Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799782 times)

TrashMan

• Bay Watcher
  • PURGE THE UNCLEAN!
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #2685 on: November 20, 2015, 07:17:45 am »

A question - how do we stand on designs that aren't 100% canon, but aren't against canon.

Like, we know there are a million variations of a lasgun or a SM helmet or bolter and such. If one were to make a variant that isn't taken from an "approved art source", could that be used?

For example, look at the helmet on my avatar.
But wouldn't that cause hundreds of different people with different designs? Not that i have anything against it, but it's too much work for one person.

I mean, adding additional armor or weapon marks/variants, outside of the known marks. Of course, nothing lore breaking.

So you have basic armor marks, and then you have variants.

Let's say you select the Mk7 "Aquila". You can then select which variant you want to use. A clean variant, a decorated variant, variant with a different helmet, etc..
Mind you, all variants count as Mk7 aquila and have the same stats, so you can change it on any marine at any time, they are not tracked as separate item in your inventory. This makes it easier.

You can also add more basic models with different stats, like a Mk7B or Mk9. However, such could probably locked behind an optional mode. Similar to "Tons of Guns" in JA2, as an extra.
You determine at game start if you want to use less canonical stuff.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:27:40 am by TrashMan »
My custom chapter: (prepare to cringe)
http://wh40kfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Phoenix_Knights

TrashMan

• Bay Watcher
  • PURGE THE UNCLEAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: November 20, 2015, 07:30:27 am »

I'm talking about doing  run with a custom banner made using gimp i'm not offering to make or copy banners for every single chapter.

You know suggestions when I make the custo chapter tomorrow and do a recording session

Adding a shitton of custom banners for the player would also be good. I have a whole bunch of good ones.
However, a better selection method would be welcome...showing only 1 at any time means a LOT of clicking if you have a lot of banners.

TrashMan

• Bay Watcher
  • PURGE THE UNCLEAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: November 20, 2015, 07:46:40 am »

That doesn't sound bad, actually. I like the idea of the more elite space marines having backstories and history, even if it is just a single sentence or paragraph.

That sounds good, but it would require more variables to keep track of marines performance. Like number of enemies killed and such.
For example, after X number of kills and Y kills in a single battle, a marine might be awared a Crux Terminatus.
Surviving suicide missions might give a Imperial Laurel, etc...

Of course, more mission types would be necessary.

Like rearguard (delaying enemies during a retreat), evacuation (protecting X civilians as they evac), sabotage (inflitration behind enemy lines and destruction of their artilery/air power/communications/vehicles), breaktrough (punching a hole trough a enemy formation, assisting the IG), assasination (killing officers/leaders), last stand (no friendly ship in orbit, but have forces on the ground, allies all dead or almost dead)
Generally more mission types where you fight with allies - either you fight with them or you sandwich the enemy, depending on mission type

Each mission might vary in effectiveness depending on the enemy - assasination would hurt orks the most as they would start in-fighting, it would have little effect on some other enemies.
Eldar, since they are illusive in the field, so something that forces them to defend would work better, etc..

Naturally, these types of missions should have a visible effect - on the enemy, the planet, the allies.

Striking at the enemy shipyards may slow down their ship production (takes longer for them to create a fleet, or they create a smaller one), blowing up fuel depots slows down their expansion on the planet, re-capturing it (which is harder) boosts the IG/PDF their power, etc...

All of this would create an interesting power play where you goal would be to weaken the enemy as much as possible, rather than just charge at their main host.

frankensteins poster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: November 20, 2015, 08:12:45 am »

Recover a cache of pre-crusade armor? Happens all the time.
This would be really really cool as an Ancient Ruins or Space Hulk jackpot, or the end of some kind of event chain. Just 1D6 suits of Mk whatever armor. There's already a rare Mark of armor in the game was it IV or V?, so adding them as a possible Ancient Ruins outcome should be as easy as adding a line to the relevant event file.

e: actually, does someone have the link to the source code?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:25:50 am by frankensteins poster »

phoden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: November 20, 2015, 09:28:23 am »

I'm talking about doing  run with a custom banner made using gimp i'm not offering to make or copy banners for every single chapter.

