Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 800196 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3015 on: March 27, 2016, 06:15:42 pm »

Added a new blog post! I won't update here every time or anything, but just so people know that it isn't abandoned. I'll aim to update every Sunday as I tend to have time to work on these things over the weekend. Not a huge maount of visible, tangible progress this week - mostly backend architecture for shortcut capturing, menu spawning and so on.

Next week I'll hopefully have a new release to show. Won't be terribly exciting, but it's proof of progress and I know that's been lacking for Chapter Master for a long time.

As ever I'm looking for people to basically be on-call or be willing to talk to me in-depth at some point soon about current Chapter Master mechanics and lore and all that. Feel free to PM me here, on the blog or e-mail cmggamedev@gmail.com and we can figure something out. Same goes for artists/fluff writers.

-Streamline/Flow

That's awesome, thank you for doing this. Will all of the Chapters be playable next release?

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: March 27, 2016, 06:24:19 pm »

Added a new blog post! I won't update here every time or anything, but just so people know that it isn't abandoned. I'll aim to update every Sunday as I tend to have time to work on these things over the weekend. Not a huge maount of visible, tangible progress this week - mostly backend architecture for shortcut capturing, menu spawning and so on.

Next week I'll hopefully have a new release to show. Won't be terribly exciting, but it's proof of progress and I know that's been lacking for Chapter Master for a long time.

As ever I'm looking for people to basically be on-call or be willing to talk to me in-depth at some point soon about current Chapter Master mechanics and lore and all that. Feel free to PM me here, on the blog or e-mail cmggamedev@gmail.com and we can figure something out. Same goes for artists/fluff writers.

-Streamline/Flow

That's awesome, thank you for doing this. Will all of the Chapters be playable next release?

Probably not, unfortunately. I'm not really touching the existing game at all, having gone over the GML code for a little while I would much rather start from scratch, not least because I think the number of game-crashing catastrophic bugs is just insane - I can't recall ever releasing anything that had a legitimate crash-to-desktop bug, that's just sloppy.

So it'll be a little while before I have a viable release with chapter selection. Or, more specifically, there will probably be chapter selection really soon (maybe next week even - maybe this is what you were asknig and I'm just rambling) but they won't be actually fully playable for a while to come while I build up the main engine.

With regards to the actual Space Marine chapters, I probably won't put those in myself. I will for sure create the process by which you can generate your own, custom chapter (or 'batallion' or 'regiment' as it's likely to be called in generics), but I'll release the modding documentation to create them. Might put in one sample one or something. I put up a /tg/ thread a while ago showing off some different chapter colours with item combinations, so you can take a look at that archive for some idea.

Hopefully that answers your question, in a shoot-twenty-bolts-and-you'll-hit-the-xeno-eventually kind of way. [/ramble]

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: March 28, 2016, 05:58:43 am »

You are really awesome dude. However I would advice you to at least put your email in spoilers, lest your risk attracting the technoheresy terrors of spam to your holly email.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3018 on: March 28, 2016, 08:46:10 am »

You are really awesome dude. However I would advice you to at least put your email in spoilers, lest your risk attracting the technoheresy terrors of spam to your holly email.
Not enough, you proably want something like cmggamedev {at} gmail {dot} com, though it's now spilled milk now anyway.

But yeah, you're doing the Emperor's work dude. I'd give you some Thrones if I had any.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:13 am »

Not enough, you proably want something like cmggamedev {at} gmail {dot} com, though it's now spilled milk now anyway.

But yeah, you're doing the Emperor's work dude. I'd give you some Thrones if I had any.
I did say "at least"  :P , the safest way would be to request we PM him. Also he can edit the post, that would prevent further incursions from the chaos spawnbots.

At any rate Flow, this is excellent! May the Imperator, supreme leader of the Empire guide you from his Auric Chair! Your blog is now on my bookmarks under check twice a day.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:09:49 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3020 on: March 28, 2016, 10:59:14 am »

I did say "at least"  :P , the safest way would be to request we PM him. Also he can edit the post, that would prevent further incursions from the chaos spawnbots.

