Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798318 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #630 on: October 01, 2014, 12:35:53 pm »

Where do you find the changelogs?

Good question.  Not on the wiki, faq, or in the zip, which are all the places you would think they would be.  As far as I can tell, the current developer does not maintain an official site or blog, the ones linked on the 4chan wiki seem to be for the old developer?

I'd imagine it is on a /tg/ thread -- but there isnt a single 'official' one as far as I can tell.  And I find that site to be a little too putrid to trawl through.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 01, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »

This version always crashes for me when I try to move with my fleet... I submitted report to Duke.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 01, 2014, 03:54:19 pm »

same...so yay for update... ::)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 01, 2014, 04:32:57 pm »

I'll trawl /tg/ so you don't have to. And Duke does have a blog, but he hasn't ever actually updated it with Chapter Master stuff. It's been quiet since April of this year. It's actually linked in the "Informatus" menu in the bottom right.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 01, 2014, 05:26:33 pm »

Hey, you *are* a gentleman!

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 01, 2014, 06:56:53 pm »

This error popped up when I landed my whole chapter on our recruiting world, which had reached high enough corruption that heretics appeared and turned it into a daemon world.

It was the highest possible number of enemies possible I think. I chose a defensive battle.
Daemon worlds are very bare-bones.  I still need to get around to finishing them.  Likely in this upcoming update.

This version always crashes for me when I try to move with my fleet... I submitted report to Duke.
I hotfixed this earlier today.  Should no longer happen.

Where do you find the changelogs?

Good question.  Not on the wiki, faq, or in the zip, which are all the places you would think they would be.  As far as I can tell, the current developer does not maintain an official site or blog, the ones linked on the 4chan wiki seem to be for the old developer?

I'd imagine it is on a /tg/ thread -- but there isnt a single 'official' one as far as I can tell.  And I find that site to be a little too putrid to trawl through.
I still need to clean up the 1d4chan page on Chapter Master.  As soon as that happens I'll start posting patch changes there.

I'll trawl /tg/ so you don't have to. And Duke does have a blog, but he hasn't ever actually updated it with Chapter Master stuff. It's been quiet since April of this year. It's actually linked in the "Informatus" menu in the bottom right.
This is intentional.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 01, 2014, 07:19:38 pm »

This is intentional.

Right, "Fly Low".  Lack of information is probably a good thing, in this case.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 01, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »

This is intentional.

Don't blame you. Geedubs isn't the most kind with their IP.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 02, 2014, 03:08:34 am »

This is intentional.

Don't blame you. Geedubs isn't the most kind with their IP.

Yeah, GW goes full cease and desist anytime somebody quotes too much from a Gamebook (Codex).  They especially draw the line at stats and equations.  That's why even comprehensive WH40K wikis like Lexicanum stay deliberately vague.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 02, 2014, 05:48:49 am »

Yeah, GW goes full cease and desist anytime somebody quotes too much from a Gamebook (Codex).  They especially draw the line at stats and equations.  That's why even comprehensive WH40K wikis like Lexicanum stay deliberately vague.

It's a real shame, as I imagine more people would actually get more into it if they could see how it works/they allowed more derivative works. I do feel more companies should treat freeware games using their IP as akin to fan-fiction rather than competition.

I imagine you won't have too much trouble, as they'd have a hell of a time chasing it down. If they come after you hard you can always just release anonymously/on torrent sites - if the code's open source they couldn't prove that it was you who was kept releasing it. 98% of all these copyright things are usually because the lawyers HAVE to make a copyright case (as by not defending it now, they set a precedent for later when they need to) if you're not charging anything for it and it stays moderately low key (Bay12,/tg/, whatever) I can't imagine they'd actually waste money trying get you.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 02, 2014, 08:57:55 am »

if the code's open source they couldn't prove that it was you who was kept releasing it.
Open source code has maintainers, who can sent CnD notices.
98% of all these copyright things are usually because the lawyers HAVE to make a copyright case (as by not defending it now, they set a precedent for later when they need to) if you're not charging anything for it and it stays moderately low key (Bay12,/tg/, whatever) I can't imagine they'd actually waste money trying get you.
Well, no, they don't have to. They can set up rules where you can use their stuff if (for expample) it's free and you wrote them an e-mail "asking" to do it. (That's what LucasFilm did.) It just ends up being cheaper to pursue copyright agressively, then to enforce rules. Shame that.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 02, 2014, 10:58:11 am »

if the code's open source they couldn't prove that it was you who was kept releasing it.
Open source code has maintainers, who can sent CnD notices.
It doesn't have to have - if Duke released the source code, he could keep releasing versions on a torrent site and claim ignorance that he doesn't know who's releasing it as it's open source (not that I'm condoning breaking the law or anything).

98% of all these copyright things are usually because the lawyers HAVE to make a copyright case (as by not defending it now, they set a precedent for later when they need to) if you're not charging anything for it and it stays moderately low key (Bay12,/tg/, whatever) I can't imagine they'd actually waste money trying get you.
Well, no, they don't have to. They can set up rules where you can use their stuff if (for expample) it's free and you wrote them an e-mail "asking" to do it. (That's what LucasFilm did.) It just ends up being cheaper to pursue copyright agressively, then to enforce rules. Shame that.
It's CERTAINLY not cheaper to pursue copyright aggressively, the thing is that they need to do it to protect their copyright as otherwise if someone does properly rip them off later, they'll have a harder time winning in court later, as they didn't bother to uphold their copyright last time (see the whole 'Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion' case for more on that). As in the SoaSE case, the 'rebellion' holders just made a complaint even though they knew it had no chance of winning. Just like the Candy Crush Saga thing did the same. It doesn't make much sense, but unfortunately that's the way it is.

Fair use and all that is fine, but there's a difference between that and actively ripping off all their assets. Someone could easily think that CM is a GW official game, and even with notices and things, it'd still be far too similar.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 02, 2014, 02:03:47 pm »

that they need to do it to protect their copyright as otherwise if someone does properly rip them off later, they'll have a harder time winning in court later, as they didn't bother to uphold their copyright last time (see the whole 'Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion' case for more on that). As in the SoaSE case, the 'rebellion' holders just made a complaint even though they knew it had no chance of winning.
The SoaSER proves nothing because
a) it's about trademark collision (and we're talking deliberate use of IP- Duke's game isn't about the Lord of Book Sections, it's about space marines from the WH40k universe)
b)ut more importantly Rebellion did exactly what you said (always aggressively protected the trademark), spent way more money on lawyers then Ironclad did (or so Ironclad claims in their Wounded Gazelle press release), and yet they still lost when the case went to trial.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 02, 2014, 11:23:30 pm »

When things start getting more fleshed out and bugs ironed, will we be eventually able to have our chapters turn towards the dark gods?

Or general more "bad" traits that could cause your chapter to be looked at in a harsher light, for some reason the current set is still not enough for me to play with, I want to make cursed chapters whose mutations are both a blight and a joy.  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:28:57 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 02, 2014, 11:46:09 pm »

edit: removed because reasons.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:43:37 am by puke »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 288