Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Zoegate, AKA the fall of Video Game Media.  (Read 27017 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Zoegate, AKA the fall of Video Game Media.
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »

Welp, ladies and gentlemen, it's happened, the same thing that happened to TV and print news, they have become corrupt and broken. As we speak, a massive shitstorm is flowing its way across the internet, all because of one person, Zoe Quinn. She made the game Depression Quest, which I know has been on these forums before, and used sex, doxxing, lying, manipulation, and "being oppressed" to get money and get her "game" on steam and stomp out anyone who critiques her. Right now, posts across reddit, 4chan, SA, Neogaf, etc etc, are being deleted by people trying to suppress this, and it's not working, thanks Streisand effect.

Really, this vid explains it better than I can.

Spoiler: A few tl;drs (click to show/hide)

Reddit mod corruption
Doxxing, lying and manipulation in TFYC
Wizardchan lying proof
Zoepost blog where her husband spills everything.

This is unreal... More info will be added as it becomes available.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zoegate, AKA the fall of Video Game Media.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:28 pm »

Should I mention Electronic Arts?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:52:21 pm »

This seems really stupid and completely overblown in every possible way, and seems to be notable simply and solely because people enjoy getting upset about it.

Quote from: TotalBiscruit
Honestly that whole debate is something I try and stay the hell away from because the people involved in it are fucking terrifying.

Also, Game's Media has always been corrupt and broken, and absolutely nothing about this situation even seems particularly relevant to that, or has altered the shape of things in any way whatsoever. There is nothing "unreal" about this. It seems, predominantly and primarily, incredibly trite.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:55:21 pm by GlyphGryph »

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:55:19 pm »

This seems really stupid and completely overblown in every possible way, and seems to be notable simply and solely because people enjoy getting upset about it.

Quote from: TotalBiscruit
Honestly that whole debate is something I try and stay the hell away from because the people involved in it are fucking terrifying.
Fixed

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:03:12 pm »

Can I point out the reason for so many deletions on reddit/etc is because entire populations of teenagers are wildly breaking the law by posting her address, the addresses and contact information of anyone who has ever tangentially associated themselves with her, and generally being the filth of humanity? For fucks sake.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:07:22 pm »

the real non-corrupt games media, enlighten yourself and ignore the zoe shitstorm

seriously though who cares

play some video games if you need to wind down

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:27:04 pm »

Because videogame media has in the past been such a bastion of quality journalism.

I've never played or looked at depression quest because I have literally zero interest in interactive fiction games, so maybe I'm just out of the loop.  But it's got le wimmen and she's doing le sex at people so naturally le reddit is up in arms. 

I agree with freeform, who gives a shit?  I make it a point to actively care less about anything I find out le reddit cares about.
Shoes...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:34:17 pm »

#firstworldgamingproblems

Really, this vid explains it better than I can.

He's treating corruption like it's a novel concept in the video games and video games journalism industries. It's not. This just happens to be incredibly salacious....which.....wait for it.....is exactly the kind of crap the media he criticizes glomps on to. Gotta get dat scoop!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:12 am »

Is it even incredibly salacious, though? I mean, salacious, sure, but incredibly? Maybe for video game media, I'unno, but the overviews I've seen in passing so far have been more than a little underwhelming insofar as pinging the salaciometer goes. Like, not even a tuesday in comparison to your average politician getting their whores and booze on.

Admittedly, that's probably because there's a hell of a lot more money being thrown at political blackjack and hookers, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:50 am »

lol sjw

literally all i have to say about this

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 01:03:27 am »

Yeah, this isn't really anything notable. Keep in mind, we in the games industry have always paid off the reviews by giving them free, early reviewer copies of games. Which may or may not include additional swag. Or money. I mean, heck, they even had the whole youtuber astroturfing issue which came up recently regarding paid game adverts presented as personal opinion, to the point where it was illegal.

Someone lying on the internet or using 4chan tactics? Pshaw, I say

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:34:57 am »

It's just an independent developer, why would anyone care? Personally, it's the first time I hear about her or her game.

For me, game industry started to rot when selling unfinished products was no longer frowned upon by players. It's not uncommon to see developers, who strip content from the base game, so it can be purchased in a bunch of DLCs shortly after its release. Or the "early access" thingy, where players are tricked to pay for a dream of their game, and they usually end up being disappointed.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 01:39:11 am »

For we the game industry started to rot when people discovered that hype brings more money than quality.
._.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 01:49:22 am »

Nailed it. All industries since the dawn of time have had corruption scandals... not sure what's so special about this one.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11