Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Domestic cave dragons, rocs, and hydras? Also, mountain dragon?  (Read 2181 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

I have been trying to get cave dragons, rocs, and hydras A: child bearing B: get hydras trainable (that was easy) and C: domestic, so I can get them from embark. I managed to make them appear in the embark menu, but instead of being loyal pet dragons, they ripped my dwarve's faces off. How can I get them to not rip my faces off?

Also, I'd seen a few people making new creatures just by copying RAW data and changing tags, which I tried to do. I made a creature like a smaller, less aggressive, cave dragon, called the mountain dragon. Biggest change is that it flies. Buuuut, it wont spawn on my mountain like I set it to. If I went on my laptop, I could provide the section of the RAWs that make it. And, how can I get it to grow faster? I don't feel like having grizzly bear sized dragons everywhere. Thanks!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic cave dragons, rocs, and hydras? Also, mountain dragon?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:08:48 pm »

Strange that that would attack your dwarves if they were tame. Not quite certain about what that could be without looking at the raws.

To make them birth children instead of adults, give them a [CHILD:#] tag. The number is the age at which they mature into an adult.

To make them appear in mountains, give them [BIOME:MOUNTAIN]. You may also want to check their frequency and population numbers to make sure they have a decent chance of appearing.

Finally, to make them grow quicker, find the BODY_SIZE token and lower the first number. The first number is what their age is at the size, with the second number is the age in days. The third number is their actual size at the specified age.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:46:30 pm »

[CREATURE:MOUNTAIN_DRAGON]
   [DESCRIPTION:A wild dragon, inhabiting mountainsides and rarely coming down. Known to steal food from unwary fortresses.]
   [NAME:mountain dragon:mountain dragons:mountain draconic]
   [CASTE_NAME:cave dragon:cave dragons:cave draconic]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'D'][COLOR:7:0:1]
   [NATURAL]   
   [PETVALUE:2000]
   [PET_EXOTIC]
   [FLIER]
   [TRAINABLE]
   [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
   [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:2:5]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1]
   [FREQUENCY:2]
   [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]
   [NOFEAR]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:10]
   [BONECARN]
   [PREFSTRING:impressive teeth]
   [PREFSTRING:large scales]
   [BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2WINGS:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5TOES_FQ_REG:5TOES_RQ_REG:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
      [REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
      [REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER]
      [REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
      [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
      [REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
      [REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
      [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SCALE:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CLAW:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:CLAW:FRONT]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LEATHERY_EGG_MATERIALS]
   [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
    [PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SCALE:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT]
      [TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RIBCAGE_POSITIONS]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
   [TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
   [LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
   [HAS_NERVES]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
   [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
   [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
   [GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
   [GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
   [PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:6000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1000:0:15000000]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
   [ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
      [ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
   [ATTACK:CLAW:CHILD_TISSUE_LAYER_GROUP:BY_TYPE:STANCE:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CLAW]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
      [ATTACK_VERB:claw:claws]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
   [CHILD:2]   
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:5]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:5]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:5]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:5]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10040]
   [CASTE:FEMALE]
      [FEMALE]
      [LAYS_EGGS]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGGSHELL:SOLID]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_WHITE:LIQUID]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
         [EGG_SIZE:6100]
         [CLUTCH_SIZE:1:5]
   [CASTE:MALE]
      [MALE]
   [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
      [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
            [TLCM_NOUN:scales:PLURAL]
      [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_GREEN:1]
            [TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
   [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
      [MULTIPLY_VALUE:2]

This is the RAW section for the Mountain Dragon. These haven't spawned on my 80% mountain biome from world 8, which I made with these in it's RAWs. I'm no modder, at least good, as everything I've tried has failed pretty badly. I tried to make dragon leather almost as good as steel, but lighter. I ended up somehow making it as heavy as slade. Don't ask how. What should I change the frequency and population to make it spawn more?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:54:00 pm »

With a population of 2:5, there will only ever be between two to five in a given mountain biome. With a frequency of 2, there will only be a 2% chance of it appearing in a mountain biome. I'm not sure about how rare you want these to be, but the numbers are quite low.

When you went to create leather, did you alter the existing leather template or did you create a new one? You can also alter the properties of materials inside of a creature's raws.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 06:01:13 pm »

With a population of 2:5, there will only ever be between two to five in a given mountain biome. With a frequency of 2, there will only be a 2% chance of it appearing in a mountain biome. I'm not sure about how rare you want these to be, but the numbers are quite low.

