Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798163 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1905 on: August 02, 2015, 11:42:24 am »

Anything's a chain-weapon if you're brave enough.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1906 on: August 02, 2015, 12:24:54 pm »

Anything's a chain-weapon if you're brave enough.
Chainpillow fight!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: August 02, 2015, 03:05:15 pm »

So, what does allying with Chaos provide currently?

Necroman21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: August 02, 2015, 03:08:23 pm »

About the crusade danger meter thing. Maybe it could instead be how many marines have gathered, since nobody wants to go crusading alone. A crusade of 5000 marines might still get completely destroyed, but its safer than one where you are going alone.

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: August 02, 2015, 03:55:03 pm »

So, what does allying with Chaos provide currently?

Well, in my current game, my chapter was declared renegade and I turned into heresy, as of now, my chapter master is 156% heretical and the rest of the chapter has about ~70% of corruption.

So far, no bonuses and such, but Imperial fleets are not chasing even after I attacked several worlds, destroyed various fleets and killed some sisters of battles.

Unless, I'm missing whatever turning to chaos provides.

Though a few things mentioning it would be fine, like what you are expected to fight like Orks. Of course that doesn't mean that you will fight only Orks, likely because you discover that the local Dark Eldar have been prodding the Orks to fight the Imperials so that they can steal slaves in mass, but then get discovered by a Slaaneshi Warband who would love to offer up some Souls to Slaanesh..

You know, the state of life in 40k.

Any other state of life is considered major heresy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:56:41 pm by Azazass »

IgnusPoppingtonIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: August 02, 2015, 05:18:50 pm »

You missed my point. I'm not talking about how it is in the game; rather I'm talking about how it should be. Reading some random wikis should not be a requirement for playing the game.

The crusades should have some indicator of the expected lethality and give you feedback on what happens and why afterwards. So, you know, if your guys get slaughtered because of some idiot throwing them into a grinder, you'd actually learn about it. You could even use it to change relationships between factions dynamically. Maybe give you even dialogue-like choices on dropping the crusade. That would be a pretty atmospheric way to go renegade, just going "fuck you all" to Imperial high command when they try to get your chapter slaughtered by sending you to assault a hive fleet alone or something.

Right now crusades are just a way to get geneseed, pretty much, while they could and should be more.

The problem with this is this is a game based around a very silly well established setting. It would go directly against that lore (Which would then go against dukes MO for making this game) and that crusades are supposed to be bloody and not just for the enemies of man. Chapters lose a LOT of marines during this, some times even whole companys. Chapters that usually go with all their men don't usually come back. It's a serious venture, and I think duke portrays that perfectly the way it is.

EDIT:Again, if anyone has a alternate dl link, that would be appreciated
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:20:33 pm by IgnusPoppingtonIV »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: August 02, 2015, 05:58:09 pm »

It might be nice though to do more with them than just sending some marines to die or get an xp boost. Like, if you at least knew about, say, their glorious last stand against the unending forces of chaos, that'd give more meaning to it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: August 02, 2015, 06:22:59 pm »

It might be nice though to do more with them than just sending some marines to die or get an xp boost. Like, if you at least knew about, say, their glorious last stand against the unending forces of chaos, that'd give more meaning to it.

Agreed. I'm all for the grim horrors of the crusades, but it does feel a bit like just lobbing men into a grinder for no real benefit other than a possible xp boost. Perhaps you could get a chance at an artifact for your sacrifice?
Perhaps recruitment could rise in some fashion due to your heroic deeds reaching through the galaxy? I'm not sure what, but something to make it a bit more interesting would be good.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Blocky858

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: August 02, 2015, 07:18:35 pm »

still keeps doing it
Sounds like a hardware or driver problem.  Try editing "saves.ini" and changing the fullscreen=1 to fullscreen =0.  Failing that, there's a pretty good chance it's not something we can fix.

Also new patch is out.

I posted a picture of what my saves.ini looks like, I don't have a fullscreen = option.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:53 am »

In the old times you would usually get a couple of artifacts from crusades; I don't know if that still happens. I just tried once at the current version and didn't get anything but casualties, heh.

While accurate intelligence on crusades would, yes, be against the fluff, it would be nice to have at least some idea. Like a report on how orks have taken over sector X and leader-of-crusade calls for brave heroes to do Y, while force XYZ have declared to join. The orks, on the other hand, are led by X and -short description of their forces-. The situation might be completely different as expected, but sometimes would actually be unexpected by being exactly as expected. Insane sacrifices should, naturally, bring you extra glory. Some interactions in what happens in crusades, especially if you send your chapter master, would be nice.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: August 03, 2015, 01:21:30 am »

You missed my point. I'm not talking about how it is in the game; rather I'm talking about how it should be. Reading some random wikis should not be a requirement for playing the game.

The crusades should have some indicator of the expected lethality and give you feedback on what happens and why afterwards. So, you know, if your guys get slaughtered because of some idiot throwing them into a grinder, you'd actually learn about it. You could even use it to change relationships between factions dynamically. Maybe give you even dialogue-like choices on dropping the crusade. That would be a pretty atmospheric way to go renegade, just going "fuck you all" to Imperial high command when they try to get your chapter slaughtered by sending you to assault a hive fleet alone or something.

Right now crusades are just a way to get geneseed, pretty much, while they could and should be more.

The problem with this is this is a game based around a very silly well established setting. It would go directly against that lore (Which would then go against dukes MO for making this game) and that crusades are supposed to be bloody and not just for the enemies of man. Chapters lose a LOT of marines during this, some times even whole companys. Chapters that usually go with all their men don't usually come back. It's a serious venture, and I think duke portrays that perfectly the way it is.
I think you missed his point again. It would definitely be good if the crusade told you something about what's going to happen and if it's going to be an especially bad one, that would be good to know. And the danger could well be moderated by number of marines present, which could be based on, in addition to the marines you send, the ones sent by other major chapters determined by some global background stats. It could also decrease some global background stats regarding the power of xeno factions and thereby reducing their incidence in your own sector, though a more general "state of the galaxy" thing seems like a large topic in its own right.

And a set of events dealing with what happens on the crusade would enrich things a lot too.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: August 03, 2015, 05:10:15 am »

Yeah a few choices within a crusade would be great in giving the player a bit more control over losses without breaking the fluff.
Do you want to investigate the scary xeno cave Y/N?

However, I think that unreliable information on crusades is probably just going to annoy the player. It's definitely against the fluff to give the player a lot of accurate information, but stuff that is purposefully misleading will just end up being reported as bugs.

I'd suggest better rewards and a few choices mid-crusade on how much more risk (for reward) you want to commit too.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1917 on: August 03, 2015, 05:17:26 am »

We should be able to make decisions only if we drag Chapter Master on the Crusade, or maybe have an advantage that allows Captains to do that, just like Spess Combat.
If you don't have it, decisions would be made randomly and you would only get to know what happened after.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: August 03, 2015, 05:27:33 am »

You could use chapter advantages/disadvantages as guidance on what happens on Crusades you are not commanding yourself. Rip n' tear chapter (melee enthusiasm) always choose to charge the enemy, scavengers always choose to loot the chaos temple etc.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: August 03, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

You could use chapter advantages/disadvantages as guidance on what happens on Crusades you are not commanding yourself. Rip n' tear chapter (melee enthusiasm) always choose to charge the enemy, scavengers always choose to loot the chaos temple etc.
I believe I recall Duke mentioning in the past that the defensive trait reduces casualties. But it could probably go further.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 288