Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: The Bay12 Island Project  (Read 16619 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Island Project
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2014, 12:30:29 pm »

Yes.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2014, 12:32:39 pm »

Looks promising. It'd add a bunch to our start up cost, but it might actually save us a bunch of money.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2014, 12:37:02 pm »

For that cost, it may be cheaper to rent tools than buy.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2014, 12:37:58 pm »

I think that's not to buy, but to make. But yes, renting would be cheaper.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2014, 01:24:28 pm »

PTW.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2014, 01:31:40 pm »

For that cost, it may be cheaper to rent tools than buy.
Aye, not every tool there would be cost effective to build it. The ones that would be used more often though? Might be a better choice to build it than to continuously rent it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2014, 01:31:48 pm »

I can't tell if this is serious or not

I think many in the thread are not serious. I think a few are serious...but not well grounded in reality. I think a few are serious and have some idea what would be involved, but I'm not sure it's enough in that last group for the project to happen. The big problem is location. We're too spread out. I mean, think about it: if you could pitch in $100 for what basically amounts to a couple acres of communal campground, would you? I bet some of us would. And there probably really are a couple people who could casually throw a few thousand dollars at something like this if they really wanted to.

The problem is that, those of us able to put in thousands...we could simply buy property on our own without bay12, and we could buy something close enough to us personally that we'd actually visit it from time to time. Lake I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've done this. I bought land in Lake Arrowhead a few years back, planning to build my own house as a fun project that would eventually result in a vacation home. Check youtube. Plenty of people do this. We all need hobbies. Problem I found was that it's a crazy-ridiculous amount of work. But...if it were a communal project, that workload would be distributed among people with more suitable inclinations and skills. $10,000 for a couple of acres of land...that's nice, but I'm not likely to build a house on my own. But $100 for a "for fun" project that a dozen different people would randomly contribute to over a couple years? Sure.

I can imagine driving for a couple hours to a site with a couple hundred dollars worth of cinder blocks and concrete, camping over the weekend in the shack that Glloyd had built a few months prior, leaving the materials. Come back a few months later to find somebody had built a flat foundation, a firepit, and oh...looks like somebody cut down a dozen trees with a chainsaw and they're in a pile over there. Bring a friend, make smores. Show up the next summer and oh, looks like somebody had a steel shipping crate hauled and laid on the foundation. And, oh look. It's full of earth dome bags and several dozen wooden pallets that somebody scavenged for free from local hardware stores. Come back next summer, see that the logs boards from the pallets are now a half-finished cabin. Maybe somebody will finish it at some point.

But again, the problem is location. If we can get enough of us close enough that it's "a couple hours drive" I could see that sort of development over a couple years. Summer vacations, weekends with friends, etc. But the more I think about it the more skeptical I am that this is realistic if it requires airfare and car rentals for most of us even just to get there. There are going to be a lot more of us willing and able to toss in a $100 for a "sure, why not?" project and then drive 100 miles once or twice a year than there are people willing and able to spend $100...but also willing to spend $500 on airfare and car rental every time they want to visit.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2014, 01:33:13 pm »

Just buy that island thats completely covered in snakes. Should be cheap, right?
I don't think Australia is for sale. Not for that price anyway.
I think they may be talking about this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2014, 01:42:57 pm »

But again, the problem is location.
I may not have a profession that is relevant, but if there's one thing that my job has taught me, it's how to use a spreadsheet.
What I'm going to do is setup a spreadsheet that allows anyone to put in their general location, which will then map out where our population is at its densest, and where the most people are 300 miles from.
BRB with it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2014, 02:24:51 pm »

The map. It should update as people input their locations.

The spreadsheet. Enter your general location in Coordinate form. I used the coords provided by Wikipedia for my city. If you don't feel comfortable attaching your name to your location, you can leave that empty.
Edit: It works.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:31:08 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2014, 02:35:22 pm »

Who the devil else lived in Iowa City? I left a month ago, but damn, could've had a convenient little meet-up.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2014, 02:46:09 pm »

I can imagine driving for a couple hours to a site with a couple hundred dollars worth of cinder blocks and concrete, camping over the weekend in the shack that Glloyd had built a few months prior, leaving the materials. Come back a few months later to find somebody had built a flat foundation, a firepit, and oh...looks like somebody cut down a dozen trees with a chainsaw and they're in a pile over there. Bring a friend, make smores. Show up the next summer and oh, looks like somebody had a steel shipping crate hauled and laid on the foundation. And, oh look. It's full of earth dome bags and several dozen wooden pallets that somebody scavenged for free from local hardware stores. Come back next summer, see that the logs boards from the pallets are now a half-finished cabin. Maybe somebody will finish it at some point.

But again, the problem is location. If we can get enough of us close enough that it's "a couple hours drive" I could see that sort of development over a couple years. Summer vacations, weekends with friends, etc. But the more I think about it the more skeptical I am that this is realistic if it requires airfare and car rentals for most of us even just to get there. There are going to be a lot more of us willing and able to toss in a $100 for a "sure, why not?" project and then drive 100 miles once or twice a year than there are people willing and able to spend $100...but also willing to spend $500 on airfare and car rental every time they want to visit.

That's kind of what I was imagining as well, but you hit it on the nose. We may be a bit too spread out for this to be anywhere near practical, although it is a nice thought.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:50:58 pm by Glloyd »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2014, 02:51:31 pm »

The map.

People who live close to each other appear as only a single map blip.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2014, 02:53:39 pm »

The map.

People who live close to each other appear as only a single map blip.
Unless you zoom in. That said, I'll see what I can do.
Edit: The answer is nothing. I can't change the way the pins look at this stage.
That said, I've set it up so it looks like a heat map. The more people in an area, the hotter it gets. If that doesn't tickle your fancy, here's the same map, with proper pins this time. It still has the same problem, with people close together overlapping.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:59:41 pm by My Name is Immaterial »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14