This weekend.
- 8 (50%)
Next week.
- 0 (0%)
Next weekend.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 89

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - see last post  (Read 125792 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - Revival poll.
« Reply #1050 on: March 14, 2015, 02:14:12 pm »

Okay, most people voted for the 14th, but that honestly shouldn't have been on the poll, as we haven't decided on a server or time.

I'm going to remove that option and reset the poll, if nobody objects.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - Revival poll.
« Reply #1051 on: March 14, 2015, 03:07:35 pm »

Sorry for the double-post. I was going to wait until I reset the poll, but I reflexively posted when I finished typing it up.

Note that the next few paragraphs assume we'll be playing on a new server, which we haven't actually done a poll for yet. Oops.

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I'd like to draw some attention to this spreadsheet. I've added  two more pages (switch between them using the tabs at the bottom); one is a visual representation of the times everyone is available, while the other is my proposed set of times. The only problem with it is that there's no way to differentiate between a normal time block and an "ending" one; I didn't notice until it was done, unfortunately.

Now, I think we should log on at 6(-5) AM and 7 PM GMT. Since 8 people can log on at 3 AM, they can act as the "first wave", setting up the fortress. Notably, almost everyone can stay until 6 AM; that's three hours. The second wave, logging on at 7 PM, can establish a second fortress or journey to the first. Unfortunately, this isn't entirely fair to the second wave or the 1-2 people who can't log on at either time.

Edit: Using 12:00 PM as a secondary time would actually catch everyone who couldn't log on at 6 AM, so that might be a better idea.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:24:13 pm by Elephant Parade »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - Spreadsheet update.
« Reply #1052 on: March 15, 2015, 01:55:18 am »

I am of the opinion that we should get some variety.  Rather than building inside of a mountain yet again, we construct our own version of Rapture.  Maybe we can find an underwater temple to build it next to.  Could go back to Civcraft and use the old base for resources and mining while we build our version out in the 'nearby' ocean somewhere fairly far out.

Edit: Or, staying on the current server, we could head to where someone found the Ocean Monument on the way to where the 'current' base is.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:03:38 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1053 on: March 15, 2015, 02:25:17 am »

Let us build our throne in the heart of the sea.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 15, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »

Sea Dwarves? Sounds like some !!FUN!! to me. Count me in.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 15, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »

Yeah, that definitely sounds interesting.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 15, 2015, 01:38:01 pm »

Additional challenge:

Top of the buildings must be at least 14 blocks underwater (sans the entrance construction), and the base of buildings should be in a depression in the ground, if they have floors dug down into the floor (Maybe an exception being given to something that extends back into a natural ocean hill, though can only go 7 into the hill in the area where the building contacts the hill?).
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 15, 2015, 05:30:01 pm »

That sounds good to me, but what server should we do it on? And how? Underwater is a big blind spot for me. If prismarine wasn't so hard to get I would suggest that.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 15, 2015, 08:39:07 pm »

That sounds good to me, but what server should we do it on? And how? Underwater is a big blind spot for me. If prismarine wasn't so hard to get I would suggest that.

Didn't you find an Ocean Monument on Tiny Vanilla?  Could use it and just transfer the old supplies over.

Edit: Here's a server that we could use, if we want to move.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:35:57 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 15, 2015, 11:28:45 pm »

Didn't you find an Ocean Monument on Tiny Vanilla?  Could use it and just transfer the old supplies over.

Edit: Here's a server that we could use, if we want to move.
It seems to be pretty inactive, which means it's fairly likely to die.

