Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798538 times)

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1530 on: May 22, 2015, 01:49:20 am »

I've been WAY busier than normal- life has been getting in the way of Chapter Master.  Still have a smallerish patch that should prove amusing.

Major Changes:
Custom Battle Formations have been added to the game!  You may modify the standard arrangements for Attack/Defend/Raid within Chapter Settings, but there is also an option to create new formations.  Once a new one is made you may name it, set it to work for Raids or Attacks, and then select it when performing an Attack or Raid during your turn.  Random events that cause battles, and special battles like that of Spyrers, Necron Tombs, or Ship Demons, will use the standard Attack formation.  Note that the standard Attack and Defend formations, that are selectable when your forces are attacked, may be customized.

Minor Changes:
Hitting 'T' while in menus no longer ends the turn.
Hitting 'P' while in menus no longer forces the cheat popup and overrides string entering.
Things.

frankensteins poster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 22, 2015, 10:06:27 am »

That's awesome, thanks Duke!

Would it be possible to get rid of having to press "enter" after every phase of the battle? Right now a considerable percentage of gameplay is pressing enter while staring at the battle report with glazed eyes, and that's not fun. I can't do anything anyway to react to the reports so there's no real need for the pause.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 22, 2015, 10:36:21 am »

That's awesome, thanks Duke!

Would it be possible to get rid of having to press "enter" after every phase of the battle? Right now a considerable percentage of gameplay is pressing enter while staring at the battle report with glazed eyes, and that's not fun. I can't do anything anyway to react to the reports so there's no real need for the pause.

Yeah, I'd say there needs to be a combat speed setting, sort of like old school RPGs with a ton of scrolling text.

Bonus points if we can use the scroll wheel to go back through the combat messages.

Hitting enter a lot would make more sense if there were choices to make during combat. But since it's all automated, 45 to 50 enter presses for one of those weird fights does feel pretty excessive.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 22, 2015, 10:49:36 am »

Hitting enter a lot would make more sense if there were choices to make during combat. But since it's all automated, 45 to 50 enter presses for one of those weird fights does feel pretty excessive.
I'd say meet in the middle, and have 'Enter' presses advance the battle by 1 turn (like now, with all the text and pictures) and an 'Escape' press just show you the outcome (this stuff: "in the end we lost 123 marines, saved 56, recovered 234 geneseed and reduced enemy concentration to 3 (5-2)")
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 22, 2015, 10:53:08 am »

I find myself in the middle of those wants. I like watching combat play out, I don't usually want a summary. But I do find myself getting tired of hitting enter because of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 22, 2015, 05:36:02 pm »

I enjoy the combat descriptions. I wish there'd be even more flavour to them! :D

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 22, 2015, 07:26:09 pm »

Speaking of which, plenty of weapons still don't have any descriptions for their attacks. Meltas, CBP, almost all enemy weapons that aren't Ork or Necron gear, autocannons and more. Maybe we could write those? I don't see anything in the suggestion file.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This turned out to be a way more severe problem than I thought at first. As Orks continue to spam fleets indefinitely and have them sit around doing nothing, the game starts reacting more slowly. At least I believe that's the cause; I can't find anything else that might have such an impact. Sooner or later it will become too laggy to play. I have to take a break now that every passing turn brings me closer to FPS death until it's fixed.

And I'm really looking forward to letting my Death Company loose at heretics and xenos.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:29:54 pm by Hetairos »

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 22, 2015, 09:55:56 pm »

Yeah, Ork fleets don't recognise if a system has no inhabitable planets, so they keep sending fleets at whatever is the nearest ork free star.

halosammy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 23, 2015, 12:40:36 am »

This isn't going to be high on your priority list since the Imperial Fists can be put off while other chapter are made, but it g Se without saying some rather large new mechanics will need to be implemented on the context of systems and planets. Assuming you chose not to model the Sol system and go with the Fist's monastery Phalanx, a new mechanic should be added for both Phalanx and The Rock for mobile space fortresses. The two fortress monasteries can be converted into these in gameplay, and sector command can be one (allowing the sector fleet to be overrun if left against an obscenely huge fleet).

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 23, 2015, 10:38:07 am »

Hmm, quite a fun game, but I am totally clueless. Stomped out a few orks, failed to figure out how to raise Requisition income (if it's even possible?), then got called by a crusade... Wherein my chapter lost 90% of its forces, including every major unit but the Chapter Master.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:48:27 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 23, 2015, 11:47:54 am »

Hmm, quite a fun game, but I am totally clueless. Stomped out a few orks, failed to figure out how to raise Requisition income (if it's even possible?), then got called by a crusade... Wherein my chapter lost 90% of its forces, including every major unit but the Chapter Master.

NEVER send all of your forces on Crusade. They will, as you just found out, die.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

snowdrifts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 23, 2015, 11:59:29 am »

If by "die" you mean "bring glory to the Emperor and Humanity in honourable battle" then sure yeah I guess.

But a company or two is usually good for a Crusade. If you're weak heretics.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 23, 2015, 12:19:36 pm »

If by "die" you mean "bring glory to the Emperor and Humanity in honourable battle" then sure yeah I guess.

But a company or two is usually good for a Crusade. If you're weak heretics.
I send my scout forces on crusades. Were I to dispatch an entire company of full Space Marines, the enemies of mankind would stand no chance, and it would simply be unsporting. Besides, if we kill all the xenos, there will be none left for the Astra Militarum to claim as their kills, and that would be extremely unfair.

The requirements for graduating from neophyte and becoming a Space Marine of the Scarlet Kings is simple; as a scout, live through a Crusade.

We tend to be below strength as a result. Recruitment is very high, and our brothers in the Inquisition find our methods wasteful, believing that a mere 50 geneseed incubators would do, and the ludicrous suggestion of less than 40 Apothecaries. 400 incubators barely serves our needs as it is!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 23, 2015, 12:43:39 pm »

Picked up an artifact off some random planet. Everyone in the Imperium hates me and I end up as a Renegade. Turns out the it was demonic. Of course, the Inquisition, rather than going "Hand it over!" instantly attacked, before I even knew what the damn thing was. :v

So, yeah, is there a way to increase requisition income?

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 23, 2015, 01:39:03 pm »

Picked up an artifact off some random planet. Everyone in the Imperium hates me and I end up as a Renegade. Turns out the it was demonic. Of course, the Inquisition, rather than going "Hand it over!" instantly attacked, before I even knew what the damn thing was. :v

So, yeah, is there a way to increase requisition income?

One way is to assassinate planetary governors with the "Purge" option and replace them with your own men.

Another way is to have a battle-barge in the orbit of a planet, and after a few turns it will generate trade.

A third way is to sell your gene-seeds.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 288