Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799671 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #2535 on: October 28, 2015, 02:15:47 pm »

I was fortunate enough to pick it up the Professional version on a Humble Bundle recently, normally it's surprisingly expensive.  $149.99 apparently.  Hopefully, yeah, Duke has been using the base version.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: October 28, 2015, 02:19:12 pm »

I was fortunate enough to pick it up the Professional version on a Humble Bundle recently, normally it's surprisingly expensive.  $149.99 apparently.  Hopefully, yeah, Duke has been using the base version.

Eek!!! I thought it was still about 30! I guess they've changed the pricing model dramatically - if that's the case I would hope a lot more of the basic function stuff works in Gamemaker lite.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: October 28, 2015, 02:35:14 pm »

Yeah actually I'm pretty sure I bought Gamemaker proper several years ago.  Maybe you should see if your copy counts for Gamemaker Professional? 
I may have paid twice.  Though on the Humble Bundle it was a pittance.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
  • 91st Special Action Regiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: October 28, 2015, 03:45:49 pm »

Im pretty new to this game but does game maker have a free version i could use to help out where possible?

Also, ive just noticed my 3 recruits have all dissapeared and not become scouts... is a droppout rate that high normal?
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:44 pm »

Any way I can help out with this Journier? Admittedly I don't know very much about programming but I'm working on Chapter Master as a way to learn my own way. But since the code appears to be a big mess of what-the-%&$# I'm having trouble understanding much of it. I have fixed a couple of bugs on my own though (Tried working on the renegade crash bug but at this point I'm stumped). Basically I want to assist with bug fixing.

Since you're working on cleaning up the code I'm hoping that it'll make fixing bugs much less painful for me.

honestly just wait, there's gonna be a massive release coming up in a month or months that will get all the code into a proper debuggable state that is readable If you guys want start posting bug reports on a regular basis, where you were ( what screen) what you were clicking  etc. as detailed as possible.

That way when we get to a section we can refer back to your bug reports to see if there's any silly code. Which we have run through a chunk of it.

There will be a gitlab repository created in the next 2 months. thats the timeline we are aiming for , for you guys.

TLDR : Please give crash logs and where you were in the crash and what you were exactly doing. We need bug reports. good bug reports. please and thanks.

And possibly if you guys really want to help find or put your little butts out there to find decent pixel artists for the game to get away from the IP. Dark warlike images of Interstellar Army Simulator 2015.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:10:45 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: October 29, 2015, 12:47:28 am »

And possibly if you guys really want to help find or put your little butts out there to find decent pixel artists for the game to get away from the IP. Dark warlike images of Interstellar Army Simulator 2015.
Seems kind of pointless since there's no cash trail any more. Why get away from the IP at all?

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: October 29, 2015, 01:24:38 am »

Why not just release your cleaned up version now and the rest of us can help clean it up further? Seems kinda odd to wait 2 months while you have a lot of offers of free help that could speed it up or otehrwise simplify the process.

I'm happy to set up a repo myself for people to collaborate on, but it seems redundant if you've already done near a month's code cleaning and bug fixing already.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: October 29, 2015, 08:28:34 am »

Why not just release your cleaned up version now and the rest of us can help clean it up further? Seems kinda odd to wait 2 months while you have a lot of offers of free help that could speed it up or otehrwise simplify the process.

I'm happy to set up a repo myself for people to collaborate on, but it seems redundant if you've already done near a month's code cleaning and bug fixing already.

As was proven before Duke took over, sometimes too many cooks just doesn't make an actual workable meal without proper communication between the cooks.

Though it might work... but it's up to him, sometimes it just works.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:32:05 am by ZebioLizard2 »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: October 29, 2015, 08:53:43 am »

And want the game to get away from the IP.
Seems kind of pointless since there's no cash trail any more. Why get away from the IP at all?
Let's see.
He's trying to get away from the IP
He's refusing to crowd-source the coding.
It's pretty clear he plans to start the cashflow again.

Which, to me, seems reasonable. It's why I'd have picked it up, anyway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: October 29, 2015, 08:58:53 am »

Is that ok with Duke though?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: October 29, 2015, 09:17:31 am »

Bad news, the project has far too many items to open it with the free edition of GameMaker.  I hope a lot of other people picked up that Humble Bundle.  I couldn't find my information for the ancient copy of GameMaker I bought like 7 years ago, so it's possible that an old license like that is still valid.  I doubt it though, I think they sorta rebuilt and rebranded the product a while back.  Used to be a lot cheaper for one thing.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:29:14 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: October 29, 2015, 09:28:33 am »

Wow actually I was wrong I think?  It can be opened and edited with the STANDARD edition, which seems to be free... You just have to make an account.  That's different from the lite/free edition, which doesn't work.  The PROFESSIONAL edition, like from the bundle doesn't seem necessary.

As a reminder, here's Duke's farewell pastebin: http://pastebin.com/qT9rpU1b
And links to the source code:
Interstellar Army Simulator 2015: Source Code
https://www.mediafire.com/?pp6sppscl9vtuvk
 Chapter Master 0.6555: Source Code
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2b4am6fzher8sh9/CM_Backup_August_2015.zip
She/they

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: October 29, 2015, 10:08:49 am »

Geez, it's like the Lion vs the Wolves up in here.
And I'm not making a 40k reference.

Is that ok with Duke though?
* Tack shrugs
Duke was paid by the month. Is he entitled to royalties for his work?
Because I'd assume when he tossed up the pastebin scrapcode, he waived that particular right.

Which, funnily enough, means that the first person to throw it up on Greenlight may actually be the 'developer'. But also may be ubiquitously hated by the fatguys.

I wouldn't have expected drama from this, but somehow it smells like a shitstorm coming.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:10:54 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: October 29, 2015, 11:15:10 am »

Duke open-sourced it, but I don't think it's protected by any particular license like GPL.  So, while I am not a lawyer, I think people are free to make closed-source forks of the project, and profit from them.  If they want.  Maybe even Greenlight them, though they wouldn't gain exclusive rights to do so (except with their own modified version).  Heck, I don't think they could call it "Interstellar Army Simulator" because that's Duke's name.

I'm not too worried about any of that though, since such projects would be competing with the open source version.  And I think Journier has good intentions...  Even if they ask for donations, I don't see any reason to assume they plan to keep their code secret.  It's just not ready yet, that's totally valid.

People are getting antsy to contribute, is all (:
She/they

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: October 29, 2015, 11:58:03 am »

Duke original picked this up from a defunct game that was abandoned long ago.  Plus, it is based on an IP.  Pretty sure he can't really come back and say 'this is mine and you owe me'.  Plus, open sourcing it and words seem to imply it is out of his hands...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 288