Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798677 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #480 on: September 04, 2014, 08:07:46 am »

Funny enough, WH40K universe still has only a dozen non-European people. :p Perhaps the Emperor was literally a Nazi.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 04, 2014, 09:04:46 am »

Funny enough, WH40K universe still has only a dozen non-European people. :p Perhaps the Emperor was literally a Nazi.

Even though the emperor was born in turkey according to canon.

But yeah, everyone is white.  It's weird.

Edit:  Yeah the UI for this game makes it almost unplayable with the amount of clicking you have to do.  Also, how do you re-arrange the companies?  I want to move vehicles out of a company, but I can't figure out how.  I also want to change marines from tactical to assault, but I can't figure out how (It wont let me promote them?)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:40:32 am by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2014, 09:37:03 am »

Salamander chapter is near onyx black. But there's two explanation for this I think? One is gene seed mutation, other is radiation from their homeworld sun.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2014, 09:45:17 am »

At the origin of the creation of the space marines, weren't all the primarchs created from the emperor dna as basically some kind of clones, and then the original chapters were made of space marines created from those primarchs own dna ? as if it was some kind of starwar-esque army made of clones ?
So everyone looking mostly the same (not just skin color) shouldn't have been that weird.

But since then (as it was a very very long time ago), they're recruiting new space marines in all those  feral worlds apparently before bio-engineering them into spaceguys to fit into a chapter, so it should be the end of the clone stuff and nowadays there should be a very lot of diversity of appearance and skin colors in chapters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 04, 2014, 09:53:04 am »

Even though the emperor was born in turkey according to canon.
I guess they still celebrate traditional Thanksgiving in the 41st millenium.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 04, 2014, 10:16:55 am »

The turkeys are stuffed with spent bolter-shell casings.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 04, 2014, 10:20:40 am »

But since then (as it was a very very long time ago), they're recruiting new space marines in all those  feral worlds apparently before bio-engineering them into spaceguys to fit into a chapter, so it should be the end of the clone stuff and nowadays there should be a very lot of diversity of appearance and skin colors in chapters.
As far as I can tell, they are actively remaking a recruit's DNA as he is transformed into a space marine. What's the guard's excuse?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 04, 2014, 10:30:03 am »

I seem to recall that some geneseed mutation results in the Salamanders skin turning jet black?

Guardsmen are recruited from the planets of the Empire, so lets go with... White supremacy during the dark age of technology and colonization of the galaxy or the relative lack of diversity in GW Headquarters in Nottingham.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 04, 2014, 10:31:24 am »

Space Marines are implanted with the DNA of their Primarchs. The Primarch DNA is like, super human DNA. It overtakes and remolds the aspirant's genetics, changing their facial features and even their personalities to some extent, to reflect the Primarch. It's why all Blood Angles have aquiline features, why all the Sons of Dorn are hardasses, while all of the Sons of Russ are savage, why all the Salamanders have dark skin and red eyes. Small differences remain but generally Space Marines of a given Chapter look and act alike.

I seem to recall that some geneseed mutation results in the Salamanders skin turning jet black?

If it mutated, it mutated when Vulkan was shot out into space. Because he has jet black skin and red eyes, as do all the Legionnaries. (I'm reading the Horus Heresy novels atm, and that's how the entire Salamanders Legion is in those books.)

There are token admissions to other races rather than non-white in the fiction. It just doesn't show up in the art much.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:01:11 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 04, 2014, 11:00:41 am »

I think the White Scars chapter are Mongolian. Or rather, they retain the tribal markings that they gain from their recruitment homeworld.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 04, 2014, 11:02:11 am »

I think the White Scars chapter are Mongolian. Or rather, they retain the tribal markings that they gain from their recruitment homeworld.

Roughly Asiatic peoples, yeah. You get a nice big knife scar in your cheek when you're inducted into one of the Chogorian clans.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 04, 2014, 11:15:16 am »

I don't know how much "fluff" approved Abnett comics are as i'm not very aware of everything wh40k out of some wiki reading, but i remember reading his damnation crusade comic book serie (focusing  on one of the Black Templar guys at various stage of his life) years ago and i remember there were people of various skin colors and origins (as in not the same feral world apparently) in there.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 04, 2014, 11:27:37 am »

Black Templars are a little strange because they don't have a standard recruitment world, but instead use chapter keeps wherever they crusade.

"Since the Black Templars have no Chapter homeworld, all of their recruiting is done via their Chapter Keeps. Chapter Keeps are built on most worlds conquered by the Black Templars, and are used as staging ground for Crusade forces and recruitment posts for the Chapter. A Chapter Keep only recruits a few individuals a year."

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Templars

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 04, 2014, 11:54:15 am »

Black Templars are a little strange because they don't have a standard recruitment world, but instead use chapter keeps wherever they crusade.

"Since the Black Templars have no Chapter homeworld, all of their recruiting is done via their Chapter Keeps. Chapter Keeps are built on most worlds conquered by the Black Templars, and are used as staging ground for Crusade forces and recruitment posts for the Chapter. A Chapter Keep only recruits a few individuals a year."

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Templars

Wow, a few individuals a year? That's way more than I can recruit in Chapter Master. :-)
(I say that assuming a turn is a month, but I must admit, it's not really clear to me how long a turn is.)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 04, 2014, 12:03:26 pm »

Wow, a few individuals a year? That's way more than I can recruit in Chapter Master. :-)
(I say that assuming a turn is a month, but I must admit, it's not really clear to me how long a turn is.)
84/1000 of an imperial year. *beat* Which by pure chance coincides with 1 Earth month.
(there's a date below your faction's insignia)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 288