Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798747 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #450 on: September 03, 2014, 05:05:21 am »

I think when you buy them from the Mechanicus you can choose what company they are assigned to. If you want to use them you load them onto ships like marines, but they take up 10x the ship capacity of a tactical marine. Then, to use them go back onto the company screen where you load and unload troops and unload them on the planet you want to use them on. Then once all the troops and vehicles are unloaded from your fleet (it takes a while to click through everything) go the next turn and any enemies on the planet will attack your land army. If there are fortifications your troops will start behind them which seems to be a big help. Once the inquisition branded my chapter heretics and millions of imperial guard attacked me at once and the fortifications lasted several turns.

Some things I've noticed:

The ambush chapter trait seems to make a good bit of difference at the start of a combat so I've been taking it as a trait. I also choose bolter drills because there are many and various kinds of bolter in a chapter. It also makes vehicle mounted bolters better. The third choice is harder, I haven't taken slow and purposeful yet but I think my next chapter will be that. Crafters seems to start you off with more sets of corvid armor; maybe more terminators too but I didn't count either. Melee enthusiast could be useful as it might save you some casualties depending how strong it is.

I think in the first chapter I created I loaded force weapons onto Dreadnaughts and they used them, but the close combat weapons seemed to work better.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2014, 05:52:42 am »

I'd like if the game gained some depiction of ground battles. Nothing overly complicated but something like in "Master of Orion 2" where you have the two sides shooting away at each other would be a nice addition. Seeing the units you have depicted could also allow you to give certain squads unique colour schemes.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 03, 2014, 06:23:47 am »

Thhe system in ninja village ios works well and is low fi enough

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFbii17Gx0

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2014, 08:52:21 am »

Thhe system in ninja village ios works well and is low fi enough

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFbii17Gx0

Indeed, I've never seen that game before but that is pretty much what I was thinking of. The game already does the casualty calculations, the animations would draw on that for what dies and how many. There would be no tactics (though maybe you could specify "Aggressive" or "Defensive" before a battle) and it's not important to the battle calculations so you can skip it if you want.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 03, 2014, 09:23:07 am »

You can already specify aggressive or defensive, also there is an overall chapter formation mode. Unsure if it does anything.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 03, 2014, 10:22:59 am »

Adding animation will increase barrier to entry for adding/altering units. Right now a new unit is a single line of stats in a database, with the addition of graphics they would each need at least 3 different pictures (normal, attacking and [getting]hurt), if not a full range of animation each. I would rather see a focus on core features.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 03, 2014, 10:26:11 am »

In distant worlds, the way combat on a planet was shown would work.  It's abstracted away enough all you need is icons and gunfire.  Basically, zoom out enough and it wouldn't be too difficult to do.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 03, 2014, 10:33:20 am »

Yeah, if I were going to suggest a graphical interface, I'd probably suggest something like that one zombie outbreak java game. Basically, different colored/sized squares. Maybe some triangles or circles or whatev' if you were getting frisky. Alternately, very far zoomed supcom style -- just fairly abstract icons, maybe some dakkadots. As per puzzle's suggestion, basically.

Or ASCII :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 03, 2014, 10:44:43 am »

The UI for this kind of worries me actually. It doesn't seem to have a lot of places to go. I keep thinking of buttons or toggles that would make my life CRUSADE easier, and I don't see a lot of room on the screen for stuff to change. Particularly gear and equipment lists. The text is already a mess so I imagine cramming anything else in there isn't going to make it look any better.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:12:09 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 03, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »

The UI needs something of an overhaul.  There needs to be a way to easily tell what troops are on what ship and on what planet, and to move them between.  Similar is needed for equipment.

As it is, you need to drill into each company to find out where each marine or vehicle is.  You cant click on a planet and see who is on it.  You cant click on a ship and see who is on it.  You cant group or move by squads.

Equipping has similar issues.

Invading should be able to be done in mass, similar to raiding.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 03, 2014, 12:16:12 pm »

Maybe should remove the possibility to split a company, that would streamline management and remove the needs of that load of screen

Would work best by assigning ships to chapter instead of chapter to ships.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:17:46 pm by LoSboccacc »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 03, 2014, 01:18:27 pm »

The UI needs something of an overhaul.  There needs to be a way to easily tell what troops are on what ship and on what planet, and to move them between.  Similar is needed for equipment.

As it is, you need to drill into each company to find out where each marine or vehicle is.  You cant click on a planet and see who is on it.  You cant click on a ship and see who is on it.  You cant group or move by squads.

Equipping has similar issues.

Invading should be able to be done in mass, similar to raiding.

The Fleet Management Screen when it's working should address some of that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 03, 2014, 02:18:53 pm »

Duke has said that the whole UI is getting changed, pretty much.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 03, 2014, 02:38:05 pm »

as far as I am concerned, it is a little gem as it is :)

praise to the duke, the emperor will made manifest!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 03, 2014, 03:03:57 pm »

Distant worlds style ground attack visualisation would be brilliant for this. Even though it doesn't show very much of use, it adds a lot more tension to the whole thing. Eventually, it could be ramped up to include things like orders which could be given mid-battle, orbital strikes and so on.

I really, really can't wait for a UI overhaul.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 288