Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798387 times)

halosammy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #855 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:46 pm »

Technically illegal, but you could start accepting donations, and stop accepting them if (when) GW comes down on you. Probably won't work the way I described it, but I'm sure some variation on it could make life easier for you.

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 22, 2015, 12:23:56 am »

Well, what ever you decide Duke, I think I speak for all of us when I say: great fucking job dude.
It's funner than it should be to work on.  You are all welcome.

Technically illegal, but you could start accepting donations, and stop accepting them if (when) GW comes down on you. Probably won't work the way I described it, but I'm sure some variation on it could make life easier for you.
So I've realized, especially since no one else has taken the reigns.  There's nothing illegal about throwing money at me for my other projects, like ChromeStrike.  https://www.patreon.com/vidya

Also the new patch is out.  I programmed some error messages for trading, so if and when you see any of you see them, I'd like to know the results and parameters.  That would be a big help.

Major Changes:
The Attack/Drop selection script has been rewritten.  You may now Attack with vehicles directly from ships, as was intended.
Eldar Fleets and Craftworlds have been fixed; you may now fully interact with them.
You may now construct up to one Building on each empty Dead planet.  The current options are Lairs, Arsenals, and Gene-Vaults.

Other Changes:
Fixed a rare crash with exclamation mark Alerts.
You can no longer scroll the window around in ground combat.
Fixed the crashing upon finishing a space battle.
Resource popups no longer appear while zoomed out.
You can no longer click through Star/Planet selection and accidentally select a new planet or fleet.
The Inquisition has been given new flags for tracking of past offenses.

Other:
The trade crash appears finicky.  If you get an 'error dialogue' from a faction leader, after trading, mention if it is error #1 or error #2.

halosammy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 22, 2015, 12:45:22 am »

The vague wording on the Patreon page is hilarious! I would link drop that in the game itself if I were you.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 22, 2015, 02:52:22 am »

So only monthly contributions, can't just dump MILLION BILLION Zimbabwean DOLLARS in one drop as I'd like to?

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 22, 2015, 03:11:16 am »

The vague wording on the Patreon page is hilarious! I would link drop that in the game itself if I were you.
I'd prefer not to.

So only monthly contributions, can't just dump MILLION BILLION Zimbabwean DOLLARS in one drop as I'd like to?
You could always throw down 100 billion dollars divided by X months.  Were I simply selling a mostly-done product flat amounts would definitely make more sense, but this is more a case of 'will code for food gib monies'.  And it may not even take off.  We'll see.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 22, 2015, 05:28:08 am »

I'd prefer not to.

You could always throw down 100 billion dollars divided by X months.  Were I simply selling a mostly-done product flat amounts would definitely make more sense, but this is more a case of 'will code for food gib monies'.  And it may not even take off.  We'll see.

I (or you) could do a little announcement in the general 40k thread, if you'd like.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 22, 2015, 05:37:51 am »

I (or you) could do a little announcement in the general 40k thread, if you'd like.
Not sure if that sort of advertising is tolerated here.  More exposure is always better but I'd rather not irritate people in other threads.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 22, 2015, 08:15:24 am »

Have you considered just open sourcing it?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:33 am »

Wasn't the point to NOT let it fall in to the hands of /tg/ coders?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 22, 2015, 09:37:35 am »

Open sourcing helps when there's lots of people with the skill and desire to work on it. In this case, we don't have even a single coder with the drive and time to develop it. Finding one that did was the initial solution but it didn't really work. Since Duke still has the drive (but just not the time) throwing money at him to free that time up is the next possible solution.

Rather, not to let it fall into the hands of "/tg/ coders", which basically means the same thing as "nobody". If one or more coders were actually going to step up, be they from /tg/ or elsewhere, that would be a different story. But the game already spent years waiting for that to happen and Duke's the only one to deliver more than a proof of concept. Going back to the "waiting for years" stage would be very close to a worst case scenario.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:39:20 am by Cruxador »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 22, 2015, 10:39:38 am »

I may have to finally sign up to Patreon... For ChromeStrike.  >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 22, 2015, 11:26:11 am »

Hey, we've done a damn good job with Space Station 13 :P
Though that project has become increasingly distant from /tg/ over the years.  And there is a dedicated group of maintainers. 

Open-sourcing this would be good IMHO, but someone would still need to maintain the branch by choosing which submissions to accept.  And to be fair that's a time-consuming job which would distract from direct development, so it's a trade off.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 22, 2015, 11:33:47 am »

Hey, we've done a damn good job with Space Station 13 :P
Though that project has become increasingly distant from /tg/ over the years.  And there is a dedicated group of maintainers. 

Open-sourcing this would be good IMHO, but someone would still need to maintain the branch by choosing which submissions to accept.  And to be fair that's a time-consuming job which would distract from direct development, so it's a trade off.

Perhaps, but having played SS13 for a while, I brought it up because /tg/ has a reputation for... messy code, to say the least. Right? At least that's the impression i've gotten.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 22, 2015, 12:02:22 pm »

Early on, definitely.  For the past couple 2-3 years though it's been a bit far in the other direction, the maintainers checked for good coding practices and often demanded that barely-related issues be fixed rather than worked around.  It was frustrating but good for the code.  I've been inactive for almost half a year though, it might be more relaxed again now.

My point (beyond getting jokingly defensive :P) is that open-sourcing, while likely the best solution for this project, isn't magic...  One or more people would need to be in charge and spend a lot of time managing submissions.  If you think one person's spaghetti code is bad, wait till you add a dozen other people.  Most of whom want to add cool new features, not optimize or bugfix.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:56 pm »

Duke, what about externalizing the data file and having a generic sci fi theme as default?

That would allow easier monetization. Kickstarter is kind of devoid of mixed tactics 4x

Anyway I think lack of people stepping up is the gml requirements for development.

What would be required? Which version are we talking here?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 288