Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Internal Refuse Dump  (Read 1316 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Internal Refuse Dump
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »

I usually put my dump outside and eventually enclose it with a wall and then an internal access path.  This way my dwarfs don't have to go outside to dump the trash.

However, current map is pretty small external area that I'll need to monopolize for grazing it appears.

I'm thinking of doing an internal dump.  I'm guessing a long hall, with multiple doors to block miasma.  However, is there a way to channel or vent the miasma to the outside?  How would I do that?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Internal Refuse Dump
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:11:06 pm »

Avoiding miasma on the wiki might be helpful.

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:11:47 pm »

miasma doesn't spread diagonally so remember that when you make the dump access points.
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:12:07 pm »

If you channel down to the expected miasma squares from the surface, then they will be outside and won't have miasma. You can build floors to block the holes after the light has got down there once.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »

Read the wiki...the little diagrams were a little hard to figure out (direction etc).  Hence the question.

I channeled down from the ground floor and then dug out a refuse room with access in the room to the "vent".  I've put a grate over the channel at the top and will wall it in at some point.

In doing a "look" at the refuse room, ONLY the vent hole shows Outside and Light, the rest of the room is inside and dark.  Does this change over time?  Or will I be good with the grate/wall combo on it?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:27 pm »

In doing a "look" at the refuse room, ONLY the vent hole shows Outside and Light, the rest of the room is inside and dark.  Does this change over time?  Or will I be good with the grate/wall combo on it?
If you want a large refuse stockpile, you need to channel out the entire ceiling and then fill it back in afterwards. Also, you don't need to (and also can't) use grates for this - constructed floors should suffice.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:29:47 pm »

You don't have to vent it, but you would have to create outside tiles.

---

Diagonal passageways are likely the simplest way of dealing with miasma.

Implementing an airlock of sorts, with two doors is all acceptable.  Be aware that dumping the refuse by hand will result in unhappy thoughts as they travel into the room to dispose of it, and maybe put something to cheer them up (I put statues by the door myself).

You could use the idea of an actual midden, a pit to dump your waste into.  It would be like any other pit you dig, likely multiple stories up, so that the stench that reaches the top is minimal.

Another possibility is a bridge dump/
The idea is to build a bridge over a pit, a large one if you plan to store a lot over it.  When it is full, you retract the bridge and it falls, into lava or whatever.

And my favorite method of (sentient) corpse grinding is the compacter.  A large room with an equally large bridge on one side.  Set a lever up outside and the bridge to lift, fill the room, pull the lever and no more corpses.  You wont even get miasma if you act fast enough.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:31:41 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »

I'm going to try to figure out the dumb waiter method with a pressure plate and a hatch.  That's way more advanced than I've ever gotten in any fortress.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:13:54 am »

Step 1:  Clear a room for the stockpile.  Just a normal room.  I prefer putting a butcher shop and a tannery next to mine.
            Leave a single block undug somewhere in the room.

Step 2:  Channel a 1x1 chute from the surface down to the single undug block.  If you accidentally channel the block, just floor it.

Step 3:  Build a track stop set to dump onto the tile that is now 'above ground'

Step 4:  Put a 1x1, Set to only take from other stockpiles/workshops, Custom stockpile on the above ground tile.
            Set to Corpse and Refuse

Step 5:  Put your normal refuse pile next to it.  Bigger is better, as the bigger it is the more hauling jobs it can hand out.

Step 6:  Quantum Stockpile it!  Create a route, and put a stop right on the Track-stop.
            Tell it to take from the main refuse stockpile
            Set desired items to Corpses and Refuse
            Back out to the Route screen and give the route a mine-cart.

Result:  Dwarfs will haul refuse to the underground refuse pile, but then move it to the mine-cart.  The mine-cart, being on a dumping track-stop, will automatically unload it onto the above ground 1x1 refuse stockpile.