pm »

Mind if I send you a partial list for now? It's midnight over where I am. Also handicapped by phone.

Not a problem, I appreciate anything you can do to help :)

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: April 09, 2016, 05:45:37 pm »

Sent a few.  I have lots more prepared. Would it be wrong to include names that fit the theme, but aren't Canon?

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: April 09, 2016, 05:59:21 pm »

Sent a few.  I have lots more prepared. Would it be wrong to include names that fit the theme, but aren't Canon?

Got it, thanks! Not at all, I'm sure eventually someone will make a mod that's super accurate canon and ensure everything is properly representative and all that, but that isn't gonna be me.

I just need some names to test large scale soldier editing with really. Figure it might as well be part of the sample CM mod!

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: April 09, 2016, 06:03:07 pm »

IIRC, the original CM had around 3000 randomly generated names for Marines. Is anywhere close to that number needed? Fairly sure i can spill something that comes close.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: April 09, 2016, 06:14:11 pm »

I'd regularly have marines with the same names (and some really lame names like Dave and Bob and Steve) so I would say "Yes, that many are needed and more."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: April 09, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »

IIRC, the original CM had around 3000 randomly generated names for Marines. Is anywhere close to that number needed? Fairly sure i can spill something that comes close.

Pretty much the more the merrier, honestly. They'll be bulk loaded into the engine so 10 is the same as 1000 in most regards, though obviously the latter js better for playing.

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: April 10, 2016, 06:36:39 am »

Can I get a PM of the list of names I've sent so far so I don't give duplicates, Flow?

Edit:Sent a bunch more. More coming if you wish.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:14:25 am by SkeletusAurelius »

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: April 10, 2016, 01:53:38 pm »

Thanks for all the help so far, got some 339 names in a file ready to be used. Any more is always welcome, from anyone as well. Just chuck em in a .txt and send to cmggamedev@gmail.com

Meanwhile, I'll have a post up tonight with a new version. Got a lot done alreayd this week but it's frustrating, I'm about 6 hours of coding away from a really big update with a lot of the groundwork already done so part of me wants to put off today's update until tomorrow or tuesday to get that done, but then I may not have time until next weekend and I'll break schedule. Ho hum.

At this rate I should be done with core interface elements in 2-3 weeks and can start on implementing some actual gameplay at that point. Exciting times!

For 40k fluffers out there, I read that Veteran Sergeant isn't a "proper" rank but is an honourary rank given to Vets that have served a logn time, but where would such a rank come in the overall rank structure? (ie compared to Sergeants, Captains, etc)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: April 10, 2016, 02:15:18 pm »

In the wise words of Prattchett: "No excuses. Not ever. Once you have a good excuse, you open the door to bad excuses, and soon you won't need one at all."

Might be smart to break schedule this time, but regardless of how good the reason, once the line is crossed it's infinitely easier to cross it again in the future.

40k Fluff (v Crunch):
IIRC Veteran sergeants are marines taken out of the 1st company (all veterans) in order to lead the "younger" squaddies. They're all pretty darn experienced, and canny on top of that.

Crunch:
They're by no means mandatory, in fact, they're a points-cost-extra to upgrade the "standard" sergeant.
I think they're +1BS, +1Attk, +1Ld. Still quite useful.

But yeah, much in the way of current ChapMast captains, they'd have to be "promoted backwards" into the less experienced companies.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:28:58 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: April 10, 2016, 02:20:10 pm »

In the wise words of Prattchett: "No excuses. Not ever. Once you have a good excuse, you open the door to bad excuses, and soon you won't need one at all."

Might be smart to break schedule this time, but regardless of how good the reason, once the line is crossed it's infinitely easier to cross it again in the future.

Exactly what I was thinking, sets a poor precedent. I'll just update with what I have tonight and next week will likely be a lot more interesting for people to actually use.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: April 10, 2016, 03:16:15 pm »

For 40k fluffers out there, I read that Veteran Sergeant isn't a "proper" rank but is an honourary rank given to Vets that have served a logn time, but where would such a rank come in the overall rank structure? (ie compared to Sergeants, Captains, etc)

As pointed out they are just simply better in the table top. Veteran Sergeants are definitely candidates for the 1st Company Terminator Squad, they've earned the honors. As for actual rank structure, I don't recall any real differences. I don't think they command above or below normal sergeants, and they're not off to the side the command structure like Company Champions. Tack is right that they do often end up leading scout squads (in fluff) due to their vast experience but lack of higher command responsibilities.

The Promotion Interface from CM definitely left a lot to be desired as far as keeping the command structure understandable. It really should have been some sort of list of filled vs. vacant spots for command rolls. Like you'd click into the open slot for the Captain of the 3rd Company and it'd present you a list of possible candidates who could be promoted into it. While it let you be flexible with force composition and maybe that was more important, as far as trying to run a Codex-style command hierarchy it got a little confusing to manage. You kept wanting to promote guys up because that's how games are. But the game really should have been like "Sorry, you've got 10 Captains already, this guy is just going to have to remain a bad ass veteran line troop."

The line between what's fluffy and what's gaming is pretty well defined due to the source material. Personally I lean on the side of the fluff but that's what I'm into. Maybe have a better version of CM's chapter structure controls, like, Strict/Flexible. I never really totally understood what all three options were about in CM.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: April 11, 2016, 02:28:41 pm »

Will return with more names on Saturday. Goodbye until then.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: April 11, 2016, 04:57:02 pm »

Will return with more names on Saturday. Goodbye until then.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Ditto to the lore guys, I'll probably leave out Veteran Sergeant for now as the initial CM is only intended to be a base unity to build on anyway.

I added a pageo n the blog to collate all patch notes & download links also, should be accessible by a link on the right side bar.

If all goes to plan, next week's update will involve a release where there's actually something for you guys to do. I realise it may seem pointless to be releasing versions that just have interfaces and no actual gameplay, but the way I figure it it'll show the true progress of the project throughout the weeks and months and provide a better idea of where I'm going with the game so people can provide nput/thoughts/opinions rather than just dumping a completed thing on you in a few months time.

Anyway, little bit of insight into my thinking. I'm super excited for this week(end)'s coding, I finally get to move onto some more fun stuff rather than basic interface design, woop woop!

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: April 11, 2016, 06:12:14 pm »

Did anyone ever get together a 100% working edition of Duke's last version of Interstellar Army Simulator with the 40K mod? I'd like something to play to tide me over to the next working remake release/put up in the first post, and because I haven't really looked at this thread in a while the download in the OP is hopelessly out of date.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 288