Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798341 times)

overlordjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1635 on: May 29, 2015, 10:56:07 am »

Not necessarily

Odd, I thought I was agreeing with you.  I guess I retract your original suggestion for you, then?

Yup, I confused myself. Nevermind.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 29, 2015, 12:50:13 pm »

no, sorry for being a douche.  all is cool.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 29, 2015, 07:01:06 pm »

Hey Duke, any feels on when you're going to do more with your framework for music?

Also bug report: Jump Packs be broken. When equipping officers in my 8th assault company, I noticed that suddenly none of my Assault Marines had jump packs. I know this because I was looking at them, hit the arrow to go to a different company, went back, and the jump packs weren't mentioned on their gear line or visible on their profile. Likewise, the officers I'd given jump packs to, that seemed to equip fine, no longer had them.

Now whenever or whoever I equip a jump pack to loses it as soon as I leave the company screen. I built a whole bunch of extras in the Aramentarium, and I don't notice the number of jump packs going down as I equip them, nor does the game register the 80-some-odd jump packs that disappeared.

Also I totally dig the new loading screens, but I will miss Mechanichu making obeisances to the Machine God. The new formations screen is also damn near perfect.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:48:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:00 pm »

My problem with bombard>A/R is that there is essentially no reason to ever not do it. Unlike A/R, you have no idea beforehand on how successful your bombard will be, so you might aswell always do it before attacking (So long as there isn't too much Imperial presence, but that is already something to take into consideration).
Easy solution: planetary guns (Emperor of the Fading Suns style). Each time you bombard a planet, there's a chance they damage your ship- the heavier the presence the higher the chance (also some races more than others? Planetary batteries seems like so much more a T'au thing, than an Ork thing.) Raids are, naturally, immune to this since drop pods have no engines to lock on to (don't think about it too hard... or at all) .
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

snowdrifts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06:10 pm »

Planet-sized guns are absolutely an Ork thing! Screw Roks, strap engines on that planet!!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 30, 2015, 01:24:16 am »

But you're not attacking alien worlds. 

Planetary defense might be a thing if you go rogue, or if an entire world somehow turns from the imperium.  But for the most part those planetary guns should be friendly.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 30, 2015, 01:28:42 am »

You could be attacking alien worlds though.  If the Tau start on the map.  ...  Technically alien worlds.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 30, 2015, 01:38:42 am »

Those would be the exception.  And worlds /can/ fall entirely.

And if anything got up to extreme or swarming levels, Maybe they could mount a defense?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 30, 2015, 08:18:40 am »

But you're not attacking alien worlds. 

Planetary defense might be a thing if you go rogue, or if an entire world somehow turns from the imperium.  But for the most part those planetary guns should be friendly.
I don't know how campaigns work in WH40k, but I expect you can take important objectives from the enemy (rather than being all pitched battles in a random field). And that one of those objectives could be a planetary battery.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

overlordjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 30, 2015, 08:57:28 am »

Maybe only Planetary guns for:

A) Tau Worlds
B) Imperial worlds that have been taken by Orks/Chaos
C) Tyranids/Orks that have been the sole presence on a planet for X amount of turns (Maybe only for Extreme levels?)

That way, when attacking a planet before you bombard you are told the risk of your ships being attacked, so you have to raid first to get the level down from Extreme (Attack brings down vehicles as well so they may get caught by the guns) and only then can you bombard. This would make attacking Extreme planets even more difficult. Again, this causes a problem of only one strategy to combat a situation...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 30, 2015, 10:31:18 am »

Well, it's only a risk, so it might not happen. Make it a risk/reward scenario. Maybe some traits makes it easier to sneak in under their guns. Or, hell, make it so no matter what you do there's a chance of getting by the guns; drop pods can be hit by AA.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 30, 2015, 04:45:00 pm »

Fair enough, but then you're still back to your issue of wanting to interact with multiple planets in the same system on the same turn.

Not necessarily, you could bombard one with 3 ships, raid the other twice with your other ships. Or raid both planets twice with 3 ships each.

My problem with bombard>A/R is that there is essentially no reason to ever not do it. Unlike A/R, you have no idea beforehand on how successful your bombard will be, so you might aswell always do it before attacking (So long as there isn't too much Imperial presence, but that is already something to take into consideration).

Bombard is a direct relation (maybe with a small randomness) of the number of ship time their bombardment strength. It's extremely predictable. You can also "attack" after since you use it mainly on world without imperial population defences, so landing troops means you have 100% chance of a defencive battle (for an extra level or enemy killed).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 30, 2015, 07:56:59 pm »

I think Orbital defenses should be handled like regular fleet engagements.

Here's my reasoning: as far as the Imperium battle tactics go, you cannot bombard a planet with an active orbital defense grid. Bombardment takes hours and hours of sustained fire to be truly effective, something you can't do when you're getting hammered by cruiser-class weapons mounted on defense platforms. You have to be geo stationary orbit for many type of bombardment weapons to work, as well.

So, in my mind, you'd have to deal with orbital weapons platforms on the same level as fleets.

