Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798004 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3180 on: May 03, 2016, 09:08:49 pm »

Kind of makes you wonder though, if the Black Templars are now following the Codex Astartes, what was the reason that the Crimson Fists split off.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: May 03, 2016, 09:23:52 pm »

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_Fists

They split from Imperial Fists in the 2nd Founding, according to the precepts of the Codex Astartes, not from the Black Templars. That the BTs are now apparently following the Codex Astartes only flies in the face of Dorn and his Legion's initial resistance to being divided, and how that influenced the BTs up-until-now playing by their own set of rules and getting away with it. Not in the reason for the Crimson Fist's founding.

I suppose a rules lawyer at GWS might have asked "Wasn't the whole reason chapters were limited to 1000 in the Codex Astartes was so that no one organization could become big enough to threaten the entire Imperium? Doesn't that technically make the Black Templars a threat to the Imperium?"

Or maybe it's because 40k fiction is so much about small unit action nowadays that people naturally keep asking why there aren't shit tons of Black Templars in every engagement instead of a single squad like almost all other chapters. (I seem to recall in older Black Templar fiction they'd throw down company-strength deployments and wouldn't blink at it. For most chapters that kind of engagement is a BFD.) With the phrase often being trotted out that now "20/10/5/2 Space Marines could conquer this world" one might ask why the Black Templars aren't comparatively blanketing worlds in Space Marines.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:41:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: May 03, 2016, 09:37:25 pm »

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_Fists

They split from Imperial Fists in the 2nd Founding, according to the precepts of the Codex Astartes, not from the Black Templars. That the BTs are now apparently following the Codex Astartes only flies in the face of Dorn and his Legion's initial resistance to being divided, and how that influenced the BTs up-until-now playing by their own set of rules and getting away with it.
You're right, I got all kinds of mixed up. It flies in the face of the Black Templars being split from the Imperial fists.

I suppose a rules lawyer at GWS might have asked "Wasn't the whole reason chapters were limited to 1000 in the Codex Astartes was so that no one organization could become big enough to threaten the entire Imperium? Doesn't that technically make the Black Templars a threat to the Imperium?"
The answer is yes, but nobody pushes the point because they're very useful, and there's never more than a thousand of them who aren't written off as dead at any given time anyway, because of how they do their crusade paperwork.

With the phrase often being trotted out that now "20/10/5/2 Space Marines could conquer this world" one might ask why the Black Templars aren't comparatively blanketing worlds in Space Marines.
One Space Marine has done it, in some story or other. I don't remember which. That doesn't mean that it's a normal occurrence though, and obviously doesn't apply to worlds with tyranids or necrons or even large orks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: May 03, 2016, 09:40:39 pm »

Or Chaos.

Really, anything other than technologically superior or inferior human cultures :P Or a xenos race they stamped out so fast no one bothered to record their name.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: May 04, 2016, 05:11:55 am »

A threat to the imperium? If that's the reason thrn its really stupid.  First even if they were 10k it's only mere 10 chapters, in a sea of at least 1000th. Also all spread along the imperium... I wouldn't be suprised if there are two or three chapters with the same name at oposite sides of the imperium give the slow logistics and bureocratic retardation.
BT theme was of the "ever crusading" religious fanatics.

I said it before and say it again, GW needs to get their shit together, gather the best writers and revise the whole literature and codices, straight it and iron it out, and set clear rules and bases for all future writers. No more DCannons firing bullets  (fucking Goto). But that's also a febrile dream.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
  • 91st Special Action Regiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: May 07, 2016, 08:30:22 am »

How many players here have played past 100 odd turns on chapter master?

I find it very difficult to find stuff to do after a while as threats are cleared up.
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: May 07, 2016, 08:42:21 am »

Maybe more difficulty settings, so that on higher settings you have a cult uprising or ork WHAAAGH! or nid splinter fleet every other turn. Should keep even the most experienced players busy, and might force people to split up their forces more instead of going in 1 or 2 big blobs and killing everything easily. Really give that classic 'besieged from all sides, aliens and heretics everywhere' 40K vibe.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
  • 91st Special Action Regiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: May 07, 2016, 09:04:42 am »

I think if that was to be the case we would need more smaller incursions, as a company of space marines can only just deal with "heavy" incursions with casualities. If we were to face extreme level incursions regularly we would require "Blobbing" (There we go, a name for the strategy)

So several sparse or moderate attacks from cultist or orks every few turns, and maybe once a year a big event that hits several systems or one extreme event that cripples one system. Balances would need to be worked out ofc lol
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: May 07, 2016, 05:21:08 pm »

Best way is to make it so the more successful the sector is the more enemies it attracts.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: May 07, 2016, 06:31:06 pm »

Quote from: Puzzlemaker linkrks. =topic=142620.msg6984173#msg6984173 date=1462659668
Best way is to make it so the more successful the sector is the more enemies it attracts.

Exce0t orks. Orks love a scrap.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: May 07, 2016, 08:34:23 pm »

Quote from: Puzzlemaker linkrks. =topic=142620.msg6984173#msg6984173 date=1462659668

Exce0t orks. Orks love a scrap.

The only thing Orks like more then scrap is making scrap!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: May 07, 2016, 08:45:31 pm »

And maybe a reaallllly juicy squig.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: May 08, 2016, 09:54:14 am »

--mispost--
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:55:55 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: May 09, 2016, 09:34:30 am »

Question!

I am very aware that this process is likely not very exciting for observers. Programming is slow, especially when I'm only doing it in small chunks in my free time between work and on weekends. And given my current focus of perfecting the interface and slowly adding new systems and screens, each new version adds very little "real" progress for those following along. So there's another route I could go down:

Option A: Continue as I am, build up the various interfaces and screens in the game, adding the gameplay elements as they organically appear. This would be the "proper" way to do it and will require the least backtracking, but will be the slowest path to playability.

Option B: Focus on gameplay as a priority, so I will first finish off regiment creation and then go straight to the map movement and combat systems so there are things to actually do. Likely events after that, then factions, and ultimately customisation and intricate detail will come last after the basic systems arei n place. This will result in the fastest playable version releases, but may involve longer periods of fine tuning and bugfixing.

I am basically open to whichever suits you guys more, so I'd like to get your opinions on which would be more appealing, or whether it just doesn't matter and it would only be interesting as a finished game regardless.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: May 09, 2016, 01:50:45 pm »

I suppose, that you should work on stuff the most enjoyable way for you, so you can advance and have fun instead of ARGH, I HAVE TO DO THIS, BUT I DONT WANT, NONONONO.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 288