You know suggestions when I make the custo chapter tomorrow and do a recording session

Adding a shitton of custom banners for the player would also be good. I have a whole bunch of good ones.
However, a better selection method would be welcome...showing only 1 at any time means a LOT of clicking if you have a lot of banners.

What are U talking about its hard to choose banners?

Are u playing the latest ver?

You do know the latest version allows you to pick a flag or custom flags by clicking the banner and than you can select from banners.

I'm talking about the picturs on the left becuase the right one is your progenitor chapter

look at this video 2:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcFV3lMWH0
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:37:42 am by phoden »

phoden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 20, 2015, 12:31:14 pm »

One thing to keep in mind:

The way Astartes fight. The game should be nudged more towards small SM forces fighting on many front in surgical strikes, special ops, rather than big, conventional fights. that's what the IG is for.

Also sicne you like did a 4triple post.

It already is kind of like that.
Raiding means deplyoing without mechanized transport and assatlting a smaller group of enemies.
Which weakens it overall.

Attacking isn't atatcking everywhere its mainly engaging.

For example if your marines land on a planet they will only be attacked if all plantary defense forces and ig are dead.

realy massivly attacking a large concentration of enemies is always costly , bombardment and raids are good a main atatck is to break the enemy back.

Since PDF and ig can only hold enemies or the imperial navy bombards it

This wy there are levels a rampart orc place doesn't have

frankensteins poster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: November 20, 2015, 01:44:19 pm »

This would be really really cool as an Ancient Ruins or Space Hulk jackpot, or the end of some kind of event chain. Just 1D6 suits of Mk whatever armor. There's already a rare Mark of armor in the game was it IV or V?, so adding them as a possible Ancient Ruins outcome should be as easy as adding a line to the relevant event file.

Okay I found the source code and this actually takes quite a bit more effort than adding a line. Apologies for just greedily asking for shit. I'm trying to figure out how this works rn.

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
  • 91st Special Action Regiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: November 20, 2015, 05:58:05 pm »

Okay I found the source code and this actually takes quite a bit more effort than adding a line. Apologies for just greedily asking for shit. I'm trying to figure out how this works rn.

yeah no offense against anyone here but looking through the source code it is an immense amount, adding one feature is a case of looking through multiple files to find the right codes and then crafting your own code into them or deleting and starting anew. this is a huge piece of work for anyone, and again, no offense to anyone on here I'm just saying, to mod the game into a heresy or crusade format could take months/a year. I myself only have a maximum of a few hours a week to look at this and I do what I can, but I am limited to unimportant things like sprites as I simply don't understand enough about coding.

Not that I'm saying this cannot be done, of course, but without a dedicated team that is split into working sections this will take much longer than people think. What Duke did was incredible in such a short space in time, but there are not many who have the same dedication.

Hope I didn't put a downer on things guys, I really do support all the great ideas your thinking up! Hopefully we can make this a reality at some point!
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: November 20, 2015, 06:58:33 pm »

Okay, so due to some testing for the upcoming Heresy, I accidentally found a way to add new armours into the game, which means you can have lots of different variants of the same armour class. It will require a lot of scripting and time to work out the rough edges, but I'm pleasantly surprised with this little accident.
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

Bacon_commando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: November 20, 2015, 07:13:58 pm »

Okay, so due to some testing for the upcoming Heresy, I accidentally found a way to add new armours into the game, which means you can have lots of different variants of the same armour class. It will require a lot of scripting and time to work out the rough edges, but I'm pleasantly surprised with this little accident.

Excellent news, Brother!

We shall drown the enemy in Power Armor variations!

phoden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: November 20, 2015, 08:31:13 pm »

Are u working with the guys stabelizing the game?

Also I feel if any work is done to add features.
It should focus on this.

-Diplomacy for local star systeems currently the only ways to get extra tiths is to either do a govenour take over with serf *inquisition* or let orks on a world with a lot of pdf and land defense troops , but never let the planet fall and the orks lose for about 20 turns and you might get an extra 1 or 2 req a turn , but let's face it if you have so long to get 1 planet with a company your either already screwed or prety lucky

I feel either the events like feasts or the chapter master should be able to get better disposition or deals with planets.
This could already add so much to the game to build up your chapters support.

Something like this could solve so many problems I believe.

