Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798384 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #585 on: September 11, 2014, 09:38:01 am »

Spoiler: well of course (click to show/hide)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 11, 2014, 10:13:26 am »

Ideally I feel like this data should be visible to the player in game, but I am sure you are working on that.

Are we allowed to comment on the code?  Since you are doing it for free and such.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 11, 2014, 10:49:59 am »

Ideally I feel like this data should be visible to the player in game
Well it actually can't be (it can be copied over, which isn't the same thing, since changes are not automatically propagated) because there's no good way to access it. Which brings me to my main point: for the love of Knuth, Duke please use arrays and loops (or better yet, dictionaries and structures) that code must be nightmare to debug.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 11, 2014, 11:14:49 am »

Ideally I feel like this data should be visible to the player in game
Well it actually can't be (it can be copied over, which isn't the same thing, since changes are not automatically propagated) because there's no good way to access it. Which brings me to my main point: for the love of Knuth, Duke please use arrays and loops (or better yet, dictionaries and structures) that code must be nightmare to debug.
Thanks for breaking the ice, because reading the code was making me reaaallly twitchy. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:20:12 am by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 11, 2014, 11:29:34 am »

... better one person coding ostensibly poorly and getting something done than a dozen talking about improvement and getting nothing done >_>

Also called: Possibly one of the reasons the code hasn't been open sourced. I'd personally prefer any commentary on coding practices to be withheld unless specifically asked for by Duke. Even with the best of intentions behind it, getting harangued about your code without it being invited is something of a pain in the ass. Let us not annoy the person getting shit done, yeah?

Incidentally, since this is the first time I've posted since the dev showed up, cheers, dev. Looking forward to the UI update. Refraining from suggestions until that comes about, heh, but even with the UI being what it is I've definitely enjoyed what I've seen so far.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 11, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »

Spoiler: well of course (click to show/hide)

Your dual wielding is weak:

Back after the Rogue Trader RPG (the new 40krpg, not the Rick Priestley book) was released and all us nerds were wishing there were rules for playing Space Marines..  There was this one super-nerd guy who had all these old GW concept art images, and one was of a regular post-heresy marine in Mk7 armor with two assault cannons. 

I cant find those images any more for the life of me, I dont know where he got them from, maybe some art book.  He was super well versed and despite some fanaticism had some pretty smart things to say about what would make a good game.  I think all those forums were wiped out when the property was sold to FFG.

I think the mini above is supposed to be a pre-heresy thousand sun, but I'm not sure.  I cant tell if he is supposed to be piloting that thing, or if his limbs have been replaced and he is wearing it.

Anyway, based on the data dump, it looks like I should be able to make some 2x assault cannon termies.  Which is good, because I already did.  I just wasnt sure if they were working properly.

Now we just need cyclone launchers to top it off.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 11, 2014, 12:36:48 pm »

Your dual wielding is weak:

I think the mini above is supposed to be a pre-heresy thousand sun, but I'm not sure.  I cant tell if he is supposed to be piloting that thing, or if his limbs have been replaced and he is wearing it.

That's a dred, so his arms (or what's left of them) are in the central sarcophagus.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 11, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »

http://pastebin.com/0vQPFPAU

This is sweet, thanks.

I was assuming that the advantage of swords (power, chain, etc) was that they did a bit less damage or penetration than fists and axes, but that they could parry. 

I dont see anything like this in the weapon stats, but maybe you have a close combat routine somewhere else that says "if sword then parry" or something like this? 

Or is there no parry benefit?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 11, 2014, 12:47:40 pm »

There are those "centurions" that GW introduced a year or so ago, i guess dual wielding heavy stuff is not a problem anymore :
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Centurion

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 11, 2014, 12:51:32 pm »

That's definitely a pre-heresy dreadnought. The superfluous gorget and design of the pelvis gives it away.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 11, 2014, 01:54:17 pm »

... better one person coding ostensibly poorly and getting something done than a dozen talking about improvement and getting nothing done >_>

Also called: Possibly one of the reasons the code hasn't been open sourced. I'd personally prefer any commentary on coding practices to be withheld unless specifically asked for by Duke. Even with the best of intentions behind it, getting harangued about your code without it being invited is something of a pain in the ass. Let us not annoy the person getting shit done, yeah?

Incidentally, since this is the first time I've posted since the dev showed up, cheers, dev. Looking forward to the UI update. Refraining from suggestions until that comes about, heh, but even with the UI being what it is I've definitely enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Yeah, I agree.  I wasn't going to say anything till a1s said something.  I am not trying to be mean or anything, and like you said one guy actually working is worth ten bickering in the bush.

I just have had to inherit code before... and it wasn't pretty.  Bad code has a way of multiplying.  It's easier to add more code in instead of re-doing everything that exists.  In this case, adding a new type of weapon.  It would be easier to just add another If statement and be done with it, but in the end that doesn't actually save time I don't think.  I have been caught in that trap before, where I step back and go, "What have I created!?" and hope nobody ever has to touch it again.

That being said, I am almost positive the dwarf fortress code is a horrible ungodly mess.  But it's great because Toady actually keeps working on it and improving it.

So, in short, keep it up Duke!  But maybe work on streamlining some of that because it would be easier in the long run!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 11, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »

Plus, well structured code entices people who have the skills but not necessarily the time to contribute something, because they don't have to struggle with the framework.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 11, 2014, 04:09:53 pm »

That's definitely a pre-heresy dreadnought. The superfluous gorget and design of the pelvis gives it away.

Ah, how things change...

I bet there are still people that show up to tourneys with beakies and the old style dreadnaughts.  I guess Imperial robots wouldn't still be legal since there are not rules for them in the current edition...

This shit was cool:  http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?193402-Legio-Cybernetica-Imperial-Robots-anyone

You had to give them pre-programed orders before the battle started, so things could get a little interesting when you tried to use them.

I guess I'm posting in the wrong thread for this kind of stuff.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 11, 2014, 04:28:08 pm »

Dude looks like he's wearing an adamantite diaper. :P

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 11, 2014, 05:56:41 pm »

Well yes. I don't say this enough: working spaghetti code is better than a perfect flowchart that no one gets to actually writing. I want to sincerely congratulate Duke on getting this far (I usually quit my pet projects within the month.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:06:58 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 288