Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798411 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1620 on: May 28, 2015, 07:53:02 am »

Just show the game to more neckbeards and then give em the patreon link after a few days of obsessive gaming.  :P

In my opinion, Duke is gonna do what Duke wants.  Ain't nobody else stepping up.  (But I guess he may have some obligations now, cause patreon.)

Puzzlemaker is gonna do what Puzzlemaker wants in the end.  Don't have any obligations to anyone at all.  (Duke has an email for stuff related to Chapter Master I think. At the least, he takes game related bug reports.  Probably more likely to get a response there.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:02:39 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: May 28, 2015, 08:32:48 am »

Just show the game to more neckbeards and then give em the patreon link after a few days of obsessive gaming.  :P

In my opinion, Duke is gonna do what Duke wants.  Ain't nobody else stepping up.  (But I guess he may have some obligations now, cause patreon.)

Puzzlemaker is gonna do what Puzzlemaker wants in the end.  Don't have any obligations to anyone at all.  (Duke has an email for stuff related to Chapter Master I think. At the least, he takes game related bug reports.  Probably more likely to get a response there.)

Yeah, I didn't mean to create any drama... I just wanted to play with Unity and felt inspired.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 28, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »

The work for porting it would be huge. I've been involved in really minor porting projects in the past and it takes a hell of a lot of work - more so than just starting from scratch.
Whilst I would definitely like Duke to continue, there's only so much one person can do, and having a few other developers on side could help advance things in a way that he likes.

In a few weeks I might even volunteer to pitch in as my GML skills aren't bad and I've got a break coming up. It'd be interesting to see how many people would volunteer to help and see if Duke could come up with a solid to-do list. I'm sure many people would be happy to contribute.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 28, 2015, 01:53:08 pm »

Guys.

You're junking up the thread for a legitimately playable game with discussion for one that is not.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: May 28, 2015, 01:58:35 pm »

Guys.

You're junking up the thread for a legitimately playable game with discussion for one that is not.

Edit:  Lets wait till I have an EXE to continue this discussion, I don't want to clutter this thread.

Yes please.  I shouldn't have posted anything, in hindsight.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 28, 2015, 06:06:12 pm »

Guys.

Edit:  Lets wait till I have an EXE to continue this discussion, I don't want to clutter this thread.
Yes please.  I shouldn't have posted anything, in hindsight.
That's not 100% correct. You're on the right forum, just not the right thread. Please do keep us informed.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

overlordjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 29, 2015, 03:40:47 am »

Back to Chapter Master discussion,

I just found out about this game as I stopped going on /tg/ fucking forever ago... anyway, what are peoples opinions on Attacks/Raids/Bombards being limited to a whole fleet?

If I have 6 ships that are capable of A/R/B and 2 planets, I would like to be able to bombard one with 3 ships and raid the other with the other 3. It seems a waste to have to use all 6 companies on one planet if I want to get the most out of my ships.

I understand it makes us more inclined to split our fleets, but it also makes us commit our entire force to every battle or they are being wasted. This leads on to a common complaint I see, the game is too easy and people aren't getting any new Gene-Seed as their marines aren't dying. Not saying this would lessen that (People can still choose to commit a larger than necessary force) but the optimal play style is really winning a battle with mininal, but not zero, losses.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 29, 2015, 03:48:30 am »

I always assumed that was a not-yet-finished feature.

Your example with multiple planets is a good one, but more than that I would like the actions to be used on a per-ship basis.  Thus one ship might bombard a world and another ship might raid it in the same turn.  Combined arms tactics, and all that.

Perhaps ships that have acted become unselectable afterwards?

overlordjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 29, 2015, 05:38:34 am »

I always assumed that was a not-yet-finished feature.

Your example with multiple planets is a good one, but more than that I would like the actions to be used on a per-ship basis.  Thus one ship might bombard a world and another ship might raid it in the same turn.  Combined arms tactics, and all that.

Perhaps ships that have acted become unselectable afterwards?

I quite like the way you can't A/R a planet that is being bombarded. I feel that strat would be too powerful (Again, one of the main complaints I see is the game is too easy).

But yes, an Actions per turn being a ship thing as opposed to a fleet thing would be better.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 29, 2015, 06:34:31 am »

except that turns are not hours or even days.  Each turn is a full month, and marines should be able to insert into the hot glowing craters as soon as the macrobatteries stop firing. 

Heck, I expect default behavior for a Raid to be inserting WHILE the macrobatteries are firing, under cover of the guns.

If they have to wait a month for the planetary crust to resolidify enough to support an invasion, then bombardment casualties are too low.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 29, 2015, 06:39:17 am »

Perhaps it's not a month-long wait, so much as month-long bombardment.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

overlordjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 29, 2015, 06:50:01 am »

I was thinking month long bombardment, which while not super lore-friendly, there has to be a balance between gameplay and lore.

What if a ship could only bombard once per turn, but if you did bombard, you can only A/R that planet once? The problem with is this is quickly becoming quite complex on Dukes behalf...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 29, 2015, 06:52:14 am »

Fair enough, but then you're still back to your issue of wanting to interact with multiple planets in the same system on the same turn.

overlordjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 29, 2015, 08:51:57 am »

Fair enough, but then you're still back to your issue of wanting to interact with multiple planets in the same system on the same turn.

Not necessarily, you could bombard one with 3 ships, raid the other twice with your other ships. Or raid both planets twice with 3 ships each.

My problem with bombard>A/R is that there is essentially no reason to ever not do it. Unlike A/R, you have no idea beforehand on how successful your bombard will be, so you might aswell always do it before attacking (So long as there isn't too much Imperial presence, but that is already something to take into consideration).

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:02 am »

Not necessarily

Odd, I thought I was agreeing with you.  I guess I retract your original suggestion for you, then?
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 288