When you went to create leather, did you alter the existing leather template or did you create a new one? You can also alter the properties of materials inside of a creature's raws.
I'd like to make them about as frequent as giant cave spiders, maybe a little less. Giant bull moose size is about the size I want them to be, but I don't know which values to change and which to keep. Growth to adult size in 10 years, maybe add in a line in the description about incredible growth. These will look like a cave dragon, right? I altered the existing leather template to change it, but decided to delete and replace it with a normal one after I saw how heavy the armor had been made.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:11:53 pm »

Giant Cave Spiders have a similar population of 3:4, but a higher frequency of 20.

The first body size token is the size that the creature is when it is born, so you will probably want to keep that. I don't know what would happen if a creature did not have a set size for their birth.

Unless you have a graphics file for the dragon set up, the creature will appear as it would if you were playing with the default ASCII tileset, which would make it appear as a white 'D'.

A giant bull moose is size 4257750, so you would want to change [BODY_SIZE:1000:0:15000000] to [BODY_SIZE:10:0:4257750] if you want the dragon to reach full size in ten years.

Be careful when changing templates, as that will affect all creatures that use said template. Dragons and other scaled creatures would need to be changed to use leather, as they have scales, which cannot be tanned. They even have the skin and leather materials removed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:13:25 pm by BlackFlyme »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:20:56 pm »

Okay, thanks! Also, removing the [EVIL] and [LIKES_FIGHTING] tags makes sure this thing wont come flying down the mountainside to rip my people's faces off, right? Thanks a lot.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:39:44 pm »

[LIKES_FIGHTING] makes them less likely to flee in a fight, and more likely to attack.

[EVIL] only affects where the creature can appear. It makes the creature appear only in evil areas, which are known in-game as Sinister, Haunted, and Terrifying. The exception for this is cavern creatures, which can appear in non-evil areas even if they have the evil tag. [GOOD] is basically the opposite of evil, where the creature will only appear in good regions, but like [EVIL] is also ignored by cavern creatures. There is also the [SAVAGE] tag, which is similar to good and evil, only for the savage/calm axis instead of the good/evil one.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 07:05:18 pm »

Oh. Then I definitely want to keep [LIKES_FIGHTING]. I currently have a problem with my legendary axelords fleeing from hoary marmots. Which tag makes the dragon want to rip my dwarves faces off then? I'll get rid of [EVIL] though, because I HATE evil biomes.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:45 pm »

I'm not actually certain which tag is making them so aggressive towards your dwarves. It looks fine to me, unless one of those tags has changed between this version and 34.11

Originally I thought it may have been due to the creature being [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] or [CRAZED], which causes aggression towards most other units. I think it may be [NOFEAR], but I honestly have no idea.

Also, I just noticed that your creature is missing gaits, which control movement speed. It has [SWIM_SPEED:2500], but that tag, as well as the regular [SPEED:#], doesn't work any more, unless you are modding for version 34.11 or older.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 07:25:21 pm »

:o I don't see any [GAIT] in my 0.40.07 raws? Is this a very new thing?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »

It's a new thing since version 40.01, but most creatures just pull it from a creature variation instead of actually defining the gait within the creature itself.

For example, cave dragons have this:
Code: [Select]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_QUADRUPED_GAITS:900:750:600:439:1900:2900] 20 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 5 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 5 kph

You will need to give it a flying gait as well. You could just copy it off of a bird or some other flying creature.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:48 pm »

Thanks! I'll pull one out of Eagles I guess. So now I have a giant bull moose sized, fast growing, majesticly flying, fearless war animal that can breed. Yay! I set them up with the grizzly bear's [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] and [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] tokens, so these things will come out and try to take my food and drink sometimes. This will let me capture them in a similar way to a bear, with a stockpile of food surrounded by cave traps. I'll keep them out with walls, a roof, and a door. A corridor leading from the door of fortifications, with a drawbridge at the end, and my trade depot in that corridor too. This will keep these, and rocs, and HORRIBLE KEAS out of my fort, but still allow easy trade and access to the outside. Thanks for your help!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 07:41:08 pm »

Feel free to borrow my mountain dragon if you want. New creatures are always fun. Especially learning how to deal with them.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 08:06:29 pm »

I may be making them too good, but I think I'll toss in [CAN_LEARN] into the mix as well, so they get better at ripping goblins apart. A Roc would slaughter these one-on-one though. A few of them? Good bye Roc.
Pages: [1] 2