Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798537 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1425 on: May 04, 2015, 10:03:32 am »

Yes but their knowledge is incomplete, and you'd think jury rigging dozens of machine spirits and several entire shipboard systems across an entire Space Hulk would be quite a feat for a single tech marine, and possibly require knowledge the mechanicus doesn't teach to anyone but full fledged tech priests.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 04, 2015, 10:08:38 am »

Their knowledge isn't incomplete, they go through the full regiment of training that all tech priests go through, they are on par if not better then the Enginseers. The main issue with not being a major part of the higher class of Mechanicus is that they would not learn any more theoretical application, as they like the standard Enginseer is more based around the practical application and usage of everyday tech usage.

Sure they won't be helping the Divine Quest for Knowledge, but their usage in the field would be drastically better then those who sit in their spires of the ruling class of the Adeptas Mechanicus, not to mention as shown in some Chapters that their Tech Marines can produce their own tech.

And as was mentioned, this was the Master of the Forge, Forgemaster who would essentially been dealing with the massive systems and overall archeotech of the Chapter for the longest period of time and thus would have the knowledge to try tinkering with massive subsystems that a hulk may require.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: May 04, 2015, 10:21:40 am »

but their usage in the field would be drastically better then those who sit in their spires of the ruling class of the Adeptas Mechanicus, not to mention as shown in some Chapters that their Tech Marines can produce their own tech.

Uh no. You don't get to be Fabricator General without knowing more than every other Magos and Tech Priest. There are "mysteries the tech marines are not privvy to." Space Marines may maintain their own ships, but they don't build them. The mechancius does that too. Tech Marines are well trained in a variety of things, as you said, practical things. The kinds of things you need to do to keep an army functioning. That doesn't really include the depth of knowledge like rewiring a machine spirit, IMO.

And as was mentioned, this was the Master of the Forge, Forgemaster who would essentially been dealing with the massive systems and overall archeotech of the Chapter for the longest period of time and thus would have the knowledge to try tinkering with massive subsystems that a hulk may require.

Feasible? Sure. Stretching? Definitely, in my mind.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:42 am »

In addition, to his Mechanicus "brethren", a Master of the Forge is often seen as the worst kind of Heretek, loyal to the Quest for Knowledge in name only, a warrior who does not hesitate to bend and adapt a Machine Spirit to his needs instead of carefully entreating and revering it as the Cult Mechanicus prescribes. While often excessive, there is a core of truth in the Mechanicus' accusations, for a Master of the Forge is first and formost a Space Marine, a warrior of the Emperor tasked with ensuring that the Astartes in his care always have the means to wage war at their disposal. Few Masters of the Forge hesitate to modify or even completely overhaul a weapon or vehicle to better fit their Chapter's need, to the dismay and outrage of the more conservative Tech-Priests.

New patterns of existing vehicles developed by a Master of the Forge are often grudgingly accepted and blessed by the Mechanicum only after painstakingly slow and lengthy examinations, when they are accepted at all. Some Masters of the Forge, tired of waiting for an unrequired approval from dogmatic non-combatants, have simply spread the specifications of their craft to their fellows of other Chapters, bypassing the Mechanicus entirely, which has only served to stress and antagonize the relationship between Astartes and Mechanicus further.
I don't see it as stretching myself, but then I see it as more of something one can learn overtime, adn even the Tech Priests at times refuse to share any knowledge gained with another, lest they feel they taint it or plan to use it for their own usage.

If this had been an Aspirant or new Tech-Marine I could vastly see it as stretching it, but a Forgemaster? Not so much.

Regardless, I've certainly been enjoying the new version of Chapter Master, so much has improved since I played it last!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:10:37 am by ZebioLizard2 »

snowdrifts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 04, 2015, 02:32:18 pm »

Given that Marine ships are by design inferior, it would be very very hereteical and delicious if those ruined ships you can find were Imperial ships. It's a power boost sure, but maybe keeping it gives your loyalty and reputation a huuuuge hit.

(That may be what you get, recovering a ship has yet to work for me, but I've only found one anyway.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: May 04, 2015, 03:07:06 pm »

I have a planet with two quadrillion imperial guard on it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 04, 2015, 03:11:52 pm »

The jewel of the sector, that.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 05, 2015, 02:44:29 am »

According to the average Ork,  this is known as "A good laff and lotsa fun".
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 05, 2015, 03:46:32 am »

Are you sure the planet doesn't consist of Imperial guard? If there are sufficient numbers, they've drifted together and following the laws of gravity, formed into a round mass. "That is no moon - that is an Imperial battle planet!"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 05, 2015, 05:29:38 am »

It's called Vaxhallia. I assume it's the galactic producer of licensed Opel cars. Too bad it's not called one of the more out-there names CM sometimes assigns to planets. Like 'Kup Teraz' (Polish: Buy Now).

The IG disembarked to fight some ('heavy') tyranid infestation. Assuming the planet (a 'temperate' one) is of a similar size to Earth, with 3/4 surface covered in oceans, then a simple calculation reveals that there's one Imperial Guardsman every 2.5 square metres of the planet.
They've been looking for the tyranids for the past 50 turns or so, with no luck.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 05, 2015, 05:32:30 am »

It's called Vaxhallia. I assume it's the galactic producer of licensed Opel cars. Too bad it's not called one of the more out-there names CM sometimes assigns to planets. Like 'Kup Teraz' (Polish: Buy Now).

The IG disembarked to fight some ('heavy') tyranid infestation. Assuming the planet (a 'temperate' one) is of a similar size to Earth, with 3/4 surface covered in oceans, then a simple calculation reveals that there's one Imperial Guardsman every 2.5 square metres of the planet.
They've been looking for the tyranids for the past 50 turns or so, with no luck.

Hmm, sounds like you have a genestealer cult infestation. Tell the arrayed guard to watch each other for suspicious movement.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 05, 2015, 05:56:11 am »

Oh, shoot. I made a mistake. For some reason I used the circumference of Earth where it should be the radius. There's 4 guardsmen per square metre.
They probably can't look down at the tyranids going on about their business.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 05, 2015, 06:00:40 am »

Oh, shoot. I made a mistake. For some reason I used the circumference of Earth where it should be the radius. There's 4 guardsmen per square metre.

There's no problem that can't be solved by more guardsmen...

I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: May 05, 2015, 06:15:52 am »

There's no problem that can't be solved by more guardsmen...

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

And they say that the Tyranids will swarm and devour everything. The true threat is the mighty stomach of the Imperial Guard.

Though that is an interesting thought. How does a planet sustain so many infantry when they get deployed there? Do they bring food supplies with them or subsist off local produce?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 05, 2015, 07:21:42 am »

Holy shit my fanboy dreams are coming tru.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 288