That doesn't address ground-based torpedo silos and what not though. Not quite sure how you handle that in the current flow of the game. I suppose they could just passively whittle away at hull strength every turn an enemy fleet is in orbit, until they're bombarded. (Ground defenses generally being the first thing targeted in an orbital bombardment.) Thing is though, those ground-based defenses are like, hab-block sized torpedoes capable of one-shotting a strike cruiser. To do them justice they can't just be an annoyance. But given that orbit-ground combat doesn't really exist in the game conceptually, I'm not sure how you address them. Because there's no way I want to put fleets in orbit, loaded company strength, if there's a % chance they're just going to get vaporized when I click End Turn.

Slightly different but related topic, you should not be able to land troops on a planet that has hostile ships in orbit (or orbital defense platforms if they ever make it in.) Nor should you be able to leave orbit with the same. Reason being is ships will interdict any attempts to drop ground troops, and once you get into system they'll attack you while you're plotting a warp jump to leave.

There should be an exception for hot dropping troops onto a planet with a hostile fleet in orbit. Happens all the time in fluff. Ships will plow through a defensive line in orbit to drop troops to the surface, almost always at the cost of the ship in question. I imagine when you move a ship into orbit with a hostile fleet, the "Attack" button would change to "Punch through Blockade", and if successful, woud unload all the troops on your ships to the planet before immediately gong to the fleet combat screen.

One other point about orbital maneuvers. They're a bit incomplete based on how the game structures itself. When a ship exists the warp into a system, it typically does it far away them, like a week's travel, because to jump into or out of the active gravity well of a planet or star is to invite disaster during warp translation. Tearing apart of ships and planets, and so forth. (In 40k lore, this point is known as the Mendeville point, or the point at which it is or is not safe to translate to the Warp.)

The game kinda models us being in the outer reaches of the system by letting us choose what planet to interact with. But fleets are generally considered to be in the system at large instead of at a planet.

So. What if "System" was it's own actual place of space, and fleets were either "in system" or "at planet." It would take one turn to go from "in system" to "at planet" and one turn to go from "at planet" to "at planet."

I think this would be good for the game for several reasons:
1. It more accurate reflects fleet movement fluff-style.
2. It would increase the amount of time exploration takes.
3. It would allow people to bypass hostile systems while (with what I said above about not being able to land or bombard planets with hostile fleets at them) forcing them to address enemy fleets on a planetary basis instead of a system-wide basis all the time.
4. It would allow for more interesting fleet-based scenarios. So for example, instead of facing a unified ork fleet of 10 rocks or whatever in a system, at the planetary level that fleet might be spread out over several planets. Systems would be threatened faster than the current method, which seems like one planet at a time falls before the next gets attacked. You might end up chasing fleets, coming to their rescue, putting all your eggs in one basket at the best hive world of the system....

In terms of UI changes the game would need to address, the star map I don't think would need to change at all. You'd see a fleet group at the system level, letting you know, yes, there's a fleet present somewhere in teh system.

The planetary view would need to change fairly substantially. It'd basically need to be able to display fleet icons around the planets, and have an "in system" section to display what fleets are just sort of floating around. You'd need to be able to divide and assign parts of a fleet to different planets, so basically the system-level ship selector present on the planetary view. The whole logic about what you've got selected interacting with what planet would have to change, since each ship at a planet or in system would be considered in a separate, exclusive area.

There'd be some complications, namely, the AI knowing how to juggle its fleet being spread out, and how to control for being "in system" or "at planet" when you're trying to order the fleet to move from the system view. I suppose the the fleet selection menu could grey out ships in the fleet that are "at planet", telling the player that they cannot be part of the warp jump until they move to "in system."

So basically, instead of clicking on a planet in star map and getting a popup-style view of the system, in this, clicking on a planet would take you to the "system view, and clicking on a planet would bring up the planet view as normal.

That's a lot to take in, but man, I really think the game could use another layer like that. Here, have a crappy GIMP picture of how I see this:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:40:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

frankensteins poster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: May 30, 2015, 10:32:36 pm »

I just had a CSM crusade land on a tau planet and wipe out the tau fleet there. Then it just sat there and ate about three ork fleets that decided that they wanted to land there. In the end I got a crusade license and the Imperial navy finally took them out. The system must've been 95% wrecked ships at that point. There were Tau, Orks, CSM and traitors just chilling together on the planet, until I went in there and killed them all.

I really like how the mauled sector fleet makes a beeline for the next forge world to replenish afterwards, that's a real nice touch. Is there a real sector economy, as in the planets pay requisition that gets converted to ships or something?

How can I get more of the STC fragments? I only get about a 50% success rate when I send a techmarine down there, the other half of the time it disappears from the planet but does not show up in the armamentarium. Can't seem to figure out what it depends on.

Also what's the best way to deal with demon worlds? Raiding seems good because that step down from rampant makes a huge difference, but I still lose half the chapter. I feel like I'd have to have a gigantic amount of tanks before attack becomes better.

Ah, and how do I get rid of demonic incursion? I kill everyone and the tag still is there on the planet, and the pop just dies.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 31, 2015, 06:53:57 am »

Also what's the best way to deal with demon worlds? Raiding seems good because that step down from rampant makes a huge difference, but I still lose half the chapter. I feel like I'd have to have a gigantic amount of tanks before attack becomes better.

Bombardment until the lvl of enemy is manageable (shouldn't take more than 2-3 turns with whole chapter even at size 1). You can also land and wait for defencive battles, works very well if there's still few defences left.
Then land an attack with everything, the key is to concentrate your vehicles with a bunch (20+) techmarines, they will take next to no attrition.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 288