Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799653 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #2550 on: October 29, 2015, 12:16:25 pm »

If it's the Chapter Master project I just saw on Google Code from 2011, that was in *C*.  Duke owned the code he wrote.  But he generously released it as open source without restrictions (except, to paraphrase, "don't judge me based on some of this old code" :P).
So now it's fair game for whatever people want to do with it, which is cool!

The code, that is.  I still think he has implied ownership of the Interstellar Army Simulator name...  Not that that matters much, but I think he could stop someone from putting the game on Steam under *that* name.  Maybe?  I'm still not a lawyer :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: October 29, 2015, 12:46:45 pm »

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured with restarting the cashflow. I suppose it's inevitable after the success Duke had doing it, though I don't think it's conducive to a good end product but whatever. FWIW I was briefly part of the original C/VB version of Chapter Master and you're absolutely right it was a mess of politics and bullshit, but it absolutely doesn't have to be that way at all.

Hope we get to contribute to this, but if it does end up being monetised again I'm not going to bother competing with a month's lead on cleaning/understanding and the appearance of legitimacy.

As far as ownership goes, if the project was open sourced it seems extremely sketchy to then privatise it again and charge for the product, though I doubt anyone is going to be entering a legal battle over a /tg/ game based on illegal IP use. So he can basically do what he likes, but he needs to be really careful about the monetising, even with it being a more generic Interstellar Army Simulator. Hell hath no fury like a GW scorned.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:48:52 pm by Flow »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: October 29, 2015, 01:10:39 pm »

The code, that is.  I still think he has implied ownership of the Interstellar Army Simulator name...  Not that that matters much, but I think he could stop someone from putting the game on Steam under *that* name.  Maybe?  I'm still not a lawyer :P
Oh, for outright commercial sale?  Yes... there will be salt.
The donation model is fine.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: October 29, 2015, 01:38:51 pm »

And want the game to get away from the IP.
Seems kind of pointless since there's no cash trail any more. Why get away from the IP at all?
Let's see.
He's trying to get away from the IP
He's refusing to crowd-source the coding.
It's pretty clear he plans to start the cashflow again.

Which, to me, seems reasonable. It's why I'd have picked it up, anyway.

That is fucked up.
This is completely fucking retard. The IP is one of the reasons this game was good, now that it is open source why the fuck would you try to monetize it? Just let the game as it is if you are going to be a greedy fuck.

But I really haven't read any of Jourier posts that would imply he is planning to do it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:13 pm »

I'd tend to agree. Monetizing it is what increased the odds of a C&D, which necessitated IAS. Personally I find having to strip everything 40k out of the game so a mod can put it back makes me less interested in playing it. (It also delays any release because someone has to be updating the mod for it in time with development.)

I'd rather see the game go on as CM at the risk of a C&D, than as someone's pet project they're monetizing and having to bend over backwards to avoid a C&D over it. That said, I'm not doing (most of) the work so my opinions on that are mostly irrelevant.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: October 29, 2015, 02:26:39 pm »

That is fucked up.
This is completely fucking retard. The IP is one of the reasons this game was good, now that it is open source why the fuck would you try to monetize it? Just let the game as it is if you are going to be a greedy fuck.

But I really haven't read any of Jourier posts that would imply he is planning to do it.
Coding is actual work.  Feeding entitled, ungrateful people like you makes me really question my own volunteer coding.

But if you'd been listening, you'd know there's little chance of this being monetized.  If anything it'll be donations again, because everyone knows coders are essentially panhandlers /s

"greedy fucks"... Good luck getting your free shit with that attitude. 
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: October 29, 2015, 07:33:29 pm »

Is that ok with Duke though?

Anything we do with the code Duke was fine with I spoke with him via email a few times to ensure so. Or else we wouldn't be working on the project in any way. (which honestly may have been simpler lol)

We are sure he will touch base with all of you if he so pleases. He released all rights of the game, his only wish was that the game stay free for the community, which we have already committed to doing, i have said we will release the code in a certain time frame fixed up, so that you can work on it in easier fashion than reading through it as is. We are adding some simple modding capabilities to the game as well.

We are dropping money and time (more money) on the development time of this game. I don't understand why anyone is getting angry at us for trying to help the game continue when it would have simply died off. I was tired of seeing interesting things die, and decided why not do it?

We will release the code base when its ready and complete not half done.

Lets all be on the side of Order and not Chaos tonight. Lets join together and be something bigger and stronger than Chaos.

Thanks,
Journier
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:47:02 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: October 29, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »

Wow, nice. Out of curiosity, who is "we" in this case? I though so far it was pretty much a one-man-job.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Thy Reaper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: October 29, 2015, 07:55:35 pm »

Wow, nice. Out of curiosity, who is "we" in this case? I though so far it was pretty much a one-man-job.

I'm the other guy in the "we." He just happened to link this thread to me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: October 29, 2015, 08:44:00 pm »

To be clear, I'm not bent out of shape about someone deciding to monetize CM. I want developers to be compensated for their time and to be rewarded, as that's part of any project not becoming a millstone around your neck. I just think, in CM's case, it has introduced some complications.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: October 29, 2015, 10:48:20 pm »

Yeah, and sorry for getting upset (I wasn't replying to you Nenjin, but still).

I don't think anyone's mad at you Journier, I was just musing about hypotheticals then overreacted over something that basically doesn't concern you.  I'm going to back slowly away from the thread for a while now :P  Thanks for your efforts.
She/they

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: October 30, 2015, 05:38:58 am »

Yeah, I was probably giving the pot a stir myself.
However, I still don't have a problem with Journier starting a funding campaign for it.
He was the first to step forward in the wake of the calamity and the pair of them seem to be the only ones willing to commit full time.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: October 30, 2015, 09:22:20 am »

Which, funnily enough, means that the first person to throw it up on Greenlight may actually be the 'developer'. But also may be ubiquitously hated by the fatguys.

I wouldn't have expected drama from this, but somehow it smells like a shitstorm coming.

would be better pr to get it kickstarted 'to finish up loose ends' instead of greenlighted. it can also have interesting tiers like '100k generic interstellar marine game' as the base goal and 2m (or whatever it takes) for getting the w40k license as a stretch goal

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: October 30, 2015, 07:09:26 pm »

Well, GW seems pretty liberal with who they give their license to, however, to pay for the license would mean it's no longer a free game.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: October 30, 2015, 08:32:03 pm »

I hate how much geedubs goes after people who do work based on their IP yet their product is full of references to other junk. I mean, Sly Marbo. Come on. How can you get so assmad over one dude making a poor, but great, game? I mean shit, at least they should be happy that it's keeping people interested in 40K. I stopped playing tabletop after the latest edition because fukken 'crons and then the nid nerfs. I'm tau all the way but damn, there was no fairness in what they did to the Nids. Plus models are hella expensive and I don't want to shell out all my money to have the chance of winning.

Anyways, hope this keeps getting developed and someone at GW realizes CM is a thing and they won't be able to stop it. Might as well embrace it.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 288