-the long costs to get even a single decent ship
-to get extra funds without gene-seed farming
-and make your chapter master more than that guy that never leaves the confort of your homeworld.
-or that a local garrison provides disposition boosts *protected by the angels of death*

It could be a great boon but always a risk

Also for some reason certain times all the worlds i meet start with 0 disp.

-Salavage or board ships permenantly or seize them.
The chance to salavage a destroyed strike cruiser or mayby even salvage some imperial navy ships because let's face it the imperial fleet in a game on averege loses more ships than you will have ever in 8 games.

or seize ships *giving bad rep with the govenour*

Or atleast get req from the wrecks.

Don't tell me that the ork fleet that invaded my homeworld and destroyed half my fleet that the countless wrecks don't hold a single thing of value.

I mean some swords cost 4 req that is the tith from a forgeworld in a month!!

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: November 21, 2015, 03:59:02 am »

Also I feel if any work is done to add features.
It should focus on this.

-Diplomacy for local star systeems currently the only ways to get extra tiths is to either do a govenour take over with serf *inquisition* or let orks on a world with a lot of pdf and land defense troops , but never let the planet fall and the orks lose for about 20 turns and you might get an extra 1 or 2 req a turn , but let's face it if you have so long to get 1 planet with a company your either already screwed or prety lucky

I feel either the events like feasts or the chapter master should be able to get better disposition or deals with planets.
This could already add so much to the game to build up your chapters support.

Something like this could solve so many problems I believe.

-the long costs to get even a single decent ship
-to get extra funds without gene-seed farming
-and make your chapter master more than that guy that never leaves the confort of your homeworld.
-or that a local garrison provides disposition boosts *protected by the angels of death*

It could be a great boon but always a risk

Also for some reason certain times all the worlds i meet start with 0 disp.

-Salavage or board ships permenantly or seize them.
The chance to salavage a destroyed strike cruiser or mayby even salvage some imperial navy ships because let's face it the imperial fleet in a game on averege loses more ships than you will have ever in 8 games.

or seize ships *giving bad rep with the govenour*

Or atleast get req from the wrecks.

Don't tell me that the ork fleet that invaded my homeworld and destroyed half my fleet that the countless wrecks don't hold a single thing of value.

I mean some swords cost 4 req that is the tith from a forgeworld in a month!

As i said in the before message,  i dont know how to do ANY of what you just said. I literally stumbled upon this by accident during coding the Heresy mod. Apart from fixes to the main game code, im only making a mod which is entirely optional.

But hopefully the guys who are mainly developing this now can take that on board?

soyweiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 21, 2015, 09:34:25 am »

But hopefully the guys who are mainly developing this now can take that on board?

Please just read back in the thread, I think a few pages ago they said they were working on it. It is quite a lot of work, an difficult, and it will be done when it is done.

Don't expect them to give an update every day they are still working on it. These projects are hard, annoying, and unpaid. (so normal jobs/studies need to still be performed).

I doubt they are really taking up feature requests right now. I do recall that the current people working on it said that if you encounter bugs, you should post them. (There were some requirements, perhaps saves? Error messages, I don't know. Look it up, and correct me please). If you want to help, that is the first priority I think.

Edit: been following this project with some interest. Keep up the good work (past and future people working on it).

phoden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: November 21, 2015, 01:41:48 pm »

Please just read back in the thread, I think a few pages ago they said they were working on it. It is quite a lot of work, an difficult, and it will be done when it is done.

Don't expect them to give an update every day they are still working on it. These projects are hard, annoying, and unpaid. (so normal jobs/studies need to still be performed).

I doubt they are really taking up feature requests right now. I do recall that the current people working on it said that if you encounter bugs, you should post them. (There were some requirements, perhaps saves? Error messages, I don't know. Look it up, and correct me please). If you want to help, that is the first priority I think.

Edit: been following this project with some interest. Keep up the good work (past and future people working on it).

I know its just the guy working on it is completly silent.
I don't know if they have a patreon or anything.

soyweiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: November 21, 2015, 03:07:47 pm »

I know its just the guy working on it is completly silent.
I don't know if they have a patreon or anything.

... There are two people working on it. And they reacted recently.

Using patreon just makes GW send lawyers at you. This has kinda been discussed before.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 288