At any rate Flow, this is excellent! May the Imperator, supreme leader of the Empire guide you from his Auric Chair! Your blog is now on my bookmarks under check twice a day.
People quoted him, so unless they change it he's cucked.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: March 28, 2016, 11:10:29 am »

People quoted him, so unless they change it he's cucked.
Crap you are right... then I would advice those who quoted him to modify their posts too.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: March 28, 2016, 11:29:41 am »

Don't worry about it guys, I don't really mind. I would rather it be easier to find and use for those that want it - it's a dedicated account (obviously) so I don't really mind about the spam. Nothing personal info-wise on there.

Oh I forgot to say in my last post, would someone mind updating the 1d4chan post? Last it says is that the link to Marine Editor is gone, I feel it's a bit vain to update it myself (but maybe that's silly).

And just to give some clarification as I've seen this confused around the internet, my version is not the Chapter Master you currently know and love. Jourmier and Thy Reaper are currently working on that, and may well release something new and amazing before I even get into proper alpha versions. This will be slow, and it will be something different, but hopefully it'll be something awesome.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:32:34 am by Flow »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: March 28, 2016, 12:43:36 pm »

Oh I forgot to say in my last post, would someone mind updating the 1d4chan post? Last it says is that the link to Marine Editor is gone, I feel it's a bit vain to update it myself (but maybe that's silly).
It's not any vainer than asking someone else to do it, and you probably know more about what info you think should be there than anyone else.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: March 28, 2016, 01:29:21 pm »

It's not any vainer than asking someone else to do it, and you probably know more about what info you think should be there than anyone else.

Fair enough! I'll go do it.

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: March 28, 2016, 05:30:48 pm »

...my version is not the Chapter Master you currently know and love. Jourmier and Thy Reaper are currently working on that, and may well release something new and amazing before I even get into proper alpha versions. This will be slow, and it will be something different, but hopefully it'll be something awesome.

What are the differences between your Chapter Master and the one Journier and Thy Reaper are working on?

Is Thy Reaper still MIA?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: March 28, 2016, 05:53:48 pm »

...my version is not the Chapter Master you currently know and love. Jourmier and Thy Reaper are currently working on that, and may well release something new and amazing before I even get into proper alpha versions. This will be slow, and it will be something different, but hopefully it'll be something awesome.

What are the differences between your Chapter Master and the one Journier and Thy Reaper are working on?

Is Thy Reaper still MIA?

Iirc Journier & Thy are fixing the buggy morass that is the current CM, reworking, refactoring, etc, while Flow is writing the game from the ground up in a different programming language.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: March 29, 2016, 06:40:37 am »

Is Thy Reaper still MIA?

Iirc Journier & Thy are fixing the buggy morass that is the current CM, reworking, refactoring, etc, while Flow is writing the game from the ground up in a different programming language.

Basically this. I'm not using the existing Chapter Master for anything more than a basis and art/sound assets, but am writing a new engine to hopefully support a wide variety of Chapter Master-style games with potentially wildly different themes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: March 29, 2016, 10:01:58 am »

So basically Flow's will be more complete, probably, in the fifteen or so years when it finishes.
But Journier and Thy's (When Thy turns up again) will be shiny, de-bugged version of our current chapter master. With save compatibility.

Edit: Decided to play a bit tonight, haven't touched it for months. So, where did my month go?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:44:57 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: March 29, 2016, 10:36:01 am »

So basically Flow's will be more complete, probably, in the fifteen or so years when it finishes.
But Journier and Thy's (When Thy turns up again) will be shiny, de-bugged version of our current chapter master. With save compatibility.

I wouldn't say it'll take fifteen years, maybe 3-4 months, but yes thats essentially it. I fully encourage you all to not wait on mine and focus on Jourmier's and Thy's version when it gets released.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 288