Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799744 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #2490 on: October 22, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »

The navigation portion of it. Stars and warp routes are awfully pixelated and don't really match the sharpness and clarity of the reworked UI. For a long time I've wanted a better representation of most of it (including fleets.) The planetary system map still looks pretty decent, but I think the overall picture of the sector looks pretty shabby. It was fine when the game first showed its face, but it's come a long way since then in pretty much every other department.

As for a specific feature request: mouse over tool tips for each system in the sector.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:44:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: October 22, 2015, 11:09:23 pm »

Eh, some DF around wouldn't really hurt, usually /tg/ understands an Imperial Fuckton of vidya memes. 1d4chan is actually a pretty good place for le 40k maymays, implying someone doesn't know better.
There's not a problem that people don't understand it. But understanding doesn't always entail enjoyment. I know what comprises feces, and yet I still prefer not to use it as decoration.

if only you guys knew how many memes are in the code. Theres memes in this game from the code on up. Literally everywhere...
I'm not entirely certain you know what a meme is then.

This game was supposed to be maymay from start.
The original thread wasn't really intended to refer to a real game. But Chaptermaster, the game, was always intended to be an actual real playable non-shit game.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: October 22, 2015, 11:15:43 pm »

The navigation portion of it. Stars and warp routes are awfully pixelated and don't really match the sharpness and clarity of the reworked UI. For a long time I've wanted a better representation of most of it (including fleets.) The planetary system map still looks pretty decent, but I think the overall picture of the sector looks pretty shabby. It was fine when the game first showed its face, but it's come a long way since then in pretty much every other department.

As for a specific feature request: mouse over tool tips for each system in the sector.
I don't really see anything inadequate about the current look. The stars look as much like stars as they can and still stick out against the backdrop. The warp lanes are lines. Ships, it would be nice if they varied according to race I suppose. And the backdrop is bland. But if you're having major pixelation issues, it probably means that your resolution is off; the game should render natively 1-1 by default.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: October 23, 2015, 01:16:20 am »

Got a massive headache from cleaning code up and ended the day.

I'm surprised you didn't get a stroke instead.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: October 23, 2015, 02:03:14 am »

I don't really see anything inadequate about the current look. The stars look as much like stars as they can and still stick out against the backdrop. The warp lanes are lines. Ships, it would be nice if they varied according to race I suppose. And the backdrop is bland. But if you're having major pixelation issues, it probably means that your resolution is off; the game should render natively 1-1 by default.

Inadequate? No. It's functional. It's just butt ugly. I'm not having major pixelation issues. It just doesn't look good at any resolution. When I look at the CM sector map, it makes me think of Master of Orion. That's how retro it seems to me, and it could look a lot nicer. I ask all this not knowing what Journier's art skills are like. But Duke managed to take the UI in general up several notches in quality, I think the same could be done for the sector map. As I said, after the UI upgrade the difference between the two in terms of aesthetics and quality is pretty big.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:10:58 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: October 23, 2015, 03:35:45 am »

When I look at the CM sector map, it makes me think of Master of Orion.
Is that supposed to be an insult?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: October 23, 2015, 03:43:19 am »

When I look at the CM sector map, it makes me think of Master of Orion.
Is that supposed to be an insult?

No? It's a comparison of fidelity.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: October 23, 2015, 07:43:16 am »

/tg/ seems to have gotten word of Journier's work here, so there's a nice ego boost.
Or, possibly, way more pressure. Which is bad.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: October 23, 2015, 06:17:32 pm »

they will never find me. muahaha.

also, can we keep the fighting down a bit its just a game nothing to get upset or bothered by. Lets all relax here. 8)
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: October 23, 2015, 06:23:54 pm »

also, can we keep the fighting down a bit its just a game nothing to get upset or bothered by. Lets all relax here. 8)

I demand an "ARE YOU SURE" button when initiating fleet battles. I doomed my chapter so many times its silly (Winning vs IG is impossibro)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dazric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: October 23, 2015, 06:53:09 pm »

I demand an "ARE YOU SURE" button when initiating fleet battles. I doomed my chapter so many times its silly (Winning vs IG is impossibro)

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to dare second guess the CHAPTER MASTER. There are drawbacks to being a big badass leader. One of them is no one asks for confirmation on your orders.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: October 23, 2015, 07:42:27 pm »

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to dare second guess the CHAPTER MASTER. There are drawbacks to being a big badass leader. One of them is no one asks for confirmation on your orders.

A confirmation button is practically heresy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: October 23, 2015, 08:09:13 pm »

Have buttons for yes/no as well as a checkbox to have the confirmation window executed.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: October 24, 2015, 12:11:25 am »

A confirmation button is practically heresy.

Next they'll be wanting to vet out all their ideas through collaborative committees before issuing any orders suggestions to the chapter.

friggin' elves.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2504 on: October 24, 2015, 06:00:35 am »

Have buttons for yes/no as well as a checkbox to have the confirmation window executed.
Yes this, please.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 288