Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799103 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #270 on: August 27, 2014, 10:10:31 am »

Given how Slaanesh was 'born' from the dark acts of the Eldar, it leads me to wonder if that wasn't also the case for the other three as well, far in the distant past. There was some fluff floating around that if the Emperor ever dies, there's a good chance that a new Chaos God would be born from humanity the same way Slaanesh rose from the Eldar.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 27, 2014, 10:13:52 am »

Can you really consider Slaanesh a human-centric space god though? Yes, the other gods were created/born during some of the darkest times of humanity which sorta implies that all of the other alien races aren't as special/warp-favoured but whatever however Slaanesh was created by the Eldar partying way too much. And if I remember correctly he/she/it gets first dibs on their souls if they die. Which is why the Eldar use soulstones to keep their souls safe. And the Dark Eldar... Don't give a shit or something? I don't know, my WH40k lore is pretty rusty. But to me Slaanesh seems to be connected to the Eldar than to the Empire.

While the Eldar created Slaneesh, in truth, Chaos loves humanity more. It's humanity's existence that will lead to Chaos' ultimate victory, because as a species we feed all the Chaos Gods with our habits, prejudices and failings. And our inability to control ourselves is what will eventually fuel Chaos to the point where it will consume all of reality.

Put another way....Chaos is humanity's biggest fan.

(Shocked no one has yet made a gif of "I'm a fan of man!" from that movie.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:31:32 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 27, 2014, 10:18:44 am »

Slaneesh is the god of party hard.
We should really have a WH40k thread, btw.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 27, 2014, 10:23:05 am »

Slaneesh is the god of party hard.
We should really have a WH40k thread, btw.

There are several. One here, one in GD as well.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 27, 2014, 10:26:34 am »

Given how Slaanesh was 'born' from the dark acts of the Eldar, it leads me to wonder if that wasn't also the case for the other three as well, far in the distant past. There was some fluff floating around that if the Emperor ever dies, there's a good chance that a new Chaos God would be born from humanity the same way Slaanesh rose from the Eldar.

If I remember correctly, canonically the rest of the chaos gods were created by events in humanity's past. So Khorne was born/formed during the Mongolian invasions, Nurgle during the Black Death and Tzeentch during... Actually I have no idea how Tzeentch how formed. And some quick research shows that I was only half-correct, but whatever.

While the Eldar created Slaneesh, in truth, Chaos loves humanity more. It's humanities existence that will lead to Chaos' ultimate victory, because as a species we feed all the Chaos Gods with our habits, prejudices and failings. And our inability to control ourselves is what will eventually fuel Chaos to the point where it will consume all of reality.

Put another way....Chaos is humanity's biggest fan.)

Ah. That... makes a ton of sense, actually. Which is a bit weird coming from WH40k, but whatever. I'll take what I can get.

There are several. One here, one in GD as well.

Also the thread we are currently in probably counts too. Since Chapter Master is pretty full of lore.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 27, 2014, 10:36:12 am »

Tzeentch = Change. Thanks, Obama ::)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 27, 2014, 10:40:04 am »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2014, 11:11:07 am »

Tzeentch = Change. Thanks, Obama ::)
Tzeentch is the chaos god of hope. Change just happens to be a major component of that :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2014, 12:01:33 pm »

While many perceive these motivations as healthy, wholesome, and perhaps even necessary to mortal existence, Tzeentch, the Great Conspirator, works to corrupt the aspirations and ambitions of Mankind and xenos alike, and to leverage these hopes and dreams for his own nefarious ends.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2014, 12:11:30 pm »

According to wiki Every single life taken in anger increases the Blood God's power

Guess inquisition would like a couple words with the angry marines chapter.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »

Hope, change, wizardry, ambition... He has a broad portfolio.

Back to the game itself: after a few failed attempts to lead the Lamenters, I seem to have hit a sweet spot. I deployed my forces on a planet with a small Ork infestation. Every turn about 350 of them attack me, get killed, reducing their presence level, which goes back up a turn later. Then the cycle repeats.

For a penitent chapter, such a source of enemies is a blessing. Several of my Astartes already qualify for promotions to Terminators and such, but I don't have the gear and can't ask Mechanicus for it. Do I need better relations or what? I can't see any way to increase my disposition with them, but their fleet is headed my way...

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2014, 12:14:28 pm »

Hope, change, wizardry, ambition... He has a broad portfolio.

Back to the game itself: after a few failed attempts to lead the Lamenters, I seem to have hit a sweet spot. I deployed my forces on a planet with a small Ork infestation. Every turn about 350 of them attack me, get killed, reducing their presence level, which goes back up a turn later. Then the cycle repeats.

For a penitent chapter, such a source of enemies is a blessing. Several of my Astartes already qualify for promotions to Terminators and such, but I don't have the gear and can't ask Mechanicus for it. Do I need better relations or what? I can't see any way to increase my disposition with them, but their fleet is headed my way...

You need better relations. Just gift em a few artifacts.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2014, 12:21:12 pm »

I thought the three main Chaos Gods were formed in the War of the Ancients? Between Necrons and the Ancients?
._.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2014, 12:24:19 pm »

Well we've just established that Obama getting elected was the cataclysmic event that spawned one of them.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2014, 12:25:10 pm »

I wish I could lead a Chapter of the Sisters of Battle...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 288