Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 800320 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3045 on: April 07, 2016, 10:36:23 am »

All of you that doubt him, must present to be enrolled on penal legions destined to Tyranid fronts.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: April 07, 2016, 01:34:28 pm »

Don't think that's quite accurate. I think he did cobble together some existing scrap code others had worked up to get to the releases he had, before he added a ton of his own work on top of it. Could be wrong though.
Whose work are you thinking he used? He didn't use anything from when it was helmed by vbcoder, and I don't think there was any other try at this besides that one.

veryangryenglishman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: April 08, 2016, 06:31:10 am »

It's very nice to see how actively you seem to read this thread.

Do you know how flexible players will be able to be regarding force organisation? One of my biggest frustrations with the old chapter master was that you had to have a codex chapter, organised in a certain way (although I am of course aware that the game wasn't finished).

Also, how easy will it be for the player to make money in the game?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: April 08, 2016, 06:51:24 am »

One of my biggest frustrations with the old chapter master was that you had to have a codex chapter, organised in a certain way

In that you had 10 companies, sure.  But you could actually go wildly off the reservation.

You could grow as far over 1000 marines as you had the geneseed for, and with the incubators that was basically unlimited as long as you could keep the inquisition at bay.  I think you could assign as many or as few marines to a company as you wanted, change squad size and composition arbitrarily, assign veterans, heroes, techmarines, and terminators however you wanted.  Go as vehicle heavy as you wanted.  Build as large of a fleet as you want...

It may have been a restriction that you could not assign terminator suits to non veterans, but you could absolutely give every marine from scout to champion dual plasma guns or auto-cannons, with croziuses and iron halos and whatever else.

There were actually very few codex restraints, it is one of the things I really liked about it.  My only complaint is that it didnt seem to handle dual-wielding heavy weapons, even though I'd assign them :)

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: April 08, 2016, 07:04:09 am »

Do you know how flexible players will be able to be regarding force organisation? One of my biggest frustrations with the old chapter master was that you had to have a codex chapter, organised in a certain way (although I am of course aware that the game wasn't finished).

I'm assuming this is aimed at me (apologies if not!)

Essentially this is going to be one of the core features of the engine. Because I am categorically not making a straight Chapter Master game due to a whole number of different reasons, it has to be flexible beyond 10 companies of 100 guys with one veteran and one scout etc. Current plan is for it to be mod-editable so the specific mod would set the overall structure, though eventually it will be included into an in-game interface in regiment(chapter) settings.

The current architecture is set up such that there are "Units" and "Soldiers". A Unit contains a flexibly sized list of Units and a flexibly sized list of Soldiers. So you can have as complicated or as simple a hierarchy as you like - one unit that contains 1000 soldiers and that's it, 1 chapterunit that contains 10 company units that have a set of commanders and then 10 squad units in them, with the squad units having a commander and five firing team units, firing team units having two guys in them, etc.

The key to this I think is going to be an easy to use interface to display the hierarchy, which is the bit I'm working on currently. The structure is there, it just needs to be accessible.

TL;DR: To start with you'll be able to define a structure in the mod files, eventually using a fancy interface on the fly in-game.

As for terminator armour, like all armour really it will be a limited resource and assignable to anyone that meets its qualifications - same for weapons most likely. The qualifications will be moddable so it could be that terminator armour requires a certain amount of experience, a certain number of battles fought, a certain strength score, or a certain name even. Similarly for other implementable armours like the various marks, dreadnaughts, etc. Again this will support the moddability of the engine and ensure that it isjust Chapter-Master-with-another-name, because that's not what I'm making.

Hope that explains some!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:09:07 am by Flow »

veryangryenglishman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: April 08, 2016, 08:18:59 am »

You could grow as far over 1000 marines as you had the geneseed for...

...Build as large a fleet as you want

Huh, I must be misremembering there then. I had thought the master of recruitment told the player that we had reached the max strength and so no more would be recruited. No matter then!

The only problem for the fleet was getting enough requisition for it! Did the inquisition actually end up attacking players who sold too much? I was never patient enough to farm the required geneseed or brave enough to keep selling when the big I was getting angsty at me to find out.

veryangryenglishman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: April 08, 2016, 08:23:22 am »

I'm assuming this is aimed at me (apologies if not!)

Essentially this is going to be one of the core features of the engine. Because I am categorically not making a straight Chapter Master game due to a whole number of different reasons, it has to be flexible beyond 10 companies of 100 guys with one veteran and one scout etc. Current plan is for it to be mod-editable so the specific mod would set the overall structure, though eventually it will be included into an in-game interface in regiment(chapter) settings.

The current architecture is set up such that there are "Units" and "Soldiers". A Unit contains a flexibly sized list of Units and a flexibly sized list of Soldiers. So you can have as complicated or as simple a hierarchy as you like - one unit that contains 1000 soldiers and that's it, 1 chapterunit that contains 10 company units that have a set of commanders and then 10 squad units in them, with the squad units having a commander and five firing team units, firing team units having two guys in them, etc.

