Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 800274 times)

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3030 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:58 pm »

So basically Flow's will be more complete, probably, in the fifteen or so years when it finishes.
Had I formed a solid plan of attack (an actual one), and had a decent grounding in an actual programming language, I could have avoided a lot of the pitfalls and rewriting code that happened with Chapter Master.  I wouldn't expect Flow's new take on it to need anything nearing fifteen years- and it has a lot less limitations than GML.

Also shameless plug: new game just launched.  This'll probably be the last one I make in GM.

Edit: Made its own thread.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:28:54 pm by DukeFluffy »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: March 29, 2016, 10:00:18 pm »

So basically Flow's will be more complete, probably, in the fifteen or so years when it finishes.
Had I formed a solid plan of attack (an actual one), and had a decent grounding in an actual programming language, I could have avoided a lot of the pitfalls and rewriting code that happened with Chapter Master.  I wouldn't expect Flow's new take on it to need anything nearing fifteen years- and it has a lot less limitations than GML.

Also shameless plug: new game just launched.  This'll probably be the last one I make in GM.

Looks cool, you should start a new thread on your new game so we can talk about it here and build hype.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:15 pm »

I get the towergirls projects mixed up. Who's the artist(s) on this one? If it's not Gats it's a good imitator. Who's writing? Is there any other (relatively) big names on the project?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:00:34 am by Cruxador »

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: March 30, 2016, 12:00:20 am »

I get the towergirls projects mixed up. Who's the artist(s) on this one? Are you the main big name fa/tg/uy on the project?
Our lead artist is Unyin, but then the recent Kobold Princess emotes were done by Ally, and Sera has also lent a hand.  One or two art pieces from Mouse.  There is a second Towergirls project done by another person from /tg/, which we have no affiliation with.  Not sure I'd consider myself big name.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: March 30, 2016, 12:01:23 am »

Not sure I'd consider myself big name.
You made Chapter Master.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: March 30, 2016, 12:35:37 am »

Close enough, anyway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: April 05, 2016, 08:15:44 am »

Been reading through the 200-something page backlog of this thread and others around the internet, there are some really good feature ideas here that shouldn't be too hard to implement once the engine is up and running.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: April 05, 2016, 08:46:07 am »

1. You should compile 'em somewhere, so we can all throw our opinions at them. By which I mean make suggestions and get hyped.
2. Would you mind putting Your Blog in your sig for ease or access?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: April 05, 2016, 09:40:53 am »

I'll try collating them into a design doc this weekend, or if not then certainly soon.

Added the link to my signature, hope it helps! Might try and sneak some time in this week to finish up the main game menus, I can see it all coming together in my head, just need to get the code out into the compiler.

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: April 06, 2016, 01:25:55 am »

Well, consider me excited.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: April 06, 2016, 12:25:55 pm »

You made Chapter Master.
More accurately, someone else created Chapter Master, the Duke just continued the good work and passed it on.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: April 06, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »

Been reading through the thread. Apparently people have asked for the cheat-codes prrsent in the older versions of Chapter Master to be released to the general public. Is this ever going to happen?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: April 06, 2016, 02:11:31 pm »

You made Chapter Master.
More accurately, someone else created Chapter Master, the Duke just continued the good work and passed it on.
Someone else created the idea of chapter master. And there was another take on the project which ended up not reaching a playable release. Duke didn't use anyone else's existing codebase for the project, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: April 06, 2016, 02:31:36 pm »

You made Chapter Master.
Someone else created the idea of chapter master. And there was another take on the project which ended up not reaching a playable release. Duke didn't use anyone else's existing codebase for the project, though.

Don't think that's quite accurate. I think he did cobble together some existing scrap code others had worked up to get to the releases he had, before he added a ton of his own work on top of it. Could be wrong though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: April 06, 2016, 05:39:15 pm »

You made Chapter Master.

Don't think that's quite accurate. I think he did cobble together some existing scrap code others had worked up to get to the releases he had, before he added a ton of his own work on top of it. Could be wrong though.

Though I can't attest to Duke's practices obviously, I can tell you that the original was made in VB.Net and C++, while Duke's is made entirely of GML. The two(three) langauges are obviously similar and probably share some syntax, but he categorically could not have just copied over some existing work from one to the other..

While I might not choose to continue his work from the GML code due to limitations in the language/engine and the difficultiesi n cleaning the code of someone who's learning as they go, that isn't at all to diminish the fact that he clearly put in a hell of a lot of work to Chapter Master and should be recognised for that.

To say that he just picked it up and then passed it off would be an ill-informed insult to his work, whether you like Chapter Master or not.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 288