So, judging by the poll results, people want somebody to invent time travel technology this to happen as soon as possible. How does next weekend sound to the people who actually post in the thread?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 15, 2015, 11:44:53 pm »

I would prefer the 28th, but I would be able to make the spreadsheet hours on the 21st without too much difficulty. I'm also a little wary of putting it off so long though, this thing is kind of teetering on the brink as it is. That server seems mostly dead. While I do have reservations about TinyVanilla's community, it is pretty active and it has a decent staff. Plus we can use all the stone we quarried there for this new thing. One person to suicide transfer it to spawn, the other person to bring it to the new site. I don't remember exactly where the ocean monument is, but I do remember that it's pretty darn close the the edge of the world in the +Z direction. I'm pretty sure I wrote the coordinates down somewhere, I'll try to find them.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 15, 2015, 11:59:58 pm »

It seems to be pretty inactive, which means it's fairly likely to die.

Honestly, it might just be that the players are asleep.  And finding another is just a matter of 'click on the vanilla tag'.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 16, 2015, 05:37:08 pm »

Hey, here's an idea: On the server I suggested, people spend the current time scouting for an ocean monument.  If we cannot find one, we try to find the one Baffler came across (since he got there through a portal, should be easy to find (if people would post where the entrance to the portals are)).  If we do, we establish a resource gathering base about 500 blocks or so away.  This place wouldn't be decked up, its only purpose being to gather resources for the construction of Rapture, which will only begin on the day of the migrant wave.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 16, 2015, 10:30:41 pm »

Hey, here's an idea: On the server I suggested, people spend the current time scouting for an ocean monument.  If we cannot find one, we try to find the one Baffler came across (since he got there through a portal, should be easy to find (if people would post where the entrance to the portals are)).  If we do, we establish a resource gathering base about 500 blocks or so away.  This place wouldn't be decked up, its only purpose being to gather resources for the construction of Rapture, which will only begin on the day of the migrant wave.

Sounds good to me. I'll start scouting when I get a chance. Also, how do we want to approach this thing? Should we try to make it look like actual Rapture, with lots of glass and bridges between , or do we want to go for a more Atlantis style sunken Greco-Roman ruins vibe, with lots of mossy stone and columns built up around the ocean monument? I could see either way, personally, but the guardians might be a problem. Or a natural defense mechanism... We need to try to capture the Elder Guardian if we can manage it. Give it a nametag and put it in an aquarium.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:46:11 pm by Baffler »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:25 pm »

Sounds good to me. I'll start scouting when I get a chance. Also, how do we want to approach this thing? Should we try to make it look like actual Rapture, with lots of glass and bridges between , or do we want to go for a more Atlantis style sunken Greco-Roman ruins vibe, with lots of mossy stone and columns built up around the ocean monument? I could see either way, personally, but the guardians might be a problem. Or a natural defense mechanism...

Here's my idea:
If there is a nearby island, we construct a structure upon it to serve as the entrance.  A path spirals down into the earth from its intererior, and eventually comes out at a minecart station that sends you to the city (could use glass walls and floor for an interesting visual).  This will connect into a central tower, which, if there is no nearby island, will go above the water to act as the entrance (this would probably be defacto until the rail passage is built).  Even if it is not above the water, this tower should be identifiable as the largest building in the city, for navigation purposes (six to nine blocks higher than its peers, having it be 14 blocks beneath the surface while others are 20-23?).

Inside that tower, there are lines/walkways that lead out into other buildings that simulate various industries (as minecraft industries are pretty simple, we would be having stuff look more complex than it is), or residential towers (built by the player who 'owns' the tower).  These would be built with the largest tower at the center.

In terms of the tower's placement in relation to the Ocean Monument, that would depend upon aggression distance.  We want to get it close to the Monument so that the sprawl will wind up engulfing it, but not close enough to have the guardians be a constant aggro when constructing the tower.  Once it is in place, it is less of a concern, as people could (hopefully) flee into it.

As for design, either an imposing or non-indicative/deceptive (small town with a secret entrance to get to the rails?) for the entrance.  For the central tower, I'm thinking it having primarily archways.  Others would be 'design on a whim' for the most part.  To get it to look like a good city, maybe we could have the buildings limited to a floorplan of 7x7, with the center being 9x9, both including walls.  Between each building would be a gap of at least...five sound good?
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 89