The key to this I think is going to be an easy to use interface to display the hierarchy, which is the bit I'm working on currently. The structure is there, it just needs to be accessible.

TL;DR: To start with you'll be able to define a structure in the mod files, eventually using a fancy interface on the fly in-game.

As for terminator armour, like all armour really it will be a limited resource and assignable to anyone that meets its qualifications - same for weapons most likely. The qualifications will be moddable so it could be that terminator armour requires a certain amount of experience, a certain number of battles fought, a certain strength score, or a certain name even. Similarly for other implementable armours like the various marks, dreadnaughts, etc. Again this will support the moddability of the engine and ensure that it isjust Chapter-Master-with-another-name, because that's not what I'm making.

Hope that explains some!

Sorry, yes, I should have made sure you realised that this was at you!

This is a very helpful answer, it sounds like you have a really good idea for what you want the end game to be like, I had hoped that the generic nature of the base game would allow for a flexible structure, so I, for one, am really happy about this!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: April 08, 2016, 08:25:57 am »

Huh, I must be misremembering there then. I had thought the master of recruitment told the player that we had reached the max strength and so no more would be recruited. No matter then!

The only problem for the fleet was getting enough requisition for it! Did the inquisition actually end up attacking players who sold too much? I was never patient enough to farm the required geneseed or brave enough to keep selling when the big I was getting angsty at me to find out.

What you say sounds familiar, it might have changed in a later version to allow larger numbers.  certainly by the time the cloning tanks were in the game, the caps were lifted.  The inquisition would get angry if you stored too much geneseed, but I dont know if they got mad if you had too many marines because I never really raised that large of a force.  Easier to buy tanks and ships.

Regarding fleet size, i just memory hacked in extra cash.  Inquisition never cared in game.  But fluff wise, it is definitely not just a codex violation, but a violation of the separation  of powers that is supposed to keep the marines from starting their own empire.  High Lords of Terra would be mighty peeved.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: April 08, 2016, 12:34:17 pm »

What you say sounds familiar, it might have changed in a later version to allow larger numbers.  certainly by the time the cloning tanks were in the game, the caps were lifted.  The inquisition would get angry if you stored too much geneseed, but I dont know if they got mad if you had too many marines because I never really raised that large of a force.  Easier to buy tanks and ships.

Regarding fleet size, i just memory hacked in extra cash.  Inquisition never cared in game.  But fluff wise, it is definitely not just a codex violation, but a violation of the separation  of powers that is supposed to keep the marines from starting their own empire.  High Lords of Terra would be mighty peeved.
You can go over the 1000 marine cap, you just had to make the appropriate settings in chapter creation mode.  I forgot the details, its been awhile since I last played, around the time Duke made his exit.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: April 08, 2016, 03:03:22 pm »

Given I've had a few questions here and there, I've got one for those of you following the development on the blog:

Would you prefer fewer, consistent but more quality posts like the build updates every Sunday so the blog is kept neat and ordered, or those plus some sporadic and unpredictable general development posts about plans/thoughts/reasoning behind features and general information about what's to come?

On the one hand I'd like to keep it neat and keep the posts valuable rather than waffle on, but as I say I've had a few questions about planned features or design decisions here and there so it might be a good place to centralise them. Don't want to spam those that visit it for updates though.

Let me know what you think.

As an aside, should be a feature-filled post this Sunday with an updated build released!

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: April 08, 2016, 03:09:14 pm »

Normally i'd say quality over quantity, but given what you're working on, some rambling and questioning would not be out of place.  :)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: April 08, 2016, 03:13:21 pm »

Umm... have you considered opening a forum? There are some pages where you could do that for free. A basic one I think should do. In the mean time you could always hijack this very thread or make a new one (if Toady is okay) and point so in your blog, to ask questions and have random thoughts and updates here.

That or you could wrote everything down on a txt, .doc or whatever and pour them each sunday after the regular update, reserving only pressing matters to the forum thread (wherever that might be).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: April 09, 2016, 02:44:50 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll look into setting up a forum or a new thread here or something.

Does anyone happen to know if there's a big list of Space Marine names anywhere I can test with?

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: April 09, 2016, 05:00:40 pm »

Going to interperate this as a source of material for a name generating system for individual Marines in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's multiple lists of varying quality, but if you want I could go collect all of them with the ridiculous amounts of free time I have on my hands.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:02:24 pm by SkeletusAurelius »

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: April 09, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »

Going to interperate this as a source of material for a name generating system for individual Marines in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's multiple lists of varying quality, but if you want I could go collect all of them with the ridiculous amounts of free time I have on my hands.

That's exactly it yeah. Either two lists of firsts/lasts to combine or a list of full names.

If you don't mind and have the time, that would be incredibly useful for testing purposes.

If you do go ahead with it, I'd appreciate it in text files sent to cmggamedev@gmail.com

Thanks so much! :)
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 288