Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798700 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1485 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59:33 am »

That is when you nuke them from the orbit. Collateral damage schmadage.
You are no true Son of the Emperor. That Forge World must be retaken no matter the cost in lives. Its factories are too important to the Imperium to be lost to Exterminatus.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 11, 2015, 10:37:09 am »

Does bombardment cause structural damage, or just damage to the population?

Man, this game would be awesome if it was moved to something like the unity engine.  Hmm.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 11, 2015, 02:53:39 pm »

Does bombardment cause structural damage, or just damage to the population?

Man, this game would be awesome if it was moved to something like the unity engine.  Hmm.

Only damage to population. Also it does not lower disposition unless you use bombardment function in PURGE option selection. Then you get lord general/ magos yell at you OH GOD THATHS IMPERIAL WORLD WHAT ARE YOU DOING/ MUH MACHINES!

Seems, that next update is going to be major: duke has shown screen of space combat with boarding implemented/ told about tzeentche champion being 75 % ready and mentioned champion being way to go heretic/ had shown screen with star destroyer/ terminus est/ all the other chaos ships. May be abaddon and Typhus are part of update.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 11, 2015, 03:23:46 pm »

I want to play this really badly, but it instantly crashes at start, only playing (what I assume is) the main menu music to taunt me. I fiddled around with windows locale and all the other stuff that occasionally helps, but to no avail. I'll guess it's my laptop's graphics chip (some shitty on-board whatever) although it never really troubled me and my soft spot for oldschool and low-graphic games.

And so I merely post to watch.

frankensteins poster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 11, 2015, 04:06:50 pm »

I'm getting a bug. The spot where the Chapter color selector should go is just a green rectangle with the message "color swap shader did not compile" next to it. Whenever I go to one of the company management screens and mouse over one of the marines the same green rectangle and message pops up where presumably the guy's portrait should be, and the game slows to unplayability. I like what I've seen so far a lot, but I can't promote / reequip / unload etc. unless I'm basically willing to spend 15 minutes per guy doing it. Is there a workaround for this?

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and a Intel® Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 graphics card, driver update did nothing.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 11, 2015, 05:56:25 pm »

I'm not able to play as most of the chapters offered as a selection. Is this intended? 
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 11, 2015, 09:36:37 pm »

I want to play this really badly, but it instantly crashes at start, only playing (what I assume is) the main menu music to taunt me. I fiddled around with windows locale and all the other stuff that occasionally helps, but to no avail. I'll guess it's my laptop's graphics chip (some shitty on-board whatever) although it never really troubled me and my soft spot for oldschool and low-graphic games.

And so I merely post to watch.
It probably has something to do with onboard graphics chips indeed.
Having the same problem with this game, although used to be able to run it perfectly before the UI overhaul.

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 12, 2015, 12:09:55 am »

I'm not able to play as most of the chapters offered as a selection. Is this intended?
Yes.  Not all of them have been added yet.

It probably has something to do with onboard graphics chips indeed.
That is almost certainly correct.

As far as differences between Raid and Attack goes, Raid is deep striking into the weakest / most vulnerable / only HQ portion of the enemy army, in order to maximize damage dealt.  Attacking is much the same, but involves landing and forming a proper formation first (probably with vehicles), which means you have more enemies to drive through.  I hope that makes sense.  That's how I've justified it, at the very least.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 12, 2015, 12:42:18 am »

As far as differences between Raid and Attack goes, Raid is deep striking into the weakest / most vulnerable / only HQ portion of the enemy army, in order to maximize damage dealt.  Attacking is much the same, but involves landing and forming a proper formation first (probably with vehicles), which means you have more enemies to drive through.  I hope that makes sense.  That's how I've justified it, at the very least.

Any fluff reasoning aside, from a gameplay standpoint it makes the attack option worthless. I would heavily recommend making assault reduce enemy strength by 2, because you are fighting a large army, and raid by 1. That gives the player some risk vs reward options, and an actual reason to use vehicles.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 12, 2015, 01:35:21 am »

I agree - the fact you can raid twice per turn for double damage (4 vs 1) means that there is never a reason NOT to raid, unless you're running a penitent chapter and have an enemy at just the right strength that you can leave a company behind to endlessly slaughter them by attacking (reduces by 1, negated by the enemy generally increasing in strength by 1 at the end of the turn) as a way to run up your penance score.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:34 am »

This game would be awesome if it had some sprite based graphics for combat.

If only...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 12, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »

I agree - the fact you can raid twice per turn for double damage (4 vs 1) means that there is never a reason NOT to raid, unless you're running a penitent chapter and have an enemy at just the right strength that you can leave a company behind to endlessly slaughter them by attacking (reduces by 1, negated by the enemy generally increasing in strength by 1 at the end of the turn) as a way to run up your penance score.

You can attack twice a turn as well IIRC, so it's 4 vs 2.  Raiding is still obviously the best choice, and I agree, it should be switched so raiding reduces the forces by 1 while attacking reduces by 2.  Plus, landing and attacking should be merged, no reason to have them separated.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 12, 2015, 01:15:33 pm »

Raiding is fine until the enemy has weapons that will shred your marines. You want to use attack so you deploy vehicles, and those eat up more hits before your infantry does.

I've raided into an Extreme Ork presence and almost been cut down the first attack because of it.

So I basically I raid to deal with anything Enemy Troop Strength 4, attack for anything more. And either way, with those numbers, you're taking casualties.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 12, 2015, 02:00:41 pm »

Raiding Tyranids is risky too because of Genestealers.

This game would be awesome if it had some sprite based graphics for combat.

If only...

Spoiler: Like this? (click to show/hide)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 12, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »

Raiding is fine until the enemy has weapons that will shred your marines. You want to use attack so you deploy vehicles, and those eat up more hits before your infantry does.

I've raided into an Extreme Ork presence and almost been cut down the first attack because of it.

So I basically I raid to deal with anything Enemy Troop Strength 4, attack for anything more. And either way, with those numbers, you're taking casualties.

This brings up a good point, though... currently Raiding lets you face less enemies, but it also lets you bring fewer allies.  It also starts you closer to the enemy, but depending on who you are facing that can be good or bad, so lets ignore that factor.

However, if you min/max your chapter with melee fighting and ambush, with the right equipment, you can routinly destroy extreme presence's with a raid, easily.  Plus vehicles are expensive.  So I think that the ability to face less enemies and do more damage is a little unbalanced.

Ideally, in my mind, the system choices should be reorganized as thus (And I only keep making suggestions because I love this game):

Land: Lands your troops on the planet.  This is just a shortcut to manually unloading all your marines from the other view.  Landed marines can be ordered to Attack or Defend.
Raid: Launches a raid against the enemy.  You face less enemies, but have less impact on their forces.  You start closer to the enemy as well.  Also, there needs to be a perk that lets you bring vehicles on raids (Bike raid!)
Bombard:  Bombard ze enemy.  You should be able to choose from precision strikes and carpet bombing.  Precision strikes does far less damage but also does less damage to the local population.  Requires marines to be landed on the planet to act as scouts.
Purge:  Purge guys.
Build: Build options, like building more defenses instead of the weird button randomly underneath the defense.  There are also evidently options to build on a dead world (Never got around to trying that).

Those options should always be visible, maybe only Greyed out if you arn't able to do some of them, because I think it's confusing otherwise.

Man, how hard would it be to port it over to a better engine, like Unity or something?  Or would it just not be worth it?  I feel like the game is going to rapidly become too complicated for the current engine (Game maker, right?)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:18:39 pm by Puzzlemaker »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 288