Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: The Bay12 Island Project  (Read 16647 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: The Bay12 Island Project
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2014, 11:33:01 pm »

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:37:22 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2014, 11:35:53 pm »

566.25 acres for $90000
This place? Sounds pretty good. We'd get surface and mineral rights, too.
Over 2000 miles away and in a different country than I am. Also, 50 degrees Fareinheit...during summer Also, census data is a couple years old, but looks like as of three years ago the population of the nearest town was 424.

If you guys want to do that, more power to you. It does sound like we have a lot of Canadians in the thread. But personally, this both more expensive and way farther away than I was imagining. And colder. And more remote.
If you have a better idea, I'd be glad to hear it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2014, 11:36:50 pm »

Alberta...
Whaddabout Alberta?
I happen to live there...
Sorry if that was unclear.
Oh, I see, heh. I thought there was something bad associated with Alberta, or something. All I know about it is the name and rodeo.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:12 pm »

As it stands, I need all of my monies for college, so I probably won't be investing in this. Cool as it sounds. I do have experience hunting deer and small game (that includes butchering and cooking) as well as some more limited experience growing plants for food. I can also acquire guns and ammunition with very little difficulty, but I don't know what Canada will let me import (I live in Northern Ohio, right on the lakes.) I have no other useful skills. Keep in mind that anyone can dig a ditch though.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46:47 pm »

That's better than me. I do Archivist work.

Hardly practical.

Anyway, no more input tonight. I stand by the Elk option, but may change my mind when next I read this thread, after I wake up.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2014, 12:39:13 am »

Just caught up on this thread.

If this is serious, I would have ~$200 ATM to pitch in. I would love to contribute more in five to ten years, when I'm out of college and have a job.

I currently live in southern California, but am moving to northern California for college in about a month.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:56 am »

If you have a better idea, I'd be glad to hear it.

I propose we collectively agree on a set of criteria, then watch for properties that meet those criteria. That might take a few weeks. I realize that inertia of enthusiasm is a factor, but I think it would be better to get something good that we want rather than simply jump at the first option.

But, just for example after some looking I found this:

10 acres in Texas (Two 5-acre parcels being sold together)
Buy it now price: $8155
Taxes: $35/yr/parcel = $70/yr total

10 acres in West Texas for $8155

Average temperature range: 25F in January to 97F in July
Annual Rainfall: 10 inches

Features:
 * Paved road access
 * Water and electrical access to property
 * Phone lines along road
 * ~6 miles from town center of Dell City: population 350
 * ~7 miles from US Interstate Highway 62
 * 86 miles from El Paso  International airport

Less than one tenth the price as the Ontario property, and with road, water, electrical and phone access. 10 acres is not small. Though like Elk Lakes, it is remote. I'd personally prefer something closer to civilization.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2014, 12:58:55 am »

Ten acres of scrubland is different than ten acres of dense forest with wildlife, wood and mineral rights, though. Maybe Wyoming, Oregon, or even the north Midwest would be more suitable.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2014, 01:00:28 am »

Yay! Let's all be crazy squinty-eyed hillbillies and take potshots at tax collectors! :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:05 am »

Ten acres of scrubland is different than ten acres of dense forest with wildlife, wood and mineral rights, though. Maybe Wyoming, Oregon, or even the north Midwest would be more suitable.
Yay! Let's all be crazy squinty-eyed hillbillies and take potshots at tax collectors! :))
+1

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2014, 01:11:25 am »

I like the texas thing, but then we can't have a micronation worthy of a non-stub wikipedia article. Oil rig sounds cool, though. I always thought those looked cool as hell.

Anyway, new yorker here. And not filthy city folk, we upstaters hate getting lumped in with those trollocs of Shayol Ghul.

I call part of the rough architect team. Right now. No joke. I love designing building concepts.

Also, being a highschooler planning for a bachelor's or associate's degree, I won't be able to contribute for 4-6 years at least, more likely a decade at most. If the project is somehow complete by then, my best shot would be convincing a summer vacation trip close enough to the fort to drop by for a day or so or save up assloads of cash for gas, water, and one of the big 48-packs of poptarts and borrow the car of a friend/family member during a break to visit in the off season.

At the moment, I unfortunately don't have the cash to contribute, barring a couple dollars at the most.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2014, 01:39:33 am »

Ok, that's fine if it's what we want to do. Oregon is fine by me. Wyoming might be ok. But this is the stuff we need to think about and decide on.

Things I want
 * Isn't thousands of miles away. I'm in califonia.
 * Has to be in a temperature zone that people can reasonably stay  in tents, sleep in cars, etc.
 * Must have road access. I don't care if it's a dirt road, but we can't need a 4x4 truck or helicopter to get to the property.
 * Needs to be reasonably close to an airport. Under 50 miles would be nice.
 * Needs to be reasonably close to a reasonably sized town. It would be nice to be within at most 5-10 miles of a place that sells concrete, a grocery store, a restaurant and a hotel.
 * Has to be at least 2 acres. More would be good. 5-10 is plenty.
 * Has to be cheap enough that $100-$500 is a reasonable contribution to expect per person. Yes, it's possible somebody might pitch in $5000, but let's not depend on dozens of people doing that.
 * It would be nice if the property were mostly flat, bur with enough mild sloping in at least some places that earth sheltering and drainage issues are easier.
 * Property taxes have to be low enough that they don't create issues. If it's $70/yr, people can pitch it $5-10, and somebody will just take care of it if there's a shortfall. If it's $2000/yr, that's a problem.

Things not particularly important to me, or that I don't want:
 * I think water and electrical access are probably not necessary provided it's close to grocery stores and things. Yes, we'll probably end up building permanent structures eventually, but log cabin/cob hut/pavillion tent is sufficient. Having a monthly water/sewage/electrical bill creates logistics difficulties.
 * I would prefer the place not be completely covered in trees. I personally used to own some forest land in Lake Arrowhead, and however nice it sounds in theory, it can be difficult to build on because the trees get in the way. If it's big enough and has a couple areas with trees, maybe a river and some empty plains, that's ok, but a complete patch of dense woodlands is trouble we don't want. Have you ever cut down a tree? I have. It is not fun. Also, this idea of using on-site wood as building material...yeah, that's not as easy as dwarf fortress might lead you to believe. Also remember we're not going to have power outlets, so no power tools. Go to your garage and cut through a single pre-cut 2x4 with a hand saw, and then come back and tell us how you want to cut down trees and use them as building material.
 * I don't require hunting to be an option
 * I don't require a river or lake
 * Doesn't need to be absolutely massive. Hundreds of acres means a dozen of us could all show up at the same time, deliberately look for each other and never find each other. Especially if it's all trees. 5 acres would be ok. 10 would be ok. 20 would be ok. 160 acres? It just doesn't need to be that big.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2014, 01:45:41 am »

I agree with LordBucket's points. Consider them +1'd. Although, I'll add one more:
 * Is a location that is not / does not get too hot. 20 to maybe 25 degrees is about my limit for comfort. I can maybe survive 30, but anything more than that is a no-go.

+1
I can't say no to this.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2014, 02:04:42 am »

PTW.
Also, name suggestion for the island/micronation/retreat/settlement: Daggersocks.

I wish I had something to seriously contribute to this project.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2014, 04:43:33 am »

If you tried to cut down a tree with a HAND SAW, no wonder it wasn't fun, LB...  ??? chainsaws don't require power outlets.

But anyway, moot points, since as you hint at, nobody's gonna take a bunch of trees to a damn sawmill and then dry them for a year and then finish them and then build a house out of them and then paint them.

Just sayin' though.

@35 C my fat starts melting, personally.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14