This weekend.
- 8 (50%)
Next week.
- 0 (0%)
Next weekend.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 89

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - see last post  (Read 125573 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - New thread!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 07:43:28 am »

^
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 07:44:01 am »

Posting to watch as well, still interested in you guys' stories, and because the Notify button appears to do nothing.
Huh.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 08:28:01 am »

Notify sends an email to your account.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:10:01 pm »

Why, this looks like fun!

Also... Elephant *cough*... By my name in the list of players OP. >.> *cough*
When you posted your username, you said something about not planning to go to Dumathoin. I probably could have phrased it better.

I'll post a more detailed version of that constitution in a moment.

Also, Elephant Parade, your sig still links to the old thread.
Thank you. I'll fix that in a second.

Rather than flesh out my previous proposal, I’ve created an entirely new one. I like to call this option a decentralised executive democracy. I might put together a more exhaustive explanation later, if people think it’s necessary. The general idea is a little complicated, but in practice it should be fairly adaptive with very little redundancy. Tell me if I haven’t explained any part clearly enough.
As a whole, it’s not especially “dwarven”, but I think it will work better than straight-up monarchy, even if the monarch is elected.
Spoiler: In Brief (click to show/hide)
Hmm. Seems a bit too complicated for me. Also, it would require more people than we have.

Should I add it to the OP?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:48 pm »

Watching this in case I ever get meinkraft.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 02:54:10 pm »

<snip>
Hmm. Seems a bit too complicated for me. Also, it would require more people than we have.

Should I add it to the OP?
You don't have to if you don't think it's suitable. I'm just flinging ideas around at this point, to see what people think.

In case there are no more suggestions, or ideas to improve existing suggestions, perhaps it's time to have a poll on what system to use?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 04:20:00 pm »

Actually, I'll try my hand at a 'constitution' as well, if you don't mind it, guys.
Obviously most of the problem comes from either having too much power in one hand, or not having enough people to actually get somewhere.
So, based on all of these, I'ill try to make something up.
Will post it soon, currently making finishing touches.

EDIT: Finished it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This requires 3 nobles in every fortress. Low number, but should be enough.
Voting power is determined so it's a tie-breaker, and so a noble won't be stopped in fulfilling his responsibilities unless he is absolutely fuckin' stupid.
Also, Leader replacing requires a bit of maths, I know. Shouldn't be too hard, though. They essentially have the power of the third of every voter, minus themselves.
A mountainhome plus two fortresses would mean 6 nobles with 1 voting power and 3 Leaders with 2 voting power each.

Please tell me if it's absolutely confusing, I kinda had the idea hours ago but could only write it now, midnight. Also, I couldn't make up good names for the Leaders, hence the generic "Economic" and "Social" Leader names. I did think up a few, though, decide on the names later.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:16:12 pm by Cerapter »
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

gold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 04:53:40 pm »

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:36:53 pm by gold »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 04:54:39 pm »

PTW. Might join, eventually.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 05:11:16 pm »

Just want to ask how long do you guys think your new place will active before everyone gets bored again?
Longer than yours will.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 05:17:44 pm »

...I've no idea why I edited my previous post instead of making a new one.
Ugh.
Anyways, I edited it, check my suggestion about three posts above.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 05:24:49 pm »

Just want to ask how long do you guys think your new place will active before everyone gets bored again?
Longer than yours will.
Y'know what? I'm laying down a groundrule.

No drama. Please. Also, no "our fortress is better than Dumathoin because [reason]". We don't need drama.

gold: To answer your question, which I don't think was meant to be provocative, I think that the new fortress will last for a month or two. After that, it'll probably be somewhat inactive for a while, but it should eventually pick up again.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 05:28:20 pm »

Indeed!

My own activity on the server may hit a landslide for a short time now, as I have to settle myself in at college. But I might be able to sneak on now and then.

For those wondering though, do what you will with the Memorial Lodge out in the bay. It's... Kind of hideous inside and it could use a far more loving hand than I have if anyone becomes desperately bored. Just don't hurt my precious chickens. They mean everything to me. ;.;
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 06:44:08 pm »

Yeah, the districts thing was supposed to be a more long-term solution to issues with having multiple settlements (read=will probably never happen). "Landowners" is supposed to refer to someone who owns property, be it a house or private farm or vault or whatever, so yes, it would count underground land.
Property would be referred to with two sets of coordinates, one being the far-northwest, highest corner and the other being the far-southeast, lowest corner.
I don't think "size limits" on property should necessarily apply. Everything begins as state-owned, the Council decides how to partition it, and people can buy plots within "available" sections.
Again, remember that as underground creatures (most of us, at least) the three-dimensional nature of property is important. Humans define it as surface land area, but for dwarves, the surface is largely irrelevant.

As for activity, once my Internet gets back to normal, I should actually have enough time now to contribute. And there's currently no reason why that will change any time soon.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 07:08:12 pm »

A more meaningful way to measure property may be in blocks3. What we need right now though is the plans and the man (dwarf?) power to dig out the central chamber and other